Author Topic: To our members on the Hawaiian Islands  (Read 4949 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
To our members on the Hawaiian Islands
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
Whether just tropical storm conditions or actual hurricane conditions are felt, hunker down and be safe.  Get your supplies and prepare for the worst (better not to need them than to be without).  Our thoughts are with you all...
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: To our members on the Hawaiian Islands
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
I just looked up the storm and looks like it’s currently a category 4. I hope all our Hawaiian members stay safe.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:55:15 PM »
Cat 4 is no joke.  Hunker down and be safe.  God's peace be with you.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
I am a little worried. But we are supposed to get high winds from the south. We have a very large iron wood that needs to be taken down near the North side of our cabin. Other than that I'm not too worried about the yard. I dont have many things planted here yet in our new zone. The bananas and coconuts will love the rain.
Biodiversity is key.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
Best of luck to all of our friends out in Hawaii! We are pulling for you. Know what it is like waiting and waiting for a slowly approaching mammoth storm. Stay safe.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »
just started raining here in Kona on the big island.  supposed to rain like 18" in the next 24 hours according to some reports...  i hope its not what they say
'
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
Seems so. I will take some photos when I go out in a bit to check on things. There is a definite river flowing down my drive way.
Biodiversity is key.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
I am so sorry you all are having to go through this. Please stay safe.
- Mark

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »
I am shocked. There is so much water coming from the sky!!!

There are more hard spots than I was hoping. Guess we need to see how fast it drains.

Biodiversity is key.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 03:04:15 AM »
From the current tracking it's pretty certain we are going to dodge this bullet. Kona side might get some strong winds. We're just getting the rain. But if you live here you are so used to rain it's hard to tell the difference.
Chupa King, the rain here was a lot lighter than at your place. I drove to HPP and it was really pouring there and just drizzles here. Tomorrow afternoon we might have to do some bailing out. Problem is the ground is already so soggy from the rains created by the volcano plume over period of 3 months. This year has been a real doozy!
Oscar

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 03:08:58 AM »
I was out trimming some trees today. Have to see how it goes. It is supposed to be a cat 1 when it is south of here.  Last storm in April (16" of rain in 24 hours on this side of the island) I had my grafted young durians under 3 feet of water for 5 hours until the water drained out. I stood them all up after the storm and they all survived. I was quite surprised. I just planted another seedling a few weeks ago... and I was supposed to plant another this week.  It is a nice spot because of the access to unlimited water, but the negative side is that they have to survive these storms.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »
Wishing all folk's on Islands save passage through this hurricane. Hope Maui isn't flooded by Tues. when we land for two weeks ::)

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
Stay safe out there friends!
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
So far so good. The thing has weakened and slowed down to only 7 mph, so i think we are in for a lot of rain. But we are plenty used to that here. Coastal areas may get some flooding.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »
Already down graded to tropical storm for Big Island. Not much rain here, and almost zero wind. Hilo and Hamakua got the heavy rains.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 01:56:14 AM »
Good for you, Oscar!  Hopefully, the worst is over for you.  We have been getting clobbered in Hilo & Hamakua -- must be easily over 20" rain now & no signs of stopping yet.  I haven't been out of the house for maybe 30 hrs now -- I am afraid to see what my road looks like (old cane road) after this -- when I was coming home yesterday afternoon, many water diversions on the road had already been breached and there was a lot of heavy rain after that.  Wind has been very low here as well.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 04:31:21 AM »
Good for you, Oscar!  Hopefully, the worst is over for you.  We have been getting clobbered in Hilo & Hamakua -- must be easily over 20" rain now & no signs of stopping yet.  I haven't been out of the house for maybe 30 hrs now -- I am afraid to see what my road looks like (old cane road) after this -- when I was coming home yesterday afternoon, many water diversions on the road had already been breached and there was a lot of heavy rain after that.  Wind has been very low here as well.

John

It's so strange. Even at HPP which is only 15 minute drive from here they had a deluge, and here very sporadic rain only. Anyway, i'm not complaining.  ;)  Hope your roads are still driveable.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 05:47:14 AM »
The deluge did finally start here at 5 pm today, and rained real hard and solid till 11pm. Some areas got 3-4 inches of rain per hour! Hate to see what bayfront area of Hilo looks like. I'm guessing lots of stores there got flooded. Many of the roads are closed due to landslides. Gonna take a while to clean this up and reopen all the roads.
Soon it will be Maui, Molokai, and Oahu's turn. Hopefully like us they don't get any winds, and just get the heavy rains. The storm is only moving 3 miles per hour now, so it's almost like it's standing still and doing a lot of rain dumping.
Oscar

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »
Slow hurricanes can really cause a lot of damage.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »
The rain finally stopped here sometime early morning, I hope it is really over now.  Seems quiet this am but still completely socked in with clouds.  Our PV system has made virtually no power the last few days -- I hope the sun pops out at some point today.

Good luck to those on neighbor islands, it sounds like parts of Maui have probably gotten hammered too, hopefully the rest of the state will be spared anything too bad.

John

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
Despite being teased with a small glimpse of the sun for about 1 1/2 hrs, the rains have been back the past couple of hours.  So far, only light to moderate but still not good with all the rain we have had (I'm guessing around 40").

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
Rained all night long here. Have a stream coursing through length of my whole orchard. Short pause in rain right now at 11AM. No sign of clear sky or sun here.
Oscar

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »
I hope your stream has finally gone away, Oscar.

Its been raining all day here since morning.  Thankfully, it is not so heavy to form a stream here today.  For the prior three days, for much of the time, I have had a stream running about 15' from my house (about 3' from my lanai), making a small pond in the backyard before it flows off into the small pali in back of my house.

Rained all night long here. Have a stream coursing through length of my whole orchard. Short pause in rain right now at 11AM. No sign of clear sky or sun here.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »
Here in Kona it maybe rained 2-3" total over the last 3 days, its crazy that there rest of the island got hit so hard... zero wind..  seriously those mountains really must have saved the day for us over here.   I'm hoping everyone else on the island is recovering ok... 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 06:17:55 AM »
Here in Kona it maybe rained 2-3" total over the last 3 days, its crazy that there rest of the island got hit so hard... zero wind..  seriously those mountains really must have saved the day for us over here.   I'm hoping everyone else on the island is recovering ok...
Yeah, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa broke up that hurricane and spared not only Kona but also Maui, Molokai, Oahu, and perhaps Kauai. But the whole bayfront of Hilo looks like a giant swimming pool. This after the whole bay area was revamped with newer and bigger drainage pipes to prevent flooding:
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/08/25/video-hawaii-island-flooding-update-noon-on-saturday-aug-25/
Oscar