Author Topic: Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016  (Read 21140 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
There is a jackfruit tree at the Fruit and Spice Park that pulls apart and has a tiny core.  It is way in the back and unlabeled.  We nicknamed it "pulldown" because a little pressure on the top of the fruit left the bare core on the tree.  The excellent flavor and soft texture share some similarities with cheena so maybe it has some chempadak genetics.  The leaves are rough but not hairy. 
Brandon

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »
There is a jackfruit tree at the Fruit and Spice Park that pulls apart and has a tiny core.  It is way in the back and unlabeled.  We nicknamed it "pulldown" because a little pressure on the top of the fruit left the bare core on the tree.  The excellent flavor and soft texture share some similarities with cheena so maybe it has some chempadak genetics.  The leaves are rough but not hairy.

OOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm telling. Don't you know you are supposed to let all of the fruit rot on the trees.  :P
-Josh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
I am pretty sure the original seeds sent were correctly labelled as berry or amber but cross pollination of nearby trees on the farm could have taken place. It seems the seedlings for the most part are not quite producing fruit of the standard of the parents but the fruit will improve as the trees mature. There are lots of jackfruit varieties here including the popular than, malaysian and Indian types and amber as well as berry consistently came out on top in taste tests and prices fetched in the markets. The original crosses of top types and selections of the best offspring to produce amber and berry were not that long ago and maybe haven't stabilised genetically. 

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »
They only sources of cross pollination nearby are another two ambers with male flowers nearby. There are 3 tall giant jackfruits trees about 200 meters away, but I doubt about their influence as I had another fruit yesterday and once again its absolutely nothing like jackfruit. It opens and eats just like marang, and once opened you can't hold any bigger piece in hand. Fruit falls apart due to gravity. I'd say fruit is 80% chempedak and 20% jack fruit.
If Amber is 100% jackfruit progeny, I admit I know nothing about jackfruits

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:59 PM »
Mike T is referring to the mother tree that bore the fruit that was the source of the seeds you planted, not the pollination of the fruit you ate.  Sounds like you have an awesome chempajak.  Send me seeds!
Brandon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2017, 02:51:47 AM »
Let me clarify then because I may have been a bit hazy in that last response and now I understand what you are getting at DL. However unlikely that the amber parent fruit was pollinated by chempadak, it is possible as they are on the same farm also. Ambers are pure jacks with no fuzzy leaves or chempadak characteristics and the parent fruit was most likely pollinated by another adjacent amber as most were planted near each other. I got fruit from different places in the orchard so conceivably some were chempadak pollinated.At around the same time that I sent the jack seeds around I also distributed some twisted and leopard skin chempadak seeds.I don't recall sending any to you DL but I may have done so. I subsequently sent a few honey and durian chempadak and orange fleshed chempadak but I'm pretty sure you didn't want them at that time. If you have a chempadak or a cross from seeds I sent those are the only options really.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2017, 07:06:25 AM »
They only sources of cross pollination nearby are another two ambers with male flowers nearby. There are 3 tall giant jackfruits trees about 200 meters away, but I doubt about their influence as I had another fruit yesterday and once again its absolutely nothing like jackfruit. It opens and eats just like marang, and once opened you can't hold any bigger piece in hand. Fruit falls apart due to gravity. I'd say fruit is 80% chempedak and 20% jack fruit.
If Amber is 100% jackfruit progeny, I admit I know nothing about jackfruits

Rytis you're really entincing me with your description please save some seeds for me  :P
Lorenzo

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
Thanks for clarifying. Original fruit accidentally crossed with chempedak sounds very reasonable.
Tree does have any chempajack characteristics. Chempajack usually throw off small percent of lobbed leaves. This one is like any regular jack., tall and vigorous. Obviously not "hairy". About 18 feet in 3 years without watering and hardly any fertilizers. Chempadak will never match it's vigor. I only received twisted chempa by the way. That's the only variety that survives and does reasonably well.  Numerous others collected from my own travels perished.

I don't have seeds, I left the country for few weeks. Will keep your requests in mind.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2017, 06:52:10 AM »
Thanks!
I bought chempedak seeds on internet, they all sprouted but my 3 months seedlings are extremely week and exhibiting a kind of chlorosis-leaf deformation for no apparent reason.
It's the most difficult fruit plant i've been growing in my life, it seems all my efforts to are useless  :-\
Lorenzo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Thai jackfruit enthusiasts help me eat a vary large amber fruit from my grafted tree yesterday. They were unprompted and advised it was a good deal better than any they had tried in Thailand with a better taste. lower latex and more agreeable texture. They are really worth it but my concern is that seedlings are not producing fruit of the same quality as their parent. A seedling amber I know of here produced fruit with mushy yellow flesh.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
Thanks!
I bought chempedak seeds on internet, they all sprouted but my 3 months seedlings are extremely week and exhibiting a kind of chlorosis-leaf deformation for no apparent reason.
It's the most difficult fruit plant i've been growing in my life, it seems all my efforts to are useless  :-\

I kept mine going for a while but they eventually all died. The roots are very weak and probably very susceptible to fungus is my guess. If I can get more seeds I am going to plant them in the same pot at as a jackfruit seed and do an epicotyl approach graft. All I need is to get one going long enough to put it on jackfruit and hopefully it will take off. I am hoping I can get my marang up to size here and start putting them on Jack as well.
-Josh

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:45 AM »
I don't consider myself a master fruit grower but I have been succesfully cultivating many fruits plantsduring  my life and it never happened what is going on with chempedak.
I had 8 healthy seedlings, they were growing like rockets for the first 8-10 then they stopped putting new leaves.
I divided them in 4 gropus, some were repotted, some left untouched, some planted in the garden but no way, everything seems useless.
I was extremely careful with watering, i used the best soil, i applied light and well balanced fertilizer, i kept them partially shaded and protected from the scorching sun but nothing.
When i removed the first 2 that died i noticed that their root system was very poor and underdevelopped.
That would explain the reason of that strange leaf chlorosis they all eventually exhibited.
It's like they were growing well until they used the "energy" stored in their big seeds then once it was used up the small roots couldn't just keep up with thep lant growth and well being.
Until now the reason is unknown to me  :(
Lorenzo

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »
This is the last chempedak seedling alive.....and i think not for long since it looks really bad  :-\
Any advice/opinion is welcome!

Lorenzo

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
I don't consider myself a master fruit grower but I have been succesfully cultivating many fruits plantsduring  my life and it never happened what is going on with chempedak.
I had 8 healthy seedlings, they were growing like rockets for the first 8-10 then they stopped putting new leaves.
I divided them in 4 gropus, some were repotted, some left untouched, some planted in the garden but no way, everything seems useless.
I was extremely careful with watering, i used the best soil, i applied light and well balanced fertilizer, i kept them partially shaded and protected from the scorching sun but nothing.
When i removed the first 2 that died i noticed that their root system was very poor and underdevelopped.
That would explain the reason of that strange leaf chlorosis they all eventually exhibited.
It's like they were growing well until they used the "energy" stored in their big seeds then once it was used up the small roots couldn't just keep up with thep lant growth and well being.
Until now the reason is unknown to me  :(

There is nothing wrong with your gardening skills. I killed maybe 100, I remember Luc mentioned that about 200 died on him. They all suffer from "sudden death syndrome". Grow fine for a while than die for no good reason.  Only one "Australian" variety had good survival rate, but trees grow pretty slow. Something different about genetics in that variety.  Chempedak grafted on jackfruit grows very well. I think that's by far the best way to cultivate them.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 07:01:25 AM »
Thanks for your illuminating answer.
From one side i feel better knowing it's not all my fault on the other side this most likely means that i will never have my own chempedak tree  :-\
What about the cheena (jackfruit x chempedak) ?

Apart from me,  I'm wondering how nature selected this  species when its reproduction is so difficult.... it's against evolution mechanism!
Just a phylosophical thought  :D

Lorenzo

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »

My Amber jackfruit has a couple of formed fruits.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2017, 10:47:37 PM »

That's  great! 😄 please let us know who they taste, are they going to ripe soon!
El verde es vida!

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »

That's  great! 😄 please let us know who they taste, are they going to ripe soon!
Raul, guessing they will be ready in May or June. I would like to get some to the organizers that started the seedlings for their expert opinions.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 09:40:28 PM »
Cool to see more Ambers fruiting in SoFlo.  They look almost identical to mine.  My tree currently is holding 3 fruit of similar size.  Last summer my Amber matured 2 fruit, which iirc were late in the summer and fairly quick to size up and ripen. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:29:21 PM by Sleepdoc »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
I got one of the amber seedlings last year in a 3gal, so it is a little ways behind most. It has grown quite a bit from the leggy stick I got, and pushed out some male flowers for the first time this month.

Dom

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 10:34:23 PM »
My Berry seedling put out its first female flower this week. Today, I noticed what appeared to be the pistils finally out, so I went to Excalibur and got some male flowers to use to hand pollinate my single female flower. I read an article that says jackfruit may fruit better with cross pollination, so I am hoping my attempt at hand pollinating with a few different cultivars helps. After seeing Ethan's multi-grafted jackfruit, I am considering doing that as well.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2017, 05:29:13 AM »
Congrats !  Excited to hear how it tastes.  My Berry seedling has only males so far this year.  Amber is a machine with 6 fruit so far ...

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
Very cool. I would love to buy some seeds if you will be selling. Between these Australians, Coconut's and some of the Excalibur selections the jackfruit game is getting strong in Florida. Now we need to get that J-35 here.
-Josh

tanfenton

• United States, FL, Palm City, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
Is anyone with a productive Amber seedling willing to sell budwood? I'm interested!

Nathaniel

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
Sheehan,

Did your bury jackfruit and up producing a mature fruit this year? Curious how it tasted.

Brad
Brad