Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283585 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Mango Reviews
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
Hey forum,

One thing we can all agree on is that there are a lot of different mangos but yet little available information online in the form of pictures and taste reviews. This is especially evident in the newly created varieties and less commonly propagated. With that said I'm going to make an effort to try and post pics of the mangos I eat and this way maybe make some kind of contribution to the mango community. Feel free to join in as well!

I'll start with a mango I ate today which I purchased last week from Truly Tropical called Ryan.

The mango was just over 5 inches long, had yellow-orange flesh, non-fibrous, had high flesh to seed ratio with a thin seed, and tasted like a mild Carrie with slight acidity and firmer texture.

-joep450

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Introducing, from the cosmos series of mangos:
Juicy Jupiter, Big Saturn, and Martian Pride.

Courtesy of the Campbell Boys!

Flavor Descriptions to follow.

JC

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Looking forward to "Mangos of the Solar System" for next year's festival.

In the spirit of sharing reviews, I tasted Young for the first time a day or two ago.

It is a decent looking mango with a subtle flavor, reminiscent of mango.  I'm not angry at myself for replacing my baby Young tree with a Coconut Cream, though I have yet to taste CC.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Juicy Jupiter: very juicy, fiberless, orange flesh. Rich Indian flavors, very sweet, perhaps a slightly milder southern blush. All in all, a very nice fruit in appearance and taste.

JC

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:33:40 PM »
Gotta love those names!

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
I wish I had taken a picture, but I had a royal purple and a Mary the other day.  I know royal purple is a rather uncommon Merritt Island variety, and I believe Mary is as well.

Royal purple is a beautiful fruit, purple all the way around.  Fragrant.  Yellow fleshed, very little fiber only around the pit.  Nice sweet flavor with the aftertaste of concord grape.  Texture basically like Valencia pride, not very creamy.   I rate it a solid 4/5.  A pretty darn good mango and I'd definitely eat them again.

Mary is a small mango, rather unremarkable in shape and color. Fragrant.  Yellow fleshed, very little fiber only around the pit.  Very sweet and very acid, with a strong lemony taste.  Quite like lemon curd.  Texture a bit creamier than the royal purple was.  I rate it a solid 4/5. Pretty darn good as well.  I prefer it slightly to RP, but my girlfriend preferred RP over Mary.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
Here are some pics of a Neelam mango I just ate:

This Neelam measured just over 3 inches and is about the avg size for Neelam. This particular one had plenty of anthracnose and scabbing which may not be typical depending on growing conditions. Neelam is ripe when it's skin is yellow. The flesh is orange-yellow in color, soft but not juicy, without fiber. The seed is small and wide which lowers the amount of edible flesh. I found the taste to be delicious with a syrupy sweet flavor, only wish they were larger!

-joep450

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:15:09 PM by JoeP450 »

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
Mango Review- “Lemon Zest” from Zill’s in Boynton Beach, FL
Lineage: Po Pey Kayu (a.k.a. Lemon Meringue) seedling
Size: 5.5” Long x 3” wide
Date: June 6th, 2013

While I am new to the Florida mango scene and there are many varieties I have yet to sample, the Lemon Zest mango was by far the most remark-able, delicious mango I have had this year.  It doesn’t really have that much classical “mango” flavor to it at all. The skin of the ripe fruit and the inside flesh are both pure yellow. It has the perfect, moderate level of sweetness for me… , not too intense or overpowering.  The center of the soft, creamy flesh has suave, citrusy taste… perhaps a mild ‘lemon gelatto’ flavor. As you eat from the edge of a slice and get towards flesh that is very close to the skin – a distinct Orange Sherbet flavor bursts through. This mango is 'finger licking' delicious… I diligently scraped the skin with my teeth to get every last bit of the sherbet goodness off, then I raked and sucked the seed clean.

An interesting characteristic of the mango I got was that it had particularly large black “hairs” or fibers, embedded in the in the area close to the rind that had the orange sherbet flavor.

There were no normal flesh fibers, an overall smooth + suave & sophisticated eating experience.

I let my neighbors and my parents, who "officially" don't care for mangos after a bad experience with Tommy or Turpentine back in the 70s, try it... and everyone was pleasantly surprised, but my mom was not converted.

Rating: A+

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
Mango Review- “Lemon Zest” from Zill’s in Boynton Beach, FL
Lineage: Po Pey Kayu (a.k.a. Lemon Meringue) seedling
Size: 5.5” Long x 3” wide
Date: June 6th, 2013

While I am new to the Florida mango scene and there are many varieties I have yet to sample, the Lemon Zest mango was by far the most remark-able, delicious mango I have had this year.  It doesn’t really have that much classical “mango” flavor to it at all. The skin of the ripe fruit and the inside flesh are both pure yellow. It has the perfect, moderate level of sweetness for me… , not too intense or overpowering.  The center of the soft, creamy flesh has suave, citrusy taste… perhaps a mild ‘lemon gelatto’ flavor. As you eat from the edge of a slice and get towards flesh that is very close to the skin – a distinct Orange Sherbet flavor bursts through. This mango is 'finger licking' delicious… I diligently scraped the skin with my teeth to get every last bit of the sherbet goodness off, then I raked and sucked the seed clean.

An interesting characteristic of the mango I got was that it had particularly large black “hairs” or fibers, embedded in the in the area close to the rind that had the orange sherbet flavor.

There were no normal flesh fibers, an overall smooth + suave & sophisticated eating experience.

I let my neighbors and my parents, who "officially" don't care for mangos after a bad experience with Tommy or Turpentine back in the 70s, try it... and everyone was pleasantly surprised, but my mom was not converted.

Rating: A+

Excellent evaluative report Brett.  As for your Mom......well, no comment.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
Yes, Brett.  Great description of both mango and eating technique.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
Some other early season goodies from Zill's -

Edgar - this was said to be the "brother" of Coconut Cream... a supposed Edward Gary cross = EdGar.  A nice mid-size mango with a beautiful pink blush... and a complex, almost "royal" flavor. The tasted reminded me of some mangoes I had in India... but toned down and smoother, more 'Western'.  I knew it was really good because I ate such tiny bites, not looking forward to it being gone. Later, I sliced off the second half and drove to the beach... waded out into the water as the sun set... and slowly nibbled the orange flesh off the skin while looking up at sky. I sadly dropped the peel in the Atlantic ocean, walked back to my car and drove home thinking about finding more mangoes of the same quality. A

Gary - a small mango packing some seriously intense, almost "shocking" sweetness and BIG tropical flavor. Tastes like Sunny Delight blended with canned Cream of Coconut, plus a heaping tablespoon of sugar. Delicious, impressive, potent... but maybe a little "too much" for my palate, and the texture was not as silky smooth as some others. B+

Orange Sherbet - I either misjudged the ripeness on this one or got a funky sample. Had jelly seed-like markings around the core and pit, but the  outer flesh was delicious - bursting with a classically "un-mango-like," distinctly Orange Sherbet flavor that lived up to the name. Delicious. Bet it would be a 'hit' at Whole Foods. Can't rate until I get a ripe sample... but promising. This one was smaller than the Lemon Zests.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:29:34 AM by BrettBorders »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
Great reviews!  :)
Alexi

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
Makes me want to pull out my trees and plant those cultivars :D . Keep em coming.

(wrt the dark hairs, I get those in the SE Asian cultivars that are a bit over ripe. Nam Doc Mai especially).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:15:02 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 02:58:13 AM »
Here are some mangos i just picked:
Some of these i've never eaten before, like Fukuda, Harumanis, and Smith. Of the new ones only got to try the Fukuda so far. It was still a bit on the hard side when i cut it but still tasted quite nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. Has a little bit of fiber, but not objectionable. Will review the others later as i slice them.
Question about the Fairchild...is it really a Fairchild? As you can see it has a slight pinkish tinge. Is that possible?
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
Some of these i've never eaten before, like Fukuda, Harumanis, and Smith. Of the new ones only got to try the Fukuda so far. It was still a bit on the hard side when i cut it but still tasted quite nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. Has a little bit of fiber, but not objectionable. Will review the others later as i slice them.
Question about the Fairchild...is it really a Fairchild? As you can see it has a slight pinkish tinge. Is that possible?

Those are lots of mangoes I have never seen before....other  than Rapoza, Neelam, Julie and Fairchild.  Your Fairchild looks lager than ones I grow. It is hard to get exact size perspective as I am unfamiliar with many of the fruits. Your Neelam looks a bit smaller than mine this year, but they can vary year to year. Yes, you are right to be questioning the pink blush.  Mine never get that.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »
Hey forum,

One thing we can all agree on is that there are a lot of different mangos but yet little available information online in the form of pictures and taste reviews. This is especially evident in the newly created varieties and less commonly propagated. With that said I'm going to make an effort to try and post pics of the mangos I eat and this way maybe make some kind of contribution to the mango community. Feel free to join in as well!

joep450

Great idea plus Zill and Pine Island should be paying this forum (support it) for putting up the online photos& content they refuse to and neglect. This will help the new named mangoes and the older ones get sales. I am only half joking,

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »

Those are lots of mangoes I have never seen before....other  than Rapoza, Neelam, Julie and Fairchild.  Your Fairchild looks lager than ones I grow. It is hard to get exact size perspective as I am unfamiliar with many of the fruits. Your Neelam looks a bit smaller than mine this year, but they can vary year to year. Yes, you are right to be questioning the pink blush.  Mine never get that.

What is the size of Fairchild mango trees? There was some implication in one thread that it is a small tree? But the one i have labeled Fairchild is quite a big tree...another thing that tipped me off that it might be mislabeled.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
What is the size of Fairchild mango trees? There was some implication in one thread that it is a small tree? But the one i have labeled Fairchild is quite a big tree...another thing that tipped me off that it might be mislabeled.

I would classify my Fairchild as a moderate grower.  Maybe slightly below average in canopy growth among all of my cultivars.  Definitely not a Julie, Ice Cream or Pickering......but also not a Valencia Pride either. My tree has a considerable spreading habit and is fairly dense.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »

I would classify my Fairchild as a moderate grower.  Maybe slightly below average in canopy growth among all of my cultivars.  Definitely not a Julie, Ice Cream or Pickering......but also not a Valencia Pride either. My tree has a considerable spreading habit and is fairly dense.

OK thanks. I will try to post some better photos of the fruits/tree and maybe you  can help me figure out what it really is?
Oscar

Deb

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
I believe there is at least one more in the series - I picked up a Voluptuous Venus mango at the festival on Saturday.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
Orange Sherbet does have a tendency towards jelly seed.

Some other early season goodies from Zill's -

Edgar - this was said to be the "brother" of Coconut Cream. A nice mid-size mango with a beautiful pink blush... and a complex, almost "royal" flavor. The tasted reminded me of some mangoes I had in India... but toned down and smoother, more 'Western'.  I knew it was really good because I ate such tiny bites, not looking forward to it being gone. Later, I sliced off the second half and drove to the beach... waded out into the water as the sun set... and slowly nibbled the orange flesh off the skin while looking up at sky. I sadly dropped the peel in the Atlantic ocean, walked back to my car and drove home thinking about finding more mangoes of the same quality. A

Gary - a small mango packing some seriously intense, almost "shocking" sweetness and BIG tropical flavor. Tastes like Sunny Delight blended with canned Cream of Coconut, plus a heaping tablespoon of sugar. Delicious, impressive, potent... but maybe a little "too much" for my palate, and the texture was not as silky smooth as some others. B+

Orange Sherbet - I either misjudged the ripeness on this one or got a funky sample. Had jelly seed-like markings around the core and pit, but the  outer flesh was delicious - bursting with a classically "un-mango-like," distinctly Orange Sherbet flavor that lived up to the name. Delicious. Bet it would be a 'hit' at Whole Foods. Can't rate until I get a ripe sample... but promising. This one was smaller than the Lemon Zests.
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
I believe there is at least one more in the series - I picked up a Voluptuous Venus mango at the festival on Saturday.

I guess they left Mediocre Mercury for the squirrels and birds.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
I think I also recall seeing a Plutonic Pleasure.... ???

I guess they left Mediocre Mercury for the squirrels and birds.
JC

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »

Fairchild mango. Typical small size Fairchild. It was green two days ago then fell off yesterday and was yellow. Small plus being green makes this good mango to plant where theft might be a problem. Very good taste, slightly piney (Carrie is more piney), many here have said they like the Fairchild. (sorry photo is a bit fuzzy)   Squam said it is requested at his mango orchard

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
I think I also recall seeing a Plutonic Pleasure....   ???

Don't knock it till...........never mind.
 ;)

I got to taste Mulgoba, courtesy of Squam.   Very tasty, easy to see its influence on subsequent varieties.