Author Topic: Fruit tree identification  (Read 8889 times)

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit tree identification
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 03:29:40 AM »
Not a problem to keep four, or ten or whatever, but needing only one is good to know.  So I grabbed some flowers before sundown, from just one branch, and took a few pix:

No further comment for now. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 04:03:03 AM »
not moneykeyfish but yeah dovyalis spp are dioecious=male or female flowers in separate plants.

i have hebecarpa,caffra and others sold as hebecarpa that i'm not really sure of until they fruit...i would keep like 4 until they fruit.

If tropical apricot is really dioecious then it doesn't need both sexes to fruit as i have a lone tree and it fruits fine. Yes seedlings can have great fruits. One seedling here has sweeter fruits than the Prodigal cultivar i got long time ago from Florida. Prodigal is nice though because it is seedless, self fruiting, and almost totally thornless.
Oscar

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
Looks like some Ficus sp...
one can always identify a Ficus by the unique to the genus method of how all leaf buds appear and unfurl
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »
I did say I would post pix of my dovyalis, so here they are.  As far as the pictures of the flowers I posted, it looks to me that there are two different flowers on the one plant, and I'm supposing that they are indeed male and female, though I don't know which is which.  I would guess that the ones on the left are the female, since there are so many more of them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk