Author Topic: Passionfruit Trellis Ideas  (Read 29685 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Passionfruit Trellis Ideas
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
What do y'all think is the best material and/or design for a passionfruit trellis? I am hoping to grow Maypop this year.

Only reference here I've found is to chain link fence. Coincidentally I have access to free chain-link fence, but it's not all that attractive, of course.

How about just plain untreated wooden lattice panels? any particular shape/design considerations?

And lastly, is anyone out there growing Maypop?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruit Trellis Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »
Not growing maypop. You won't see the fence after about 4 months.
Shane

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
I think simple horizontal wires are best for passionfruit vines.   I'm growing them on barbed wire fences, up trees and on wood lattice.  The problem with wood lattice, trees and chain link fences is that the old dead vines are difficult to remove.  Barbed wire is good, but simple single-strand wire would even be better.

If the old vines are left, too many passionfruit get caught and don't fall to the ground. 

Here's a related web page: 
http://www.passionfruit.org.nz/Facts-Info/Considerations-for-New-Passionfruit-Growers/Passionfruit-Growing-Structures
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:16 AM »
I used an old 20' x 10' conduit tent, then put fence over the top. Then I am growing the passion fruit up a leg and it will be used to shade my nursery... at least that is the plan. Will see how it goes... could become a nightmare to maintain.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 03:37:57 AM »
I use a simple multi strand wire between two posts rammed two feet in the ground with supports to stop them pulling over with the weight. The amount of cables you want depends on how far apart you are comfortable with. I usually separate them anywhere from 18" to 2' . The passionfruit vines or virtually anything for that matter will find their own way up.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:43:52 AM »
The wires 18 inches apart between tall posts is the usual way I see it done. It makes it easy for trimming and harvest as well as fitting in narrow spaces.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:26:44 AM »
I grow mine up to my porch and along the handrail supported with rope.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
I am going to try that 2-wire idea, since I am not all that pleased with the way the chain link is working out. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »
Fabulous discussion guys...thanks so much.

The horizontal wire idea sounds intriguing.

I did some more research on P. incarnata (maypop) and discovered that it is extremely aggressive, sending out new shoots in all directions, several feet from the initial planting site. I had hoped to put it in a sort of native permaculture area that I am planning in the back of my property, but with this information I don't think that will work. Apparently it goes absolutely nuts and is impossible to control.

So now I am thinking of doing it in a planter with air-pruning design in the bottom so I can control it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
The 2 or 3 wire way allows you to see what's going on and trim off runners going the wrong way.When they climb on a tree or fence and are let go for too long they can become tangled and unruly and very hard to remove.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
The 2 or 3 wire way allows you to see what's going on and trim off runners going the wrong way.When they climb on a tree or fence and are let go for too long they can become tangled and unruly and very hard to remove.

Thanks, Mike! I'm mostly concerned about the underground, horizontal spread of incarnata. I wonder if other species do this too?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
Most passionfruit have surprisingly long roots close to the surface but they are weak and not woody.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »

Thanks, Mike! I'm mostly concerned about the underground,

I had one for years that died of old age.  It was in a large stone planter with the Earth for a bottom next to the house. I started it on a $20 store bought wire trellis, and ran stainless guy wire from the trellis up to the edge of the roof spread in a fan fashion. It covered the entire back side of the house and stayed where the wire was.
Regards,

Gary

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
Yes, I planted P. incarnata here in Colorado (zone 5) and it was an aggressive spreader, even here at the edge of its hardiness.  It spread underground 20' from the original planting site in 1 year- in heavy clay soil!

It took a couple years to finally kill it all off when I decided to get rid of it.  It is hardy here and will set fruit (with hand-cross-pollination) but the season in my area of Colorado isn't long enough to let the fruit ripen.

Kevin

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 03:01:34 PM »
mine dies back every year and comes back.
this is the first year it didnt die to the ground, i have a 1ft vine left,
 almost an inch thick.

i use  1x2 inch 8ft stakes, and fairly thick electrical wire running between them.
ive used lattice strips nailed to the stakes before
but, they always break in a year or 2.

i havent found them that invasive. they do run a bit,
but are pretty easy to pull up. often the roots come right up when you pull at the base.

the roots are very close to the surface.
ive been thinking of digging down a bit, and boxing them in.

Last year, i must have had 80ft of vines and no fruit on my main plant.

the other one i had ,was in a 3 gallon pot, and a 6ft vine climbing a simple pole
gave me 1 nice tasting fruit .
2nd time thats happened.
they fruit more if you contain the roots.

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 05:42:45 AM »
I just use a wire mesh ~ 4" x 4" attached to the fence with small pipe couplings.

Close up photo

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 06:18:30 PM »
Waterfall - awesome pictures and great idea. What you have going there is very attractive. Gives me some ideas for sure.

Kevin - ah-ha! yes, your experience is what I'm reading about others having gone thru. I want to avoid that. But you mentioned cross-pollination - I am not readily finding anything about pollination requirements for P. incarnata. Does one need multiple plants for fruit-set?

Greenman62 - you've given me some ideas about perhaps trying box-in the roots by creating barriers in the soil. Something to think about.

I initially thought of planting this in the "way back" of my property but have also toyed with doing it close to the house in some landscaping. If I can think of a nice way to trellis it, I may in fact do that, in a pot.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 11:47:24 AM »
I stay away from the fencing or lattice. I had used welded wire fence with rebar posts and ended cutting out all of the fencing except the top. I looked really closely at a youtube video on a commercial farm in Africa and it looked like they were trimming off the tendrils so I started doing that. From what I understand pruning is key with these vines and they are a pain when they get all tangled. I am still new to this but I am expecting a ton of fruit since I was shocked the Purple Possum and Fredericks fruited so quick. I also mulch HEAVILY. I am going to experiment with air pruning pots soon. Good luck! I don't know why my pictures always end up sideways. Maybe someone could help me with that. The images are correct on my computer. Maybe because they are square? :P

This is the muscadine trellis with dragon fruit growing up the poles

That attaches to the passion fruit wire

which attaches to the espalier trellis

Simple fence post with wire for the Giant Granadilla

Freshly reworked and pruned rebar post with welded wire top

-Josh

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
I'm afraid to put them in the ground.  Read too many horror stories of difficult erradication.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
I had to rip up an old deck at my house and made a trellis out of the redwood.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
I'm afraid to put them in the ground.  Read too many horror stories of difficult erradication.

I have a neighbor that grows a non fruiting variety that shoots up runners everywhere. I have never seen anything spread from my vines. They will run off and cover everything but I prune everything more than everyone I know.
-Josh

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
Kevin - ah-ha! yes, your experience is what I'm reading about others having gone thru. I want to avoid that. But you mentioned cross-pollination - I am not readily finding anything about pollination requirements for P. incarnata. Does one need multiple plants for fruit-set?

I got 0% fruit set when self-pollinated, but almost 100% fruit set when crossed with P. 'Incense', which is 50% P. incarnata.

Kevin

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
Triloba Tracker
almost forgot to mention
yes
you do need a second plant for pollination.
it can be any passiflora i am told.
i use P. Caerulea.
its very hardy, also, that one is more aggressive.
If you get P. Caerulea.,  i would container it.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »
and a 2nd Incarnata would also work as long as its seed grown
or, not a clone of the first one.
P. Caerulea seems to flower more often to me

chester copperpot

• Morehead City
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »
I have a simple trellis that I use for my grapes, passionfruit and kiwiberries. Due to zoning rules, the one at front is 4' high with a wire at two and four feet. On the sides and back it's 6' with wires at four and six feet.

I made the trellis out of free discarded telephone poles and some surplus trawl wire from work.

I bought a single maypop and it grew out along the trellis for 5 feet in each direction on the wires. I got a half-dozen fruits off of it even though there was no pollinator. It died back to the ground this year. I had some suckers, but they were easy to dig up for propagation or mow over.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk