Author Topic: Which New Zills Mango  (Read 17516 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Which New Zills Mango
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
I'm thinking about planting another one of the new Zills Mango cultivars and am looking for any suggestions and opinions on which variety to choose. Last year I planted a Coconut Cream tree so which of those left should I plant Lemon Zest, Pina Colada, Harvest Moon, Sweet Tart, etc..?

Tony       
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:07:48 AM by SWRancher »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Which New Zills Mango
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
I would definitely go with Lemon Zest.  Harvest Moon is pretty good though I saw variability in the fruit quality from it in 2010 and 2011.

Pina Colada is very similar to Gary and I have seen some extreme issues as to when to pick with respect to ripening stages.  Picked too early and fruit does not ripen and is inedible.

Sweet Tart, not a fan of based on last year (having a "tart" characteristic is one thing but not what I like in a mango, again, its a subjective thing) though some at Zills loved it.

The "new and improved" East Indian (the actual name escapes me at the moment, Jeff ???) is still an East Indian...PASS.

I believe Sunrise is another.  Not sure which this one is as I don't remember the name and have not been provided a number to associate it with.
- Rob

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
I'm also interested in replacing a Florigon with root rot, and was considering a Lemon Zest. Anybody out there have one? The space I have for it isn't huge, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep it medium-sized through pruning.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Lemon zest is the one.   :)
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
I'm thinking about planting another one of the new Zills Mango cultivars and am looking for any suggestions and opinions on which variety to choose. Last year I planted a Coconut Cream tree so which of those left should I plant Lemon Zest, Pina Colada, Harvest Moon, Sweet Tart, etc..?

Tony       

Tony,
Definitely the Lemon Zest. I've had all the others and the LZ is the best tasting. I like the look of the coconut cream fruit the most though. Mine (at my mom's house) is flowering and I just bought one to plant at my house in Plantation. I think Excalibur has some 15g Lemon Zest trees that may be for sale.

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
Let me know if Excaliber has the 15 gallon sized Lemon Zest trees and if they are worth getting. Instead of getting the usual 3 or 7 gallon sized tree it might be nice to jump start my lemon zest crop with a big 15 gallon tree. 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
Let me know if Excaliber has the 15 gallon sized Lemon Zest trees and if they are worth getting. Instead of getting the usual 3 or 7 gallon sized tree it might be nice to jump start my lemon zest crop with a big 15 gallon tree.

I just remembered something about those 15 gallons. I think they were all pruned back. I can't remember how far back they were pruned though. They have good sized trunks though because they were potted up into the 15's since early last year.

Jeff has some nice 7g Lemon Zests.

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
I bought a 3 gallon from Patrick (brooks nursery) that was realy big and full. It was extremely reasonable and larger than you would expect

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a very simple question, somewhat related.
When does Coconut Cream ripen?
Earlier or later than a Glenn? Before attemptin to get one i'd like to know if it can be ripened in my city.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
Could someone give me the compare & contrast the size of the fruit, flavor & production of theLemon Zest to Lemon Meringue (PPK)? Is is so superior that it would be worth replacing my 25 gal size PPK?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 07:03:56 PM »
Could someone give me the compare & contrast the size of the fruit, flavor & production of theLemon Zest to Lemon Meringue (PPK)? Is is so superior that it would be worth replacing my 25 gal size PPK?
There is no comparison.  Two totally different mangoes, not a renaming issue.  The LZ taste like orange sherbet (with a little orange tanginess) while the PPK/Lemon Meringue tastes like lemon, no orange characteristics whatsoever.  With both grown equally, the LZ is slightly bigger than the PPK.  With that being said, I have seen a lot of small PPKs and ones that are bigger than "normal".  All of the LZs I have seen have been fairly consistent size wise (maybe because the source has all been the same).  I would keep both if you have the space, if its either/or, no question, LZ would be the choice.
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
Question about flavor and names.  Why "lemon zest" if flavor is orange sherbert?  Harry...what was the pale, yellow fleshed variety you had Warren and I try that afternoon last summer?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:35 PM »
I agree with Rob. The lemon zest is actually a seedling variety from the PPK/lemon meringue mango. Even though PPK is a parent of the lemon zest, it is a completely different mango like Rob mentioned.
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
I agree with Rob. The lemon zest is actually a seedling variety from the PPK/lemon meringue mango. Even though PPK is a parent of the lemon zest, it is a completely different mango like Rob mentioned.

Have you had both fruit?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
There is no comparison.  Two totally different mangoes, not a renaming issue.  The LZ taste like orange sherbet (with a little orange tanginess) while the PPK/Lemon Meringue tastes like lemon, no orange characteristics whatsoever.  With both grown equally, the LZ is slightly bigger than the PPK.  With that being said, I have seen a lot of small PPKs and ones that are bigger than "normal".  All of the LZs I have seen have been fairly consistent size wise (maybe because the source has all been the same).  I would keep both if you have the space, if its either/or, no question, LZ would be the choice.

I can't remember a strictly lemon taste from the PPK. I got an orangy citrus taste. I guess my palette is just not as refined.

I did not get an orange sherbet taste from the Lemon Zest. Oh well.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »

Have you had both fruit?

I've had a sample of lemon zest mango before. Some people say it tastes like orange sherbet, but to me, it gives me a sweet mango flavor punch followed by a virgin pina colada taste, resulting in an orangey after taste in the back of my tongue.  I haven't tasted ppk/lemon merigue, but I've read lots of reviews of ppk, and they all say the same thing about the lemon meringue taste. I agreed with Rob with the point that lemon zest and lemon meringue/ ppk are two different varieties and both have different tastes. But I've read before that PPK mango is a parent of the lemon zest. It was a mistake in my part for agreeing that they were both completely different. Maybe if I taste the ppk mango myself, I would find some sort of a small resemblance.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »

I can't remember a strictly lemon taste from the PPK. I got an orangy citrus taste. I guess my palette is just not as refined.

I did not get an orange sherbet taste from the Lemon Zest. Oh well.

Let me clarify:

PPK - not like a sour lemon but a sweet lemony cream, similar to that of a lemon meringue pie.  Is it sweet, yes,  Is it sour like biting a lemon, no...unless you are talking a lemon after eating a miracle fruit :

LZ - I still say it tastes like a tangy orange sherbet (I did say tangy in my previous post).  Maybe thats the lemon component but either way it did have a true characteristic taste of orange sherbet in a mango.

Keep in mind that one must have some "creativity" when describing tastes.  To my wife, a mango is good or just ok.  She does not detect most of these specific flavors.  Take the Pina Colada or Gary for example, does it taste like eating a pina colada drink ?  No...but it does taste like a mango with a true reminiscent character of a pina colada while eating a mango.  Same with Coconut Cream, picture eating a sweet mango with a heavy creamy coconutty character (reminiscent of the flavor if a coconut cream pie).

Like murahilin said, since tastes are subjective and each person's palettes are different, some people may detect different nuances that others can't.  Ask my friends and family, I have always been told I have "extra" taste buds unlike most people in that I can detect flavors that others can't (kind of like a wine tasters/reviewers, which is one "culinary" area that I have been told that my taste buds excel in).
- Rob

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
How do the textures of the LZ and LM compare? 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
How do the textures of the LZ and LM compare?
They are both very creamy and juicy.  Maybe the LZ is slightly better in both categories but I feel that is probably due to the number of different producers of the PPK and how they care for their trees/fruits.

By the way, as murahilin said, Excaliburs should all be in 15 gal and have been pruned back.  They are approximately 4'-5' in height (actual height of tree).  This may actually be beneficial as when the trees begin to flush this year you should have a better branching system right off the bat.  If you want I will send you some pictures on Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:07:05 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Thanks, a picture would be great appreciated before I make the drive up.     

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
Tony - here are a few pics.  Sorry, they aren't the best  as they are within other rows and didn't really have any room to drag them out to isolate but hopefully it helps.  Tree heights are all in the 5 foot range give or take.  There is one that is a little nicer than the others, two with really good "first" branching though I don't think you would go wrong with any of them (I believe there are five available).

This is the best of the lot in my opinion

This shows decent "first" braching

This would be my second choice

- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
Tony - here are a few pics.  Sorry, they aren't the best  as they are within other rows and didn't really have any room to drag them out to isolate but hopefully it helps.  Tree heights are all in the 5 foot range give or take.  There is one that is a little nicer than the others, two with really good "first" branching though I don't think you would go wrong with any of them (I believe there are five available).

This is the best of the lot in my opinion

This shows decent "first" braching

This would be my second choice

Its good how they are trimming the LZ mango trees. It gives them a nice structure.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »
By the way, these are all in 15 gal pots at a cost of $125 ea.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
That's an excellent price for a 15 gallon tree. Is the 15 gallon maha ch. The same price?  :)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »
Are those corns in all the pots?  If they indeed are it, what's its significance? Very interesting, never seen it before
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk