Author Topic: Toddy palm (Borassus flabelliferus) in Myanmar  (Read 9033 times)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Toddy palm (Borassus flabelliferus) in Myanmar
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
I enjoy Borassus aethiopum in Senegal from Thies Department all the way into the Gambia, East & West Africa.  Palm wines were delicious & knocked our asses; and our team of Merc black ops nearly got court martial for distilling it during the many R& R through the conflicts zones in the 1990's.  Moonshine from it makes the daily night fire fight more exciting.  I recalled one night the Rebels were just as drunk as us on toddy palm shine and & shot tracers at Us.  We dial in at 2,200 yards & send a few bud lights down & my spotter saw an explosion from the Rebels moonshine distillery torching a bunch of grouchy campers from their happiness.  Their sources of arm funding were fermented into the no moon night.

Next morning we visited the abandoned base, the armour they were using were cure toddy palm wood surrounding the still like fish scale tiles.  Once cure this west African toddy palm is heavy & sink in water and stronger than steel; you can actually see were my .50 round just deflected off, amazing wood.  Thank God I had a new Leupold mounted to make it through their snipers hole. Termite proof and the local Sereer tribe on the coast used them for making bow & the harden wood beleivable or not; they make arrow head out if it. 

The dried gelatin fruit seeds pounded were excellent mix when I made Pemmican with wild games, this were our bush MRE in many jungle campaigns.  If the gellatin seeds were too old they were too rubbery and not that tasty. We also enjoyed the very young fruit barely gelatinize inside, the young fruit pith inside were sweet nutty like coconut palms heart.  We try distillateling  the ripe toddy fruit, the ripe yellowish pith generate a strong liquor that have a smell of a Hippopotamus fart and diesel; but the flavors were remarkably intune with a Remi Martin XXO but fruity Landolphia  sharpness that kind of made your vision smart at first.  Your Toddy Palm make an excellent landscape plant for those with adequate space, some tree we climbed were 60-70 feet tall.  If you can't get the Asian try the African toddy; personaly as a landscape plant they are in my not so humble opinions must nicer & possibly more African Locusts attack resistant for your GreenHouse Radoslav!😄🌴🏡
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »
In central Myanmar (Burma) prectically everything is made out of Borassus palms. I saw furniture that looked like split bamboo, but when i asked i was told it was made from the sheaths of fronds of Borassus. Very versatile palm, just like coconut. But will grow where it is a lot drier than coconut can take. Grows in arid parts of India where the soil is hard as a brick.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
I enjoy Borassus aethiopum in Senegal from Thies Department all the way into the Gambia, East & West Africa.  Palm wines were delicious & knocked our asses; and our team of Merc black ops nearly got court martial for distilling it during the many R& R through the conflicts zones in the 1990's.  Moonshine from it makes the daily night fire fight more exciting.  I recalled one night the Rebels were just as drunk as us on toddy palm shine and & shot tracers at Us.  We dial in at 2,200 yards & send a few bud lights down & my spotter saw an explosion from the Rebels moonshine distillery torching a bunch of grouchy campers from their happiness.  Their sources of arm funding were fermented into the no moon night.

Next morning we visited the abandoned base, the armour they were using were cure toddy palm wood surrounding the still like fish scale tiles.  Once cure this west African toddy palm is heavy & sink in water and stronger than steel; you can actually see were my .50 round just deflected off, amazing wood.  Thank God I had a new Leupold mounted to make it through their snipers hole. Termite proof and the local Sereer tribe on the coast used them for making bow & the harden wood beleivable or not; they make arrow head out if it. 

The dried gelatin fruit seeds pounded were excellent mix when I made Pemmican with wild games, this were our bush MRE in many jungle campaigns.  If the gellatin seeds were too old they were too rubbery and not that tasty. We also enjoyed the very young fruit barely gelatinize inside, the young fruit pith inside were sweet nutty like coconut palms heart.  We try distillateling  the ripe toddy fruit, the ripe yellowish pith generate a strong liquor that have a smell of a Hippopotamus fart and diesel; but the flavors were remarkably intune with a Remi Martin XXO but fruity Landolphia  sharpness that kind of made your vision smart at first.  Your Toddy Palm make an excellent landscape plant for those with adequate space, some tree we climbed were 60-70 feet tall.  If you can't get the Asian try the African toddy; personaly as a landscape plant they are in my not so humble opinions must nicer & possibly more African Locusts attack resistant for your GreenHouse Radoslav!😄🌴🏡

So are these toddy palms the same or is one of them an african variety?

In my area i see them with 2 kinds of bark like on the pic (pic is from internet). Also i see them with the fishscale skin for the first some metres and then they have a smooth skin untill the crown.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »

I found these unripe seeds on the market today to play with. Whole nuts were not availlable.

These were not chilled and inside the bad they had started to produce alcohol allready, at least i could smell it.

They were not as sweet as the dried ones who taste like candy. In fact they were bland and nothing special. My wife even can't make the cakes from them because she needs the whole nuts for that. The meat under the coconut shell is what they use for cake, well lesson learned.

I hoped the seeds would taste nice but they don't. As a desert in sweet coconutcream they tasted good anyway but i won't buy these fresh unripe seeds again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk