Author Topic: Heatwave in Socal  (Read 3868 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Heatwave in Socal
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »
With 100F temps for one week the large mangos are ripening up fast.

pix of 2lb Edward and Duncan next to 1.25 Aloha

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Heatwave in Socal
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:14:52 AM »
My plants are loving all this heat but I'm afraid for my new grafts. I hope this extreme heat will kick up the Brix of the mangos that are currently holding on the tree. That's an impressive Edward!

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:34:17 AM »
Nice mangos JF.  What is the fourth variety in the pic?

I usually get mangos into November.  This year, I doubt I will have any at the beginning of October.  20% of the mangos were ready to be picked this week. Like Simon mentioned, this heat will be great for ripening mangos earlier but at the possible expense of killing our peak-time grafts.  I had to put the new grafts in the shade.  Looks like we will see highs Fri through Sunday.
Warren

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
Nice job!  Watch for mites.  I finally found out why my Pickering was about to bite the dust - mites.  They love it when it's hot and dry.  We have not had rain going on 2 months with temps 98F +.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
Nice job!  Watch for mites.  I finally found out why my Pickering was about to bite the dust - mites.  They love it when it's hot and dry.  We have not had rain going on 2 months with temps 98F +.

Mark

Mites are a pain in the rear in summer but I've had to scrape off aphids on every tree ripen mangos.

Wslau

My mangos have been ripen early started in later June. 50% of my crop have ripen the others will ripen from now until January
In several varieties I've have a second crop. Cogshall is a well adapted mango for SoCal had 28 on my first crop about equal amount in the second.....mango tasting at your house in November ;D

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
I feel for you guys.  We had such an Exceptional drought in 2011, been some kind for a decade it seems.  Still feeling the effects of it.

JF, if I may.  Gonna link you to a real easy to use, intuitive image editor I've used for years.  You can flip or turn your photos so we don't think you're living down under!   ;D  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16901.25

BTW, did you ever get GEM?  I've wanted to try that tree for years.

Yep, aphids are another bastard that will suck the lifeblood out of your plants, and quick!

Stay cool,
Mark

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:47:56 AM by Mark in Texas »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »
ONLY 100 at your place, JF?

::)

We're having 115/116 over the weekend - come on over for a bath water swim, anyone!
I'm gonna do a bit of covering I think maybe later today.  This is just too much, but it'll only
last 2-3 days they say....THEY SAY.....

Gary

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:28:50 AM »

Mark

Mites are a pain in the rear in summer but I've had to scrape off aphids on every tree ripen mangos.

Wslau

My mangos have been ripen early started in later June. 50% of my crop have ripen the others will ripen from now until January
In several varieties I've have a second crop. Cogshall is a well adapted mango for SoCal had 28 on my first crop about equal amount in the second.....;D
mango tasting at your house in November

JF,
Seriously, I would love to host a mango tasting at my house.  Unfortunately, I would need all the help from the SoCaler's to have any fruit to taste or scions to share this year, as most of my trees are small.  I checked again today and its even worse than I thought....50% of all my mango fruit is already off the tree(s).  Normally this would be the start of my mango season.  I'd be lucky to have even 5 more weeks of fruit. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:28:50 PM by wslau »
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »

Mark

Wslau

In several varieties I've have a second crop. Cogshall is a well adapted mango for SoCal had 28 on my first crop about equal amount in the second.....;D
mango tasting at your house in November

JF,
Seriously, I would love to host a mango tasting at my house....and even a scion exchange.  Unfortunately, I would need all the help from the SoCaler's to have any fruit to taste or scions to share this year, as most of my trees are small.  I checked again today and its even worse than I thought....50% of all my mango fruit is already off the tree(s).  Normally this would be the start of my mango season.  I'd be lucky to have even 5 more weeks of fruit.

Of course Warren  everyone has to pitch in
Mark, thanks for flipping the pic it's annoying

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 10:46:35 AM »
Mark, thanks for flipping the pic it's annoying

You're welcome.  Hope you checked out the link I gave you.  IrfanViewer is a really easy to use yet very powerful program.

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
104 degrees today. Had to cover up my mango tree. White Sapote is usually tough but I an seeing leaves scorching. My poor lawn is drying out. Hope El Nino gets here soon,

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:43:37 AM »
The heat wave and water restrictions have delivered a great crop, but its really pushing the price of fruit up here in Vancouver, Canada. With our season nearly over we are looking at buying our fruit from SoCal again and it ain't cheap It is good fruit though.
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca