Author Topic: Durian Presentation and Party in Los Angeles  (Read 8618 times)

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
Durian Presentation and Party in Los Angeles
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
Hi Fruit fans!

I want to let you know that my husband Rob and I have returned to the USA from our one year durian obsessive trip around Southeast Asia (www.yearofthedurian.com). To celebrate, we will be hosting a durian tasting and presentation in tandem with Fruitluck in Los Angeles.

You can find out more information and register here: http://www.meetup.com/Fruitluck/events/95947862/

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:47:58 AM by durianwriter »
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Durian Presentation and Party in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
hey Lindsay ! I love your blog! cant wait for the book!

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
Man...thought some of us were hard-core traveling places to eat rare fruit.  But an entire year?!  Incredible.  Do you do this all the time?

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »
Hi Fruit fans!

I want to let you know that my husband Rob and I have returned to the USA from our one year durian obsessive trip around Southeast Asia (www.yearofthedurian.com). To celebrate, we will be hosting an all-you-can-eat durian buffet and presentation in tandem with Fruitluck in Los Angeles.

You can find out more information and register here: http://www.meetup.com/Fruitluck/events/95947862/

Lindsay
This sounds awesome! Would have loved to attend. You gotta do one in Florida!!!
Noel

FloridaGreenMan

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
Interesting and sounds pretty close to Burbank. I see they're going to record it. Would it be okay if I made a recording for my personal records?

I'll sign up in any case.

I see Rob is interested in mushrooms. Does he go to LAMS meetings? I'm still trying to figure out who all their members are.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:10:25 AM by fyliu »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
Hi Fruit fans!

I want to let you know that my husband Rob and I have returned to the USA from our one year durian obsessive trip around Southeast Asia (www.yearofthedurian.com). To celebrate, we will be hosting a durian tasting and presentation in tandem with Fruitluck in Los Angeles.

Sounds like a fantastic adventure Lindsey. Next time around you should include Myanmar (Burma). There were huge piles of durian New Year's day in capital city Yangon (Rangoon). I learned last day there best place to find all the fruit vendors is in Chinatown. I'll try to post photos and more info. later.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
@ Fruitlovers

We did want to go to Myanmar! At the time it was recommended we not go to Myanmar on a US passport, and the southern borders were closed making transport very expensive and inconvenient. Next time :)

@fyliu
We're okay with casual recordings, but please don't publish it on the internet, including on youtube.

@ohiojay
This is our first fruit-fanatical project. We do have more ideas though :D

Hope to see you there!
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
What a great way to spend a year together traveling and eating wonderful fruits and food.  It is very tempting to make a trip in LA for this one.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »

Sounds like a fantastic adventure Lindsey. Next time around you should include Myanmar (Burma). There were huge piles of durian New Year's day in capital city Yangon (Rangoon). I learned last day there best place to find all the fruit vendors is in Chinatown. I'll try to post photos and more info. later.

In Dec-Jan the durian that is sold in Burma is imported from Thailand.  So going to Burma then for durian would not be a good idea.   The Burmese durian season is more like May-June.

I had one durian during my Dec trip in Burma and it was on the low side in terms of quality (because it was probably picked early, spent a fair time in shipping...).  A number of other durians I encountered during the trip didn't pass the smell test (unlike most people durian smells good to me, unless it has gone bad).

December/Jan is not a great time for fruit in Burma.  The durian, mangosteen, salak.... are all imported from Thailand at that point.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
@fyliu
We're okay with casual recordings, but please don't publish it on the internet, including on youtube.
Thanks. It's just a costco camera for personal videos. It won't be public. I have no video editing skills to make anything look nice so I don't publish things.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »

In Dec-Jan the durian that is sold in Burma is imported from Thailand.  So going to Burma then for durian would not be a good idea.   The Burmese durian season is more like May-June.

I had one durian during my Dec trip in Burma and it was on the low side in terms of quality (because it was probably picked early, spent a fair time in shipping...).  A number of other durians I encountered during the trip didn't pass the smell test (unlike most people durian smells good to me, unless it has gone bad).

December/Jan is not a great time for fruit in Burma.  The durian, mangosteen, salak.... are all imported from Thailand at that point.

I'm not completely certain, but it's possible that Burma experiences a second season in December/January. Most places do, and several people in southern Thailand have emailed me to report that the second season is on down there. I could believe that there is durian growing in southern Burma right now.  As for the quality, if it is the smaller second season, then yes the quality will be poor. It would be very interesting to find out if Burma has a second season!
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
I'm not completely certain, but it's possible that Burma experiences a second season in December/January. Most places do, and several people in southern Thailand have emailed me to report that the second season is on down there. I could believe that there is durian growing in southern Burma right now.  As for the quality, if it is the smaller second season, then yes the quality will be poor. It would be very interesting to find out if Burma has a second season!

It definitely does not have a second season in Dec / Jan.  Hopefully they might "develop" one by growing the right varieties in the southern part of the country.
I was just there and before I went my travel agent (a Burmese company) told me that mangosteen and durian were not in season then.  My local drivers all told me the durian and mangosteen being sold were imported from Thailand.  Finally examining/trying/eating the fruits showed that they were all far from peak fresheness (durian, mangosteen- I didn't even try the salak as that has to be really fresh to be palatable) which fits for importing stuff from Thailand and long transit times on Burma's poor roadways.

I also believe the mangoes sold then are imported, and I think the jackfruit is too (I saw many Jackfruit trees in Burma but no fruits).

I think Burma has a lot of really cool stuff... unfortunately, it seems like a lot of unique things have been abandoned in favor of commodity crops.

I did see one winter ready Garcinia.  Sadly it was not ripe in Dec... maybe late in January or Feb.  When I asked about it I was told it wasn't something that was sold (I plucked it from a tree in Yangon).  I'll post pics of it later.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »

That is not correct. There were tons of durians in Yangon and they were not imported. True they were not as good quality as the ones i had in Thailand at same time, but pretty good nevertheless. Not sure what cultivar the ones in Yangon were but they were definitely not Thai cultivar. The mangosteens i ate were excellent quality in Yangon. Don't know if they are imported, but i doubt it because price was too low.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what tour operators tell you about fruits. That is not exactly in their realm of knowledge. I trust what fruit distributors and wholesale markets say a lot more. The durians in Yangon were a strange yellow/orange/pinkish pulp. Here are a whole bunch for sale in Chinatown:

Not like the Montongs and Kan Yaos available in Thailand at the same time. If you look at a map you will see that southern Myanmar goes much further south than Bangkok. The deep south of Myanmar is mostly off limits to tourists.
I didn't see salak available anywhere in Bangkok. Also the salak i saw in Yangon was very different looking from Thai type salaks.
I did see jackfruit being sold also in Yangon, but not a lot. Jackfruit in the tropics bears year round, just less in winter. Also this is a low value fruit, so i doubt it is ever imported in its fresh state. This is also a shot taken in Chinatown. This lady was cleaning giant jacks, i estimate in 50-75 pound range, putting them in trays, ready for convenient eating.

Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what tour operators tell you about fruits. That is not exactly in their realm of knowledge. I trust what fruit distributors and wholesale markets say a lot more. The durians in Yangon were a strange yellow/orange/pinkish pulp. Here are a whole bunch for sale in Chinatown:

Not like the Montongs and Kan Yaos available in Thailand at the same time. If you look at a map you will see that southern Myanmar goes much further south than Bangkok. The deep south of Myanmar is mostly off limits to tourists.
I didn't see salak available anywhere in Bangkok. Also the salak i saw in Yangon was very different looking from Thai type salaks.
I did see jackfruit being sold also in Yangon, but not a lot. Jackfruit in the tropics bears year round, just less in winter. Also this is a low value fruit, so i doubt it is ever imported in its fresh state. This is also a shot taken in Chinatown. This lady was cleaning giant jacks, i estimate in 50-75 pound range, putting them in trays, ready for convenient eating.

I fail to see why I should disregard the opinion of people who have lived their whole life in the area.  True they aren't fruit experts, but knowing what season fruits are fresh in... that's pretty basic and it seems really odd to argue they wouldn't know that.  Especially when what I saw was that none of the durians I was looking at looked even vaguely fresh.  Most of the durian didn't smell fresh which means they spent a long time before they got to market (either that means they were imported or someone inexplicably put them in a warehouse for no know reason).  The one I did eat (which didn't smell bad) was unusually dry and chewy, indicating it has been picked early and become desiccated somewhat.  Moreover the durian WAS expensive if you compare it to what you get elsewhere- also consistent with imported.  Many of the durians I saw had a brown grey tinge to the outer coat and smelled like they were going bad (to me durian smells good unless it is over the hill)... they looked just like the ones I've seen in Taipei (Taiwan imports durian).  While I like "old school durian" (that is varieties that weren't developed to pick early and were allowed to drop) these seemed like Thai ones to me since the ones that were splitting open all smelled pretty bad (as you have made a big deal about previously the pick early varieties are no longer fresh when they start to split).  The one durian I ate had light yellow pulp, nothing terribly unusual there.  They were also big, just like Thai varieties, and the locals talked about their durians being smaller and sweeter.  In short everything observed lined up with them being imported and not local.

Same was true with the mangosteen, they were relatively pricey, many looked old (brown rather than purple) and the quality wasn't the greatest.

The salaks I saw in Yangon I have seen in Bangkok before... so I really don't know what you're talking about there.

On the jackfruit I'm not willing to make any bets, I thought it might be imported since I didn't see any fruits on any of the trees I saw... but that's not proof and I'm not making an strong statement there.. just a guess.

Chinatown is just one of many places to get fruits in Yangon.  At various times of the day various markets (formal and informal) are open.  You can buy fruits in numerous locations, same with fried foods, noodles, you can also buy used clothes, custom signs, used electronics for scrap, and finally come across even odder things as you walk about such as medium sized vultures tied up in the downtown area (the two I saw seemed to be doing ok, I was tempted to pet one of them but didn't as I realized it could well snap off a finger with its beak).  Yangon has to be one of the more unusual cities I've wandered about.  It is also surprisingly friendly for a city of ~5 million people as my wife and I had strangers come up to us and wish us a happy new year.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »
If you look at a map you will see that southern Myanmar goes much further south than Bangkok. The deep south of Myanmar is mostly off limits to tourists.

Your "geography" observation is a bit strange to say the least.

It is true that parts of Burma do go further south than where Bangkok is at but I really don't see what that proves one way or another.

Peninsular Thailand (which has a bigger area than peninsular Burma) goes considerably further south than Peninsular Burma.

The Irrawaddy flood plains (one of Burma's breadbaskets, along with other areas like Inle lake) is ALL north of Bangkok.

Also there are non-peninsular areas on Thailand (like Chantaburi, Trad, Rayong) which aren't quite as far south as the tip of peninsular Burma... but they get about 2/3rds of the way down.

The geographic conclusion is that Thailand has a lot more land considerably further south than Burma.  Even if you just compare centroids the one for Thailand is a lot further south than that for Burma.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »
I'm still in Myanmar. I guess i will have to get a signed statement from minister of Agriculture for you to believe it, but yes durians are grown here. I don't trust what tour operators, taxi drivers, etc. tell me completely first because often their english is rudimentary and will tend to say yes, yes, yes to everything you ask them. Also if you ask a tour operator in New York where the current apples in market are coming from do you think they will necessarily give you a good answer? Also many people in Myanmar don't eat durians because it is out of their price range, or they simply don't like it. So not everyone is an expert on where they are coming from.
I saw a lot more durians on streets of Myanmar than in streets of Bangkok, and this was very surprising to me. In that photo i posted you only see one side of sidewalk, but one vendor had many hundreds of fruits piled high and deep. In Bangkok only a few cart vendors had a few fruits. The price of durian in Yangon was not at all expensive for durian. It ranged in price depending on size from 3,000 to 7,000 kyat, which equals about $3.50 to $8. I payed about the same price in Bangkok. The really expensive fruits in Yangon were the imported temperate fruits which were also wrapped in individual styrofoam socks. I think a lot of the citrus is also imported because it is very large, shiny with wax, sold by the piece rather than kilo and quite expensive.
The statement of location on map is to show to Jaime, who preciously said he thought Myanmar was too cold to grow durians, that Myanmar has plenty of tropical areas able to grow durian.
It's true that the mangosteens in Yangon didn't look very good on outside, but they tasted great on the inside. The ones in Bangkok had same bad looking exterior. Clearly not best time of the year in either place for either fruit, but i was surprised to see it in such abundance at this time of year, especially in Myanmar.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Found out today that the durians in Myanmar come from southeastern state called Mon state. The growing region is roughly between the towns of Mudon and Thanbyuzayat. That is about a 10 hour bus ride southeast of the capital Yangon. (There is also an airport not too far away from growing region.) So anyone doubting it can go there and see it for themselves. That area is open for tourists, but travel south of Thanbyuzayat may be restricted.
Thai durians are imported to Myanmar also and are usually the bigger Monthongs from Thailand.  The durians i saw so far were not Monthong, or any other Thai variety i know of.
The local word for durian is du-yin.
Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
I'm still in Myanmar. I guess i will have to get a signed statement from minister of Agriculture for you to believe it, but yes durians are grown here. I don't trust what tour operators, taxi drivers, etc. tell me completely first because often their english is rudimentary and will tend to say yes, yes, yes to everything you ask them. Also if you ask a tour operator in New York where the current apples in market are coming from do you think they will necessarily give you a good answer? Also many people in Myanmar don't eat durians because it is out of their price range, or they simply don't like it. So not everyone is an expert on where they are coming from.
I saw a lot more durians on streets of Myanmar than in streets of Bangkok, and this was very surprising to me. In that photo i posted you only see one side of sidewalk, but one vendor had many hundreds of fruits piled high and deep. In Bangkok only a few cart vendors had a few fruits. The price of durian in Yangon was not at all expensive for durian. It ranged in price depending on size from 3,000 to 7,000 kyat, which equals about $3.50 to $8. I payed about the same price in Bangkok. The really expensive fruits in Yangon were the imported temperate fruits which were also wrapped in individual styrofoam socks. I think a lot of the citrus is also imported because it is very large, shiny with wax, sold by the piece rather than kilo and quite expensive.
The statement of location on map is to show to Jaime, who preciously said he thought Myanmar was too cold to grow durians, that Myanmar has plenty of tropical areas able to grow durian.
It's true that the mangosteens in Yangon didn't look very good on outside, but they tasted great on the inside. The ones in Bangkok had same bad looking exterior. Clearly not best time of the year in either place for either fruit, but i was surprised to see it in such abundance at this time of year, especially in Myanmar.

Again, what season things are ripe in is pretty basic knowledge and I'll always believe people who live there their whole life rather than someone who has just visited for a few weeks (doing otherwise would be nutty to say the least).  The people I talked to didn't say "yes" "yes" "yes", they described when the local durian season was and what the local durian looked like (small durians, not like the good sized ones I saw in the market).  Plus you've offered no good explanation of why the vast majority of the durian I encountered wasn't fresh.  Basically you're just asserting that they are local durians and you have no evidence to back it up.  Moreover, you seem to be arguing that you know the seasons of fruits in a country where you spent only a few weeks better than locals.  That is such an outrageous statement it is pretty obvious everyone should disregard it and the other statements that follow.

Yes, before I believe you I would have to see some reasonable evidence.   Growing them in the Mon state doesn't mean they are ready in Dec-Jan, it just means some are grown in the Mon state.  BTW most of the Mon state lies North of the major durian growing regions of Thailand.

Some of the citrus being sold in Burma is imported, but winter is also the season for Burmese citrus and I know a large fraction of the citrus is local.  I saw in central/northern Burma large citrus groves bearing fruit.  Also Burmese markets tend to have citrus types that aren't popular elsewhere (such as really big lemons).

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
Gee wiz Oscar!  We did not realize your lack of knowledge when it comes to tropical fruit and traveling!  First time out of the country?  What is it again that you do in Hawaii?  I stopped a taxi driver this morning and asked him about the durian in our Asian markets here in Columbus, Oh.  He told me that even though they are frozen, they are grown and harvested in Cleveland.  Who would have known?!  I'm looking forward to that signed statement from the Minister of Agriculture.  So please obtain that before you leave the country.  I'll try and find out the harvest season for those Cleveland durians.  Other than that...please enjoy the rest of your tours!  J

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
Gee wiz Oscar!  We did not realize your lack of knowledge when it comes to tropical fruit and traveling!  First time out of the country?  What is it again that you do in Hawaii?  I stopped a taxi driver this morning and asked him about the durian in our Asian markets here in Columbus, Oh.  He told me that even though they are frozen, they are grown and harvested in Cleveland.  Who would have known?!  I'm looking forward to that signed statement from the Minister of Agriculture.  So please obtain that before you leave the country.  I'll try and find out the harvest season for those Cleveland durians.  Other than that...please enjoy the rest of your tours!  J

Yeah, I keep forgetting you two know infinitely more than people who live their entire life in a country, how arrogant of me.  Maybe you should go to Burma sometime and tell them all the many things they don't know, just like Oscar.  That wouldn't be pompous and racist at all would it?  But hey you two know infinitely more than those "silly little brown people" who just happen to live there.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Yeah, I keep forgetting you two know infinitely more than people who live their entire life in a country, how arrogant of me.  Maybe you should go to Burma sometime and tell them all the many things they don't know, just like Oscar.  That wouldn't be pompous and racist at all would it?  But hey you two know infinitely more than those "silly little brown people" who just happen to live there.

Tabbydan,
No need to get insulting and bring up racism. That is totally unrelated to the conversation.

You made a few statements saying that there is no way that durians are in season in Myanmar. Oscar disagreed. Why should your statement be regarded as fact and not Oscars? Disagreements are to be expected in a forum, but insults are not tolerated.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »
Durians being harvested in Ohio?

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/4a/8b/ee4e62e89da0a9a59f706110.L.jpg

mod edit: removed hot linked image
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:10:05 AM by murahilin »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
All the durians i bought in Yangon in 3 different occasions and different locations were very fresh. Shipped durians that have been refrigerated become discolored on exterior and turn more brownish. I think you can see from my photos this is not the case.
Also it is not my opinion after only a couple of weeks here in this country versus the opinion of your travel agent, who has lived there all his life. Rather it is the opinion of all the fruit venodrs i asked here, who have also lived here all their lives.
You have to realize that fruit seasons can change from year to year. As Lindsey pointed out previously in this thread some years durians can have a second flush and be fruiting at this time of year. Also planting areas and acreages change and importation also changes. Tour operators are very good at keeping track of changes in airline and bus routes and schedules, etc. but will not usually keep up on changes in fruit seasons. Conversely fruit vendors may not be the best source of information on the best airline routes and schedules because these also change frequently, but they do know fruit seasons and sources because that is their day to day business.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:58:11 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
Is there someone from this forum who has gone to the durian party?  How was it, please let us know?  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk