Nishikawa
1 (2.9%)
Utuado
0 (0%)
Catalina
2 (5.7%)
Lula (Sugary Flavor/Scab Magnet)
3 (8.6%)
CALIFORNIA Hass (Nobody can seem to agree on whether ok for Florida)
2 (5.7%)
Day
5 (14.3%)
Holiday
1 (2.9%)
Mexican/Stewart Mexican (Small, Short season)
1 (2.9%)
Dupuis (Cold Sensitive/Low Production)
1 (2.9%)
Yamagata
0 (0%)
Other
1 (2.9%)
Super Hass
3 (8.6%)
Joey
0 (0%)
Wurtz
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: POLL: Best tasting FLORIDA Avocado for the Dooryard  (Read 11614 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
POLL: Best tasting FLORIDA Avocado for the Dooryard
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
Looking for the straight scoop on the best tasting varieties that will grow & perform satisfactorily in Central & South Florida with emphasis on any very flavorful creamy CA or HI varieties that ACTUALLY do well here as dooryard varieties - hype, rumor & hearsay not withstanding.  Most efforts to grow HI & CA varieties would seem to be futile efforts in being able to consistently get good quality fruit.  Supposedly there are a few exceptions, but it's hard to find a consensus of opinion.

May the best variety win.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:59:03 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Best tasting FLORIDA Avocado for the Dooryard
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:42:29 PM »
Come on guys we need to settle this matter once and for all.  Too many good people getting bad info & planting below average cado varieties.  So what's the best relatively cold hardy variety for Florida that can compete with a Hass?

Day, Wurtz, Oro Negro?? - vote early & vote often!!!

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:45:13 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:59 PM »
Ever wonder why your post is being ignored?
Anisha

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:59 PM »
Ever wonder why you have no friends?  Go back to fondling your pet rambutans.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:02:58 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »
Ever wonder why you have no friends?  Go back to fondling your pet rambutans.

Says the member who posts like 5 new polls each day.. ::) Grow up. That was a legitimate question to think about. Seriously, the moderators like keeping the forum clean. They aren't a fan of redundant posts. They encourage you to search first before you post. Since you are new, no one will say anything. But others are saying they are tired of it. (In private of course) We obviously can't disclose those names. To put it straight; on TTFF, If it's not interesting or is redundant people will either tell you it's redundant or ignore the post completely. It is how it is.
Anisha

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
It's common courtesy to lurk first as a new member, use the search feature, and consider Google as your friend.  In other forums I have answered the same old tired questions from every new crop of newbies a dozen times until I just quit responding.  There have been lonnnnnnng, comprehensive threads on what works best in Fl., what folks like in taste, productivity, etc.  Did you look at Carlos' website? He's evaluated all of these trees under S. Fl. conditions. http://www.myavocadotrees.com/

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
FYI:  I have read Carlos website cover to cover on every variety he has evaluated at least 2-3 times over the years and have frequently linked to it and posted in his forum.  It is an awesome resource and wealth of info, but often stops short of making firm recommendations and by his own admission he considers the "jury to still be out" on many of the newer varieties he's evaluated.  There are many varieties that do well in Miami 10B that are probably not cold hardy enough for Florida 9B - Dupuis, Catalina & Simmons to name just 3.  As for "redundancy" there are no other "voting" polls on favorite avocado varieties on this forum that can be found thru the search feature other than the one I posted.  Go ahead and search - I did before I posted it.  As far as the last "voting" poll on favorite Mango varieties the last one found was from 4 years ago.  Yes I checked.

There is no mandatory requirement to read or respond to any post.  Next time I'll make sure to submit any posts to you for approval 30 days in advance first.     

It's common courtesy to lurk first as a new member, use the search feature, and consider Google as your friend.  In other forums I have answered the same old tired questions from every new crop of newbies a dozen times until I just quit responding.  There have been lonnnnnnng, comprehensive threads on what works best in Fl., what folks like in taste, productivity, etc.  Did you look at Carlos' website? He's evaluated all of these trees under S. Fl. conditions. http://www.myavocadotrees.com/

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
There is no mandatory requirement to read or respond to any post.  Next time I'll make sure to submit any posts to you for approval 30 days in advance first.   

You do that. 

" hype, rumor & hearsay not withstanding" may I suggest you be the judge and start planting to see what works best for YOU?   ::)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:50:46 AM by Mark in Texas »

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Been plantin' fruit trees for over 30 years Tex.  It's not my first rodeo, but I still think I can benefit from the knowledge & experience of others.  Kind of thought that was the purpose of forums.

You do that. 

" hype, rumor & hearsay not withstanding" may I suggest you be the judge and start planting to see what works best for YOU?   ::)

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
I also live in SW Florida and here the Wurtz and Brogdon are the two types i like the best. Both trees are easy to keep at a manageable size and both taste really good

artfusionfab

• USA, Coconut Creek Florida, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
Nighthawk makes excellent points,I am very interested in the poll if you don't like the poll don't respond.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
Nishikawa Dupuis  malama .Furerte avocado is good in florida if you don't mind some uneven ripeing. kampong, ettinger

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
Dupuis is the BOMBDIGGITY. It is early as well. I am going to grab budwood the next time I get down to Homestead. Seriously. Really really good.
-Josh

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 11:00:13 PM »
I planted Day, Wurtz and Lula two years ago. The Wurtz has two fruit on it. Wondering if it's time to harvest them.
The Day had about 35; they are ripening well. Small fruit, decent taste, but the big plus is they're there, and I'm not buying from the store. Skin's thin and smooth, and doesn't peel easily the way a Hass does. I use a knife to get it off.
Lulas are getting bigger on the tree. Waiting till Nov-Dec to harvest them.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 11:18:47 PM »
I have Miguel, Marcus Pumkin, Simmonds, Choquette, Monroe, and Lula.  Lula is the best tasting, imo.  But due to scab issues and smaller fruits, I would suggest planting something else.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 12:33:04 AM »
New information is coming up all the time, like my friend's unknown till recently avo which was my all time fave and was just recently identified as a lula. Over 20+ years her tree was ignored, uncared for, not trimmed, fertilized, or watered... and only this year did it succumb to some infection in the wood.

A few months ago even though I have had a number of avo, I never cared enough for any to remember their name, now that I know the Lula I can answer openly here and in the poll.

BTW, thx for the poll, I missed it the first time around.
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 01:02:57 AM »
I have Miguel, Marcus Pumkin, Simmonds, Choquette, Monroe, and Lula.  Lula is the best tasting, imo.  But due to scab issues and smaller fruits, I would suggest planting something else.

Mark, I agree it is one of the best and it can have some scab issues (not a rampant issue either) but I have not seen fruit size be a problem.

Others to consider, Day, Wurtz,  Pollock, Simmonds, Catalina...and maybe sesk out a Reed or Pinkerton.
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »
Dupuis is the BOMBDIGGITY. It is early as well. I am going to grab budwood the next time I get down to Homestead. Seriously. Really really good.
Dupuis has a peculiarity that I really like. Some of the  late fruit set for some reason stops growing at about 8 oz or so. The early fruit set will continue to grow to 24 + oz but these stay small and hang in the tree a long time. To me it is a delicacy, at this time of the year that is all my wife want me to bring home.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
If you're planting more than one tree and looking to have fruit summer, fall, and winter, I consider Simmonds to be an excellent summer avocado.  I picked the first one a week ago, and it was ready to eat today.  The flavor is sweet and nutty, and the texture is on the dry side, definitely not the dreaded "watery."  The color of the flesh is a beautiful yellow-green.  The fruit is large, must be around 2 lbs.  My tree has grown slowly and not shown a lot of vigor, though it appears healthy.  Is this normal for Simmonds?
John

artfusionfab

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
Is anyone growing Oro negro ,if so what do you think?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »

Yep, greenhouse setting.   For a couple of years I gave it a 5 and considered top working it to one of the high oil rich California ones.  This year it hit its stride, would rate it a 7.5.  Surprised nobody  recommended it for Florida.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »

Yep, greenhouse setting.   For a couple of years I gave it a 5 and considered top working it to one of the high oil rich California ones.  This year it hit its stride, would rate it a 7.5.  Surprised nobody  recommended it for Florida.

Mark, regarding Oro Negro, do you consider it a decent producer?  Carlos says you get double the production or more with Monroe.
John

artfusionfab

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
As Nighthawk has stated, Carlos stopped short on many of his recommendations. I'm wondering what the final decision was on the Oro Negro.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »
Mark, regarding Oro Negro, do you consider it a decent producer?  Carlos says you get double the production or more with Monroe.

It's a decent producer for me but then again I'm not going commercial like Carlos.  In a year or two I'll be on overload with all the avocado trees I have which includes a young Frankencado of 4 of the best - Pinkerton, Ardith, Holiday, and Sir Prize.  Reed is keeping us and my friends well fed, Gwen is next and then Oro Negro in late winter.

I got some Monroe and Catalina fruit from Carlos and even though they were damn good, they are still W. Indies "slimcados" to me.  I'm all into FAT.  ;D

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
As Nighthawk has stated, Carlos stopped short on many of his recommendations. I'm wondering what the final decision was on the Oro Negro.

If I was living in Florida and had a pro like Carlos doing all the research and testing for me in my clime, I'd listen to him and follow his advice.

PIN recommended Brogdon and Oro Negro which I planted.  Couldn't stand Brogdon. It's just like these sorry "Tex-mex" trees (Fantastic, Joey, Wilma, etc.)  pushed by nurserymen here in Texas - has a thin skin which makes for messy processing and anthracnose pressures, big seed, fair taste and texture.  Chopped it down, grafted it to the Waldin it was on, and it's now a Frankencado of rich, high oil fruits.