Author Topic: tasting lychee for the first time  (Read 7318 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
tasting lychee for the first time
« on: November 12, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
very good fruit, one of the best I ever tried, just like a very good green grape (uva torrontés) but better: sweeter

In my country is very difficult to find them, but I use to buy rare things at an organic food store, so this people told me they could get lychee and I just shouted!

$110 pesos per kg, so something like 13 usd per 1 kg

I hope the seeds will sprout!
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
Re: tasting lychee for the first time
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
Plant the seeds immediately and they should sprout. I got near 100% but that was of felt picked san Diego California USA grown fruit.

I have read they don't produce for a long time, but I can't help but plant. One of the seedlings seems like a dwarf, with really short internodes and smaller leaves

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
The flesh looks good but the skin tells me it's old or imported, hot water treated or irradiated. If you like that fruit, you'll love the fresh fruit. The true Lychee flavor and aroma is lost in about two days, often before the skin changes color. Thanks for sharing!

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
The flesh looks good but the skin tells me it's old or imported, hot water treated or irradiated. If you like that fruit, you'll love the fresh fruit. The true Lychee flavor and aroma is lost in about two days, often before the skin changes color. Thanks for sharing!

Simon

Yes, i agree with Simon. To fully appreciate lychee you need to taste a fresh fruit. In my opinion one of best fruits on this planet! #1 King fruit in China.
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
Kaimana Lychee took my breath away in a brief port stop in Hawiaa. Incredible tasting Fruit...I still say Cherimoya is King though... But I can only eat so many Cherimoya in a sitting.....you can eat Lychee all day until the the Sun sets.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
Kaimana Lychee took my breath away in a brief port stop in Hawiaa. Incredible tasting Fruit...I still say Cherimoya is King though... But I can only eat so many Cherimoya in a sitting.....you can eat Lychee all day until the the Sun sets.

Right. Cherimoya no doubt is also an excellent fruit, but it's hard to eat more than one big one. I tend to give preference to the fruits you can eat all day long without any problem.
Oscar

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
I brought some of the 27 pounds of fruit I picked from a friend's tree to work to share with the Chinese people I worked with. They were all so excited to see them and taste them.

It was pretty fun to share the bounty. I agree about fresh lychee. I tell people how good they are, then they get a rotten one from the store and never w want to try them again.

I am going my dwarf seedling will yield indoors since I recently moved to a freezing climate. It was 7 degrees F this morning!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »

Right. Cherimoya no doubt is also an excellent fruit, but it's hard to eat more than one big one. I tend to give preference to the fruits you can eat all day long without any problem.

Oscar you're right...After one cherimoya, you're practically satisfied...and it's like if you have more than 2...you may overdose?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
This might have just convinced me to try lychee. The jello-like "rubbery" appearing texture kept me from trying it, and I never bothered reading up on it. But if it's like a grape, then I think I've been missing out on something amazing here...

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 12:18:35 AM »
This might have just convinced me to try lychee. The jello-like "rubbery" appearing texture kept me from trying it, and I never bothered reading up on it. But if it's like a grape, then I think I've been missing out on something amazing here...

You should at least try one (fresh from the tree) and for me they are much better then any grape.

You know what, i miss them so much i'm gonna buy me a litchi-tree right now.

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 12:45:50 AM »
I just got a Lychee, then the Santa Ana Winds blew and it lost 3/4 of it's leaves.   But now their growing back..  good to know it's top of people's list, because I was on the fence about it for awhile.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 01:22:12 AM »
I just got a Lychee, then the Santa Ana Winds blew and it lost 3/4 of it's leaves.   But now their growing back..  good to know it's top of people's list, because I was on the fence about it for awhile.

http://www.lycheesonline.com/plantingtips.cfm

It's good to study how to grow them before buying the tree. They need the right soil and location.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 03:21:41 AM »

Lychees are so much better than any grape, especially grapes available in US markets. Texture is similar to grapes, but taste of lychee is so much more complex, and also has very nice fragrance.
Oscar

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 05:34:48 AM »

Simon

Yes, i agree with Simon. To fully appreciate lychee you need to taste a fresh fruit. In my opinion one of best fruits on this planet! #1 King fruit in China.

I agree with both too. Marcos, from seeds it will take many years before fruiting. I suggest you to seek for an aired (de alporquia) plant, which can give you fruits immediately. Here in Brazil, is easy to find them with something around 35 to 70 cm tall and flowers, and it costs between R$ 35,00 and R$ 70,00. I got one for myself (50 cm), and it has 20 fruits for now.
But be advised: the tree can grow so much as a mango tree. ;)
If you comes to Brazil (Sao Paulo) in december, you can visit a place that practices vendemia of lychee. There, you can buy a good aired plant: http://www.lichias.com. There, you can taste rambutã and longan fruits too. ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:46:12 AM by Cassio »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
Oh my gosh - may favorite fruit in the world!
I tried to bring some back from Mexico, but they wouldn't let me on the plane in Guadalajara, so I just sat down and ate several pounds of them in the airport.
Did that in France too.  But that was a bottle of wine...

I have several lychees growing from seed in my greenhouse, but they sure seem to be slow growers.  Like everything else in there, they probably need more sun.

wu

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
The varieties of sweet juicy

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

http://www.lycheesonline.com/plantingtips.cfm

It's good to study how to grow them before buying the tree. They need the right soil and location.

Good Read. The wind thing is a problem on my property, I'm on a hill, so there's very few wind protected areas.  But I got some wind breaks started.

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »
I'm definitely getting a lychee tree, time to stay up all night reading up on varieties :p. But it'll have to wait until next year because it may be too cold to ship it in now. Temps are dropping to 18-20 low :(

I was referring mainly to the texture. If it's like a grape I can see myself loving this fruit, and if the taste is as good as it's being described here, it's sure to become a favorite.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
I'm definitely getting a lychee tree, time to stay up all night reading up on varieties :p. But it'll have to wait until next year because it may be too cold to ship it in now. Temps are dropping to 18-20 low :(

I was referring mainly to the texture. If it's like a grape I can see myself loving this fruit, and if the taste is as good as it's being described here, it's sure to become a favorite.

I'm not sure I agree totally with the grape comparison, though it's not an unreasonable one.  Eating a lychee is quite different from eating a grape.  For one thing, there's no skin to consume after you've peeled the lychee.  In my experience, the flesh itself is usually much firmer than that of a grape.  It does bear some resemblance to a gelatinous or chewy candy, though that comparison doesn't do it justice.  I have a hard time imagining anyone disliking fresh lychee based on its texture.
James

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »

Aren't they GREAT!! they are soooo good!! I miss them, can't wait to eat them again...Glad you finally tasted them  ;D

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
They are an amazing fruit, one of my favorites, though I can't help but wonder if part of their allure isn't the fact that their season is so short.
James

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
They are an amazing fruit, one of my favorites, though I can't help but wonder if part of their allure isn't the fact that their season is so short.

Yes seasonal fruits are more alluring. But there are plenty of seasonal fruits...so that is not the only attraction.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 10:48:39 PM »

You should at least try one (fresh from the tree) and for me they are much better then any grape.

Hehe, thanks for all the coments and tips.. but maybe you never tried a _very_ good grape :-D

anyway, our lychees liked to all people that tried them and we love them a lot.. I hope seeds would be viable... or buy a tree at Brazil as Cassio said!

in the meantime... we can wait till the 2 years old longan fruit...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »

Hehe, thanks for all the coments and tips.. but maybe you never tried a _very_ good grape :-D

anyway, our lychees liked to all people that tried them and we love them a lot.. I hope seeds would be viable... or buy a tree at Brazil as Cassio said!

The grapes in Argentina are much better tasting than grapes found for sale in USA. Americans have mostly focused on seedless grapes for eating out of hand, and they are not top quality in taste. I guess the best grapes in USA are saved for wine making rather than for out of hand eating. It is a shame, but i will almost never buy grapes over here.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »

Well i will never say that i have seen it all (for fruit) but in Holland we get the grapes from France and Spain. They are good but litchi is far better. You can also buy them in a can with syrup but fresh is much better.

The litchi i want to grow is Khom from  Amphawa in Samut Songkhram. That is the ultra tropical litchi which can fruit here. Those like it very hot and very humid.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:13:01 AM by bangkok »