Author Topic: Pitomba planter question  (Read 1220 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Pitomba planter question
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
Hi all. I'd like to plant a pitomba (E. luschnathiana) in a bottomless concrete box measuring 60"×43". Will it do well in there and will it not eventually try to break through the concrete? Any other fruit trees you'd recommend for such a space? Thank you!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Pitomba planter question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
That is a very big planter box and being bottomless I expect the roots will have no need to break through.  ???

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
Seems right, though it's pretty deep and some plants don't want to send roots down so much as sideways. Everything I've read seems to imply that it will work, I just wanted to reassure myself that in 10 years I won't be faced with either moving or axing the plant.
We actually have 3 of these boxes - can anyone suggest other trees that would be happy in them?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »
A grumachama and jaboticaba are great landscape trees in addition of fruit

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
size is fine. pitomba roots not aggressive. If the concrete is relatively fresh, it could contribute to chlorosis due to high ph.
Jeff  :-)

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »
size is fine. pitomba roots not aggressive. If the concrete is relatively fresh, it could contribute to chlorosis due to high ph.
No worries there this is old construction. In fact concrete box is incorrect they're really made of stone with concrete mortar. The original property owners/builders planted decorative palms in there that are busting through the walls now. We're killing ourselves digging them out! But we're determined to get it done now to plant new stuff in there as the rainy season is starting.
A grumachama and jaboticaba are great landscape trees in addition of fruit
I happen to have both in bags waiting to plant out! My hesitation with the grumi is it's soooooo slow-growing it will take forever to start looking good in the box. As for jabos, are their roots aggressive? I know they can get pretty big...

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
I plant first and if I come up with something better than the old i move it to make room for the new

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk