Author Topic: avocado scions and desert king df  (Read 2319 times)

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
avocado scions and desert king df
« on: July 12, 2020, 04:25:50 PM »
I have an avocado tree that isn't able to set fruit well, I'd like to buy some avocado scions (preferably of good varieties) to graft onto it. I read that desert king has unsegmented growth and very tasty fruit so I'd like to buy a cutting or two.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 03:51:10 PM by shitflipper »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for avocado scions and desert king cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »
Hi buddy I have avocado scions and desert king cuttings.  Send me a message.  I send you a PM.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
This guy shiftflipper was going to get some hard to get scions and cuttings then complained about the 12$ shipping to northern CA. 

I dont make money on shipping.  In fact Im losing money at that cost between postage, box and packing material, 15min drive both ways to the post office from my ranch in BFE. 

I pay 100s of dollars to import hard to get stuff from overseas and hawaii.  Pay inspections fees, small fortune for the plant material, expensive shipping, grow out the plants and make them available to people here.  Then this guy complains about 12$ postage cost.  Unbelieveable. 

No cuttings for you.
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
Yeah man, some cuttings are hard to get and it’s the shipping company making the money. It not like you’re randomly making up the shipping cost. I completely agree with you Brad.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 04:39:05 PM »
Genius told me he has people send him scions from FL for 4$

I cant put your dragonfruit cutting in an envelope.  And I dont send scions for 4$ because then they sit in the mail too long. 

Everything I send goes priority 2 day mail in a box.  Minimum 8$ for a small flat rate box even in CA.  There is no cheaper option in CA.  Slightly more for cuttings that have to go in a larger box.

I dont know why but this guy really tweeked me as if Im scamming him on postage. 
Brad Spaugh

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »
This guy shiftflipper was going to get some hard to get scions and cuttings then complained about the 12$ shipping to northern CA. 

I dont make money on shipping.  In fact Im losing money at that cost between postage, box and packing material, 15min drive both ways to the post office from my ranch in BFE. 

I pay 100s of dollars to import hard to get stuff from overseas and hawaii.  Pay inspections fees, small fortune for the plant material, expensive shipping, grow out the plants and make them available to people here.  Then this guy complains about 12$ postage cost.  Unbelieveable. 

No cuttings for you.

I don't understand what universe these people live in where they think shipping is cheap... you are looking at 8 dollars minimum just for small flat rate which most things don't even fit.. that's not including your packing materials or gas or time spent at post office. People can't even appreciate what you have gone through to acquire the often times rare species you have let alone comprehend simplicities such as shipping. To those that think shipping is so cheap please let us in on your secrets!

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
Please make any judgements off of the screenshots. I never insinuated he was trying to scam me on shipping, just that it could be packaged more efficiently.

I really hoped to de-escalate this situation, I'm not here to fight with some random farmer in socal. I'm just a teenager that's looking to buy interesting plants at good prices.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 06:05:21 PM »
That makes sense you are a cheap teenager then.  I cant perform magic with shipping costs. 

Seriously get the fuck out here.  I hate dealing with people like you.  Its always someone in the bay area asking me for some difficult to get plant material then jerking me around over a couple bucks. 

I rarely have to treat people the way I did you but you really pissed me off with this cheapskate bullshit.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »
Heres the box einstein thinks I can ship to him for 4$.  Thats me in an annoyed mood from dealing with cheap idiots. 

I paid way more than I was charging for your cuttings. Theres been a few others but you pissed me off pretty good.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:28:20 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 06:25:52 PM »
Please make any judgements off of the screenshots. I never insinuated he was trying to scam me on shipping, just that it could be packaged more efficiently.

I cant put your 2ft long cutting in a padded envelope.  It will get smashed then you will be crying to me about how it's all beat up. 

I'm sorry for cursing you but for some reason you really irritated me.  Like I'm lying to you about the cost.  Dragonfruit cuttings aren't avocado pieces, they are way bigger.  So its irrelevant what someone charged you to ship those. 

I know exactly what it costs to ship things because I'm shipping things constantly.  I run 2 small businesses and that's what I do all day.  Print postage and make trips to town to deliver them. 
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
LOL!

Your kindness has been pushed beyond limits.

Too bad, you always take great care of folks.

I would currently charge at least $100 to drive to and go in the post office!

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:59 AM »
Sorry about the wait for my response, to make sure this isn't some sort of knee-jerk reaction to a mindless "fuck you", I waited a while to decide if this has actually been an experience so unpleasant that I should even respond.

His kindness has been pushed beyond limits? I get harassed and berated, called an idiot, a cheap bastard, told to go fuck myself and fuck off numerous times. For what?
For asking why the shipping is relatively expensive, and with good reason. Most people do not receive cuttings in 30 inch boxes. It is completely and absolutely inane for him to flip his shit (pun intended) due to the fact that some random customer asks what he's packaging cuttings in.
TWO FOOT CUTTINGS ARE NOT INDUSTRY STANDARD. Especially with Spaugh, I had absolutely no reason WHATSOEVER to think that he would be sending me large cuttings in any way, shape or form due to the fact that he literally made a post explaining the fact that he will not sell larger cuttings
I dont have huge pieces to sell.  I'm supplying you with the genetics
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=39648.msg392025#msg392025.
It certainly would be a nice gesture if he legitimately intended to give me a two foot cutting. Even so, instead of throwing a tantrum and sending "angry photos" all this could have been avoided by saying something along the lines of "hey, I'm sending you a two foot cutting so shipping will be a little bit more expensive than usual".
If so many people are asking you about shipping, that you get infuriated when somebody asks even the slightest question, maybe the problem is not them. I have received 6 inch cuttings inside padded envelopes, other sellers have set a precedent for that. If you are not comfortable sending any cuttings that way, then COMMUNICATE and don't shun potential customers.
Who won in this?
What was the point. Did Spaugh win? No. He just lost out on money, and somebody that could (and would)  become a recurring customer. Did I win? No. I've missed out on the possibility of buying many interesting plants. Spaugh, next time you get a message, think about the business first, and your emotions second. Nobody is better off from this.

spaugh

• View Profile
I had already gone and cut your huge cutting because you asked me how big the cuttings were.  I told you they were 14"  at least, sometimes bigger.  Since you already bugged me about the size, I cut a huge piece for you because I didnt want to hear any complaining that your cutting isnt big enough.  Because thats what noobs do to me.  They ask me for all the hardest stuff to get, want it for cheap, then complain its still not good enough.  So I tried to preempt it by just getting you all the stuff you asked for and making them big for you and give at a very fair price.  Then I send you an invoice and do it professionally and plan to package it professionally so your plant material arrives quickly in perfect shape.  Because who wants avocado scions sitting in the mail for 5 days?  And who the heck wants a piece of dragonfruit shipped in an envelope 6" long?  No one!  I would think shipping the proper way and paying a few extra bucks would be welcomed.  I really didnt feel like explaining all this to you after you sent what seemed like snide messages to me.  If I misinterpreted my bad, I quickly read my messages on my tiny cell phone screen in passing between running around watching 2 kids and running 2 businesses.  We live out in the middle of no where off the grid and dont have internet or cable or phone service here.  I do everything from a cell phone which mkes it even more difficult.  I dont have time to deal with newbs which you obviously are and go back and forth about shipping rates or how big the plants are etc.

I paid way more than I was charging you for the stuff you were purchasing.  I put a lot of time and effort into my farm and my plants and then try to share them at very reasonable costs here.  Like the hawaiian avocado scion you wanted and the desert king cuttings.  Those werent easy to get.  I paid a bunch of money and then went through a lot to graft the avocados grow out a tree, care for it.  Then sell it to you for next to nothing.  Its extremely irritating to deal with people who don't understand that and then want to nitpick and act smart about how much things should cost with me.  I feel like its an intitlement attitude or maybe just inexperience.  Dont know, dont really care.  I just dont have time for it.  I even told you that I am shipping priority in a box and that Im not making money and then you still came back and went on about what ither people are charging for an envelope slow mail.  Which I dont care, I dont ship in envelopes or slow mail because most people prefer their plant material quickly and fully intact.

Ive been doing this for years and only had to tell a few people to pound sand.  Most people just trust that they are going to be getting decent material and are willing to pay the nominal costs to get the plant material delivered quickly and safely. 

You caught me in a particularly irritated mood and I went off on you.  For that I appologize. 

That said, if you want to try again we can.  We can pretend that never happened an start over if you want.  Fine with me.  Im not into holding grudges, I just dont have time to play stupid games with people. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:30:32 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »
Sorry about the wait for my response, to make sure this isn't some sort of knee-jerk reaction to a mindless "fuck you", I waited a while to decide if this has actually been an experience so unpleasant that I should even respond.

His kindness has been pushed beyond limits? I get harassed and berated, called an idiot, a cheap bastard, told to go fuck myself and fuck off numerous times. For what?
For asking why the shipping is relatively expensive, and with good reason. Most people do not receive cuttings in 30 inch boxes. It is completely and absolutely inane for him to flip his shit (pun intended) due to the fact that some random customer asks what he's packaging cuttings in.
TWO FOOT CUTTINGS ARE NOT INDUSTRY STANDARD. Especially with Spaugh, I had absolutely no reason WHATSOEVER to think that he would be sending me large cuttings in any way, shape or form due to the fact that he literally made a post explaining the fact that he will not sell larger cuttings
I dont have huge pieces to sell.  I'm supplying you with the genetics
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=39648.msg392025#msg392025.
It certainly would be a nice gesture if he legitimately intended to give me a two foot cutting. Even so, instead of throwing a tantrum and sending "angry photos" all this could have been avoided by saying something along the lines of "hey, I'm sending you a two foot cutting so shipping will be a little bit more expensive than usual".
If so many people are asking you about shipping, that you get infuriated when somebody asks even the slightest question, maybe the problem is not them. I have received 6 inch cuttings inside padded envelopes, other sellers have set a precedent for that. If you are not comfortable sending any cuttings that way, then COMMUNICATE and don't shun potential customers.
Who won in this?
What was the point. Did Spaugh win? No. He just lost out on money, and somebody that could (and would)  become a recurring customer. Did I win? No. I've missed out on the possibility of buying many interesting plants. Spaugh, next time you get a message, think about the business first, and your emotions second. Nobody is better off from this.

I normally wouldn't let people talk to me like that and still do business with them but it's obvious there was a misunderstanding.

Brad is legit and sends great materials that are really hard to find elsewhere. Never dissapointed when we get anything from him. He apologized for the misunderstanding. (It is irking when somebody tells you how to run your business that you run perfectly.) I would take your opportunity on a redo and make up or it will be your loss for sure.

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
Sure! I'll buy the two foot cutting. I never got the message about 14" cuttings (you can see the screenshots). I really wish that this forum allowed people to view their past messages and see if they've actually been sent or not.

I normally wouldn't let people talk to me like that and still do business with them but it's obvious there was a misunderstanding.

That's why I usually wait when I get emotional because right now, I don't care about what Brad said a couple days ago and just want my desert king cuttings. If I see Brad and someone else selling similar products, I'll steer towards buying from the other person simply because I'm afraid to ask Brad about what  he is selling, but that's about as far as it goes.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:14:46 PM by shitflipper »

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
Posted twice by accident.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:11:06 PM by shitflipper »

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:14:19 PM by shitflipper »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Brad is literally one of the nicest dudes in the fruit game, and just in general life too. He has been exceedingly helpful to me and has really gone above and beyond with pricing or helping me out. To have gotten in this deep with an argument is a reflection of who you are as a person, Shitflipper.

This forum is full of normal people who just happen to like fruit trees and growing stuff and is not Craigslisters flipping Miatas after owning them for two weeks. The pricing is exceedingly fair, if not ludicrously cheap. If you don't like what people are offering, the pricing, the shipping, or whatever - just move on and find your magic deal. Brad is well in his right to tell you to F off. I would too.

shitflipper

• California
    • View Profile
Brad is literally one of the nicest dudes in the fruit game, and just in general life too. He has been exceedingly helpful to me and has really gone above and beyond with pricing or helping me out. To have gotten in this deep with an argument is a reflection of who you are as a person, Shitflipper.

This forum is full of normal people who just happen to like fruit trees and growing stuff and is not Craigslisters flipping Miatas after owning them for two weeks. The pricing is exceedingly fair, if not ludicrously cheap. If you don't like what people are offering, the pricing, the shipping, or whatever - just move on and find your magic deal. Brad is well in his right to tell you to F off. I would too.
The pricing is exceedingly fair, and that is the reason why I was buying from him. My question was about what the cuttings were shipped in, not the price of cuttings.
I was not aware of the fact I was receiving cuttings in a 30 inch box, which was the reason for the comparatively expensive shipping cost. Do you have even the attention span to  read a couple paragraphs?

Brad admitted that he misinterpreted and offered to continue doing business. Please read what people said before posting another uninformed comment.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 03:08:47 PM by shitflipper »

spaugh

• View Profile
Ok, whatever it's fine no need to pile on this guy.  He is polite enough, I was very rude to him. 

Sorry for that. 

Everyone here is nice as Kevin mentioned.  Just a couple people in the past bugged me about shipping costs or making deals and I have lost any patience for that stuff.  And I took it out on this guy who didn't deserve it.  I just can't cut deals on shipping stuff, it costs more than some people realize.

Also when shipping stuff, it's not the size of the parcel.  It's the weight and location that matter.  USPS does the calculations based on those inputs as long as the box is not exceedingly large it does t matter what size it is.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 03:54:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Brad a word of advice, if someone yr dealing does not feel right go w yr instinct and don’t sell to them. I’ve had someone blame me because their scions or cuttings didn’t take. Some folks don’t appreciate the service we provide and the trouble we go through. If someone doesn’t like the price and shipping keep yr money we don’t want it.

spaugh

• View Profile
Brad a word of advice, if someone yr dealing does not feel right go w yr instinct and don’t sell to them. I’ve had someone blame me because their scions or cuttings didn’t take. Some folks don’t appreciate the service we provide and the trouble we go through. If someone doesn’t like the price and shipping keep yr money we don’t want it.

Hey frank hope you are staying healthy and your plans for Mexico haven't  been screwed up.  I hear you, I was a bit hard on this guy.  It's hard to keep everyone happy, sometimes people make mistakes both parties aren't happy, scions don't take etc.  Shit happens. 
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile

Hey frank hope you are staying healthy and your plans for Mexico haven't  been screwed up.  I hear you, I was a bit hard on this guy.  It's hard to keep everyone happy, sometimes people make mistakes both parties aren't happy, scions don't take etc.  Shit happens.

Brad, my blessings to you and yr family. All plans have been scrapped for now but I’m optimistic that things will improve. My point is when you exchange PM’s or text w someone and you feel uncomfortable it best to tell them ,politely, thanks but no thanks. One has to use ones good judgment and common sense to avoid confrontations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk