Author Topic: Wrong mango used in Pine Island's Fairchild mango review?  (Read 2504 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Wrong mango used in Pine Island's Fairchild mango review?
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/fairchild-mango.shtml

Is it just me, or does the sliced mango in the picture look like a carrie?

Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong mango used in Pine Island's Fairchild mango review?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:48 AM »
No.  Carries are more yellow in color.  As to shape, while I have seen some Fairchilds with that shape I have also seen some variability with a more rounder, less "classic" mango shape.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
No.  Carries are more yellow in color.  As to shape, while I have seen some Fairchilds with that shape I have also seen some variability with a more rounder, less "classic" mango shape.

In that case, I might have tasted a fairchild mango and not a carrie. I'm growing a seedling of that mango and it has a slow-growth/dwarf characteristic.
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:17 AM »
You would know which it was by the taste.  Two totally different tastes.  Carrie has a definite tanginess while the Fairchild is pure sweetness (no tangy character) and possibly a little spice.  Texture of a Carrie is also softer, and nears or turns to mushy when very ripe.  Fairchild does not have this texture issue.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »
You would know which it was by the taste.  Two totally different tastes.  Carrie has a definite tanginess while the Fairchild is pure sweetness (no tangy character) and possibly a little spice.  Texture of a Carrie is also softer, and nears or turns to mushy when very ripe.  Fairchild does not have this texture issue.

Well according your description, what I had was a carrie. The flavor was sweet and tangy. It was very juicy. And the texture was a bit chalky, even though that didn't bother me. I guess it can be called "pudding texture".  The fruit was extremely ripe and had a slight yellow coloring, but it wasn't as much as many carrie mangoes in the pictures.  It might have been growing in the shade, so maybe that's why it didn't have much coloring. The mango looked more like the one in the fairchild picture than the one in the carrie mango picture in pine island's website.
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk