Author Topic: Seeds from Brazil: Sold out  (Read 1194 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Seeds from Brazil: Sold out
« on: November 07, 2019, 08:18:31 PM »
Pouteria butyrocarpa (Butter sapote, Cupã) - $5 per seed (Minimum 5 seeds)
This black swan of the Pouteria world has reemerged from the shadows in a big way. No longer is it just fodder for famished loggers and lumberjacks. The meat is reminiscent of lucuma, medjool dates or cream sprinkled with chocolate powder. Can be eaten at moist stage, or later dry stage caused by natural fermentation which enhances quality. Large and ornamental tree, but could be disciplined on to a rootstock of other Pouteria I think. Adaptable to subtropics.

Pouteria torta subsp. torta (Cerrado Abiu, Grão de galo, Abiurana, Abiu piloso, Guapeva) - $4 per seed (Minimum 5 seeds)
This is one for those truanting outside the tropics. You want something like abiu, but are simply too cool for temperature school. Well this is the consolation. Fast growing, drought tolerant, allegedly withstands -3°C. Large tree with twisted/tortured trunk, hence the name torta (you thought it meant tart/pudding, didn't you?). Helton's legendary palate registers a comparison to condensed milk, so, do you want this 'milkshake' to bring all the boys to the yard?

Hancornia speciosa var. pubescens (Cerrado mangaba) - $5 per seed (Minimum 5 seeds)
The great thing about this cerrado variety of mangaba is that it makes a smaller bush and is more cold tolerant. But I'm not going to lie; raising these is like getting pandas to breed in captivity. Tree grows in soil of poor fertility, so that needs to be mimicked. Try cactus mix. Very sensitive to phytophthora, phosphorous, cow manure and excess water.  Can handle down to -3°C. The fruit are tasty and healthy. If your better half is wasting space on barren and cliche frangipanis, cut a deal by offering to plant this instead (it is closely related).

Plinia nana (Jaboticaba-peba, Crawling jaboticaba, Dwarf jaboticaba) - $4 per seed (Minimum 5 seeds)
Beware the cerrado curse. It hails from the sandy-soil terrains between Minas Gerais and Goiás. Very drought tolerant once established, and will send out runners (vegetative reproduction). Good tasting fruit. Hardy to -3°C... no I'm still not going to convert that to Fahrenheit.

Plinia spp. (different varieties) - $5 per seed (Minimum 5 seeds per variety)
Four types available: Caipirinha, Peluda jequitinhonha, Rajada and Olho de boi Tatuí. I used to be quite agnostic about Plinia, having not been impressed by Sabara. But then I saw her taste - now I'm a believer. Without a trace element of doubt in my mound. Evergreen, productive, shade tolerant, can take some frosts.

Postage:
0-500 grams                                     501-1000 grams                                     
Regular: $43                                     Regular: $50                           
EMS: $60                                          EMS: $65

Seeds sent in vermiculite. Thanks to all those who inquired, but sold out pretty quick. Might be second round offers later.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:09:56 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

FruitFly

• USA, CA, Sunset Zone17, USDA Zone10B
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds from Brazil: Sold out
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:21:39 PM »
Sorry I missed these but still love your talented descriptions! I’m glued to my phone waiting for the next offering.

Bvargas2

• Tampa Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
Sign me up for your next offering of plinia seeds!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:20:25 PM by Bvargas2 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:31:03 PM »
Those good Plinias wont make monkees out of anyone and I couldn't leave them if I tried. The mangabas have been a challenge for me.The grew to a reasonable size a couple of times and keeled over just before planting size.