Author Topic: Rain...  (Read 9269 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Rain...
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »
...'nuff said!
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Rain...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
It's been monsoon here in Deerfield today.  Wouldn't be surprised if five inches have fallen.  Four more days of this?
John

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »
3 inches yesterday. I think we will hit 7 inches today. Roof leaking in 3 different spots!!!

Brandon

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »
Yep this is pretty intense.  Insane amount of rain and I see no break in the forecast for another week.  Thank God I repaired my sunroom roof a few months ago, would have been soaked in there by now.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
Yay rain. I suddenly discover my roof leaks since there hasnt been rain for like a year and a half to notice. Then pull down the soffett to get a look at the leak and get mud and insulation dumped on me. Note this is all at the tail end of the storm. Then I go to wash the yuck off and no water. My well pump burned out on me. Well dude guessed there was a lightning strike nearby. When it rains it pours.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:29:41 PM »
I'm well over 6" in the last 24 hours, I'm high and dry and my roof is solid. Sorry to hear all the roof issues.

On the bright side... the wells fill up, the plants get a good drink, the lakes and canal will fill up, and fish can use it, my "water feature" has flushed all the algae out and I found out the reason I do NOT have or need flood insurance.

I just hope that the trees that won't tolerate the water will not suffer. 

Regards,

Gary

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 12:06:24 AM »
It's been pretty wet down this way for over a week now, but it seems worse up towards Broward and beyond. Most of my plants seem to be loving it, but worried about ripening mangoes. Dragon fruit aren't as happy as they seemed. Good luck everyone!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:14:19 AM »
Been in town 7 days, 4 of those days have been a wash out, with what looks like 3 more days of rain to go.  but I did get a tree in the ground, and was able to get some yard work done.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:53:44 AM »
In Davie, I am seeing the animals pairing up. ;) all my trees roots are saturated and some covered. SFWMD needs to pump a little harder.

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
Loving the rain, the garden and fruit trees needed it! The dragonfruit not so much...

In my part of central fl we were in "Extreme Drought" so this has been a huge blessing.
-Casey

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 06:53:55 AM »
'bout time...in my area. Sahara desert was an understatement.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
I have a five gallon bucket out on my porch. I will get a ruler to make sure but it seems like 18-20 inches rain since it started a few days ago. I emptied the bucket once so it could refill. Yes these buckets are wider at the top but looks like 18-20.  It is the slightly less tall bucket that joint compound comes in.
One of the larger canals nearby looks like the Nile River.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »
Rain gauge is up to 5 inches, since late last week.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »
Rain is welcome for sure. I didn't receive any rain for a month and half prior.   The week long rain event has forced my jaboticaba into flowering!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
Lost all my American Beauty Dragon Fruit.   If the rains continue I will probably loose 20-30% of my in ground Dragon Fruit.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
I love the Rain ! ...

Ed
Zone 10

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
Lost all my American Beauty Dragon Fruit.   If the rains continue I will probably loose 20-30% of my in ground Dragon Fruit.

Any way for you to shield them Carlos?
-Casey

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 01:43:51 PM »
They are outside in the open. Not much I can do. They are in the Redlands agricultural area so there are a lot of bad spores waiting to hatch.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
I remember you stating that they were a tough crop for South Florida, though I believe I recall another forum member in the Dragon fruit thread quoting an academic who stated that FL was the most ideal area of the country to grow them in. Theory and practice can at times be strange bedfellows though.

Regardless, the rain will certainly provide a survival of the fittest scenario for them, hopefully proving your  most vigorous, hearty varieties, which on a commercial scale like yours I would assume is one of the top priorities. Just don't want to lose too much!
-Casey

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »
This is very strange, I don"t recall so many days of constant rain in the last 15 years. No chance to dry out or to spray. 
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
In my 45+ years living here, I haven't seen it this nonstop. Especially if you look at the forecast through this weekend.  I agree with Zands: if we are not 18" now, we will be in the next 24 hours. Western Broward is one giant river...

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »
Longwood / Lake Mary checking in.

I can't believe how green the grass has become this last week.  We were parched and down 11 inches since November, and now, well, we're all caught up and then-some.

A couple of my seedling mangos have gone flush crazy, but I also lost 2 of them that didn't have the greatest root structure.

As for flowers, my Plumeia / Frangiapana that's only a year old has grown at least two inches in the last week.  I think over the last year they grew a total of 2 inches.  I had no idea they like being that wet, however I was watering them with city water - not rain water, and that may have been the difference.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
Over an inch just today, with several total, predicted over the course of this week. Which is a ton for the Upper Keys, generally speaking, especially after so many months of drought. But then again, one June in the 1960s this area got 21 FEET of rain in a single month, with 2 tropical storms back to back!! Imagine... Not a single hurricane, but the island was practically wiped out. Not looking forward to the swarms of mosquitoes that will blow in off the Everglades, but I AM looking forward to my plants not looking sad and dry as they have been of late. And the ton of Barbados cherries I'm going to get off of this, because I already had a million flowers this year, but often we have too little rain to support much fruit!

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
Getting kinda tired of it to be honest, it's almost a week straight of pretty much constant rain in Broward...no let up in sight... I've long gone past the point of being elated that the fruit trees are getting some much needing soaking
always longing for a JA Julie

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
I have about 10 - 15 trees planted by the canal. They are all underwater and there is no sign that the water level will come down any time soon. My guess is they are all goners at this point.