Author Topic: Is this cold damage on my Garcinia Madruno?  (Read 635 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Is this cold damage on my Garcinia Madruno?
« on: March 24, 2021, 08:23:37 PM »
Here's some pictures.  What do you guys think?  Maybe sunburn?

Thanks,
Bill

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Is this cold damage on my Garcinia Madruno?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:45:58 PM »
Yes sunburn and maybe a little wilted, probably due to dry wind.
Brandon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:42:33 PM »
It is very strange that this plant got sunburned and the other Garcinias growing around it didn't.  It is the largest Garcinia I have in a pot.  Growing next to it are Intermedia, Dulcis and Brasiliensis.  Non of them are sunburned and they are smaller plants.  I guess Madruno is more sensitive to the sun.  I have since moved it to a spot that only gets morning sun.  And I up potted it.  Hopefully it will respond well.  Thanks for the advice. 

Bill

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 07:46:44 PM »
That looks like a magnesium deficiency at the tips. Seems the PH is off alternatively

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:42 PM »
At the end of October of this year, I planted the large madruno pictured below. It was growing in my shade house and in a heavy 20 gal pot. I decided to plant it in the ground and built a temporary shade structure to slowly acclimate it to the sun. I started with an hour of sun and slowly increased the exposure time daily for over a month. For all my efforts, the south side of the tree looks like your madruno, leaves mostly yellow, while the north protected side is dark green. Five months later, it still has not put out any new growth. I planted 3 other madrunos in shade after that tree and they all have started pushing.

I am not sure on magnesium deficiency. Magnesium deficiency usually presents as a symmetrical yellowing of the leaf edges, as if someone painted a yellow border around the leaf with a wide paint brush, starting thick at the leaf tip and tapering off up the leaf. The center of the leaf stays dark green. I see necrosis in a similar pattern. I don't think magnesium deficiency causes necrosis. I think the leaves with necrosis, being low on the tree, are that way mostly because they are old and nutrients are being reclaimed and the leaves will be shed.

Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk