Author Topic: Hatcher Mango  (Read 6003 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Hatcher Mango
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
How many of you are growing the Hatcher Mango? It's an "Old Florida" variety that was discovered in Palm Beach county in the 1920s. It has minimal fiber and is delicious with a nice aroma. The fruits get as big as 4 lbs. I have eaten these many times and they are one of my favorites. The fruits are also very colorful but the trees are HUGE and require a large area.  The original grove still exists in Palm Beach near I-95 and Hypoluxo road in very sandy soil. They are never sprayed with copper and still produce big crops of blemish free fruits. The grove owners have a big mail order business on the web under Hatcher's Mango Hill. There is also a small grove of these somewhere in Hawaii.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:09:18 PM by murahilin »
FloridaGreenMan

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Hatcher Mango
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »
I wish I could sell mangoes for $10 each or whatever the figure is  :D.

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
I had asked this same question on the tropical gardening forum( the other site) fairly recently. There's a big discussion on there. I called a few months ago and they wanted $75 for a 3 gallon tree. 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »
I think the Hatcher comes up in a post once or twice a year, so its been re-hashed a good bit, but anyways....

Here's a story for those of you who haven't seen me tell it already.........Cecil Broomfield, who owns Lawrence Zill's old place literally right across Hypoluxo from the Hatchers (who do a tremendous amount of business, congrats to them), has a Hatcher tree among the 3 dozen or so other varieties he has growing.....it is one of his worst selling and least requested mangoes at his stand. ;D Amazing what good marketing can do for a fruit!

Its a decent if unremarkable mango in terms of flavor.....its main attraction being its size, color, and flesh-to-seed ratio. I plan on planting one anyways though just to have it in the germplasm.

It was likely a Haden by Brooks cross....so making it a 'full sibling' of such mangoes as Sensation, Kent, and Fascell, the latter two of which it bears some physical resemblance to.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:03:00 AM by Squam256 »

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »
Its a nice looking mango.   :D

Adiel
Adiel

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »
Yeah, we have hashed this over a considerable bit in GW Forum.  Two of the main threads are:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0920132625177.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1221251510035.html

Enough said!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
- Rob

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »
Sorry for the repeat topic but this is going to happen sometimes!
FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
Sorry for the repeat topic but this is going to happen sometimes!

Don't be sorry. You weren't a GW poster so how were you supposed to know that it was discussed there? Not everyone on this forum was  GW poster and members of this forum should not act as though everyone is supposed to know what was discussed prior on another forum.

Also,
The pics of the hatcher you provided were far better than anything posted in GW, so thank you for posting!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
There will be many repeat topics, that's expected and nothing wrong with it especially with a brand new forum where everyone's ref is the old GW forum.  For the benefits of new members going forward, I appreciate the question(s) being asked regardless how everyone feels about it.  At least the information is out in the clear for others to see/learn what us fruit nuts think of certain establishments and their business practice. 
Tim

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
Don't be sorry. You weren't a GW poster so how were you supposed to know that it was discussed there? Not everyone on this forum was  GW poster and members of this forum should not act as though everyone is supposed to know what was discussed prior on another forum.

Also,
The pics of the hatcher you provided were far better than anything posted in GW, so thank you for posting!

Good points except for the fact that Noel was very much aware of the GW posts on this subject as I made sure I read them to him back when they were posted.  Noel just wanted to aggravate BSBullie by bringing up the subject of those horribly inferior Hatcher mangoes.

Of course I am kidding.  I shouldn't have ended my post with "enough said"....as if to imply that Noel was wrong to bring up the subject.  Perhaps....."Any questions?" would have been a slightly better closing to that post or maybe I should have just cited the GW posts and then shut the heck up.  So sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable. That was not my intention. :-X
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »

Also,

Good points except for the fact that Noel was very much aware of the GW posts on this subject as I made sure I read them to him back when they were posted.  Noel just wanted to aggravate BSBullie by bringing up the subject of those horribly inferior Hatcher mangoes.

Of course I am kidding.  I shouldn't have ended my post with "enough said"....as if to imply that Noel was wrong to bring up the subject.  Perhaps....."Any questions?" would have been a slightly better closing to that post or maybe I should have just cited the GW posts and then shut the heck up.  So sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable. That was not my intention. :-X
>:(  ...but seriously, any one of us can "push" our likes and dislikes but in all reality taste/preference is extremely subjective.  There are no rights and wrongs with stating taste/preferences and liking any variety of mango over another, or any fruit for that matter.  What is wrong in my opinion is the way/type of marketing and price gauging...but hey, I guess if you got it and can get it, more power to ya...I just don't have to be and won't be a part of it.  Harry - that does not mean I wouldn't taste your Hatchers, or anybody elses for that matter...hell, yours may actually be better that "theirs" and prove me all wrong.  :o :P ;)
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk