Author Topic: starfruit overwatering or need soil acidifier  (Read 1674 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
starfruit overwatering or need soil acidifier
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
My startfruit are the only ones having yellow leaves. This year, I did change my watering to a lot more (daily/two days, 15 minutes => daily 4x 15 minutes); it seems to have a much better effect on almost all of the plants, resulting in new leaves/fruits or having more fruits this year;

I planted these two starfruit this year (7 gallon Kari, 7 gallon Sri Kembangan); I read online that they love acid soil and may just need some soil acidifier, and the watering is just fine (since they are tropical, as you can tell from the pictures are growing many new leaves at the tips); It might be better having more "yellow" leaves, than fewer leaves (or browning ones) by not watering as much?;

Can someone please advise? Thank you;

Kari

Sri Kembangan

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:05:08 AM by michsu »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: starfruit overwatering or need soil acidifier
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »
Hi michsu,
I don't have a yellowing leaves issue on my starfruit
tree, so sorry I can't tell you what my experience is with
that kind of problem.  Hope someone more know how
would chip in.

The issue on my newly acquired still in pot 3G Kari was
 leaves burnt, if I left it exposed in sunny location;
but once I moved it in shade it's doing fine now.
I give it daily watering with very little fertilizer,...

Wish you luck!

Sam

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »
Oh sorry.. just saw a message in my inbox and it was from you.. very sorry.. haha rarely do I get a message in there  :( I'll let you now how to send you one. Thank you.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »
In the picture it looks like the new flush is yellow and maybe hasn't hardened off yet. It may darken up.
I like 20-20-20 miracle grow foliar spray and root drench for keeping my trees dark green. Also it could
be too much direct sunlight. This time of year the sun is the brightest and star fruit do well under a canopy.
I also know trees that are full grown in 100% sunlight and seem to be fine. It may be taking a toll on your
younger trees. I live in Florida and I know where there are four trees that don't get any care and they fruit
abundantly. Once the trees are established they do ok here. It's easy enough to back off watering and also
to lower your ph. In the picture the trees look ok. I went and checked my tree and it is definitely not as dark
green as a couple months ago. I notice the sunlight has a strong effect on trees in Florida.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk