Author Topic: Mature soursop and fruit in Southern California?  (Read 24534 times)

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
Mature soursop and fruit in Southern California?
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »
Does any one successful grow a soursop and fruits regularly in Southern California (10a, 10b zone)? Does any one have a soursop tree that grows in ground more than 10 years? Thank you
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Re: Mature soursop and fruit in Southern California?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
I just started one.. an air-layered sunrise variety.. but just planted that about two weeks ago.. haha.. so I'll answer your question in 10 years..  ;D

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 04:56:53 PM »
Thanks, michsu,
I saw to many soursop trees for sale at Geen Mart @91&57 freeway.  Just wonder? Cool is a biggest draw back for these soursop.
Let it be....

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »
yeah, let's see how long my soursop will last.. it's a 7 gallon one, so it should survive a FEW days at least.. actually it started growing small leaves so far.. Like I showed you last time, I have lots of tropical stuff too.. I'm also trying to grow all the goodies.. all the annonas just die back a little during those 30s.. but that's about it.. the rest of the year they keep on growing.. I'm not worried about the cold.. more about the heat of 100+ degree days we got.. like the last week one where we had 105 for two days.. How was I supposed to know there would be 105s in the middle of October?  :-\ One group of my trees came and two dropped all their leaves (Biew Kiew longan and Sweetheart Lychee) thanks to those two days.. The soursop and ilama are growing new leaves, so that's good.. Hopefully this next group of trees this Saturday will be better (Coconut Cream, Sweet Tart, Kohala, Santol, Pantin, Black Sapote) because the weather shouldn't be hot this weekend..  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:16:09 PM by michsu »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
Does any one successful grow a soursop and fruits regularly in Southern California (10a, 10b zone)? Does any one have a soursop tree that grows in ground more than 10 years? Thank you

In April 2016 will be three years since my soursop has been in the ground,  it's 10-12'. I have a Cuban fiberless that's be on the ground for over 1 year and its 6' this one is hardier it did not loose leaves last year

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
quit doing that JF! haha, you are always one step ahead of me..  ;D

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 01:01:24 AM »
I  am afraid the most are the wet plus cold weather more than normal occurs every three or four years or so in Southern California.  Your trees are growing healthy for three or four years, then snap; one year wet and super cold weather, it killed your tree from the roots up. 
Another reason is your young fruits will not survive through the winter...then, fruits will dried up.

Let it be....

sdtury

• san Diego california
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »

My 7' tall soursop tree is putting out some new growth and blooming (first time).. Its been in the ground almost 2 years.  During winter about half of the leaves fall off..  Today I counted about 20 not fully developed flowers..    ;D.   

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
nice job! then I hope mine can fruit within a year or two too..  ;D

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »

My 7' tall soursop tree is putting out some new growth and blooming (first time).. Its been in the ground almost 2 years.  During winter about half of the leaves fall off..  Today I counted about 20 not fully developed flowers..    ;D.   

Is your tree planted in full sun, or in the shade? I have a soursop I would like to put in the ground, but I am unsure about the location in the yard.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »

Very impressive A. Make sure you hard pollinate if you are unsure of how to HP soursop call me or  drop me an email I'll give you instructions.

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:16:34 PM by michsu »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
After I read A's revealing post of a flowering guanabana in SD I got my flahlight out this evening and decided to inspect my tree. To my surprise I found a bunch of little flowers starting to push and 2 fruitlets amazing!

sdtury

• san Diego california
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
NCH-  my tree is planted in full sun, it doesn't get affected by hot weather,  at least not in San Diego where the hottest temps we get are usually in the mid 90's..

JF-   I'm gonna need instructions on how to hand pollinate,   I'll send you an e-mail as soon as I see fully developed flowers..

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »
NCH-  my tree is planted in full sun, it doesn't get affected by hot weather,  at least not in San Diego where the hottest temps we get are usually in the mid 90's..

JF-   I'm gonna need instructions on how to hand pollinate,   I'll send you an e-mail as soon as I see fully developed flowers..

Ok take pix and let me know

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 01:30:21 AM »
JF, is HP soursops the same as HP cherimoyas? Is your tree in full sun too? When my tree was about a foot long, I noticed it got leaf burn when left in full sun. It's now in a pot under a pomegranate tree, and it's thriving.

HoangNguyen

• US, California, San Jose, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
After I read A's revealing post of a flowering guanabana in SD I got my flahlight out this evening and decided to inspect my tree. To my surprise I found a bunch of little flowers starting to push and 2 fruitlets amazing!

JF, is the soursop, which has flowers, the Cuban fiberless seedling?  It is not even 3 yrs old and has flowers.  Congratulation.  I have Hawaiian soursop seedling.  It is about over 1 yr old.  I am afraid of it may not survive through winter in my area.  I recently grafted it on my cherimoya seedling.  You saw my post the other day.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
When my tree was about a foot long, I noticed it got leaf burn when left in full sun. It's now in a pot under a pomegranate tree, and it's thriving.

My 1-2ft Cherimoya seedlings started to suffer in our dry heat when temps climbed up over 100(even in 60% shade) . The ones that survived are just now making a comeback. My soursop seedlings did much better in the heat. They didn't grow at all when temps went over 105 and stayed there, but looked ok. My few sugar apple seedlings did the best in the heat by far, they grew like weeds during the summer, and didn't show any sunburn when I put them in full sun, after temps started dropping below 105.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »

JF, is the soursop, which has flowers, the Cuban fiberless seedling?  It is not even 3 yrs old and has flowers.  Congratulation.  I have Hawaiian soursop seedling.  It is about over 1 yr old.  I am afraid of it may not survive through winter in my area.  I recently grafted it on my cherimoya seedling.  You saw my post the other day.

No Hoang, it's the other seedling I have. I check on my Cuban fiberless and it appears that it's also going to flower. I talked to a friend from Chula Vista yesterday and he said his guanabana is throwing flowers like crazy and holding fruits! With El nino and a warm winter down the road it's the year of the Guanabana here in Socal.

Cuba Fiberless'

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
Glad to see some guyabano/guanabana tree lovers here.

How many varieties do soursop have? Thanks

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »
Follow JF, sdtury, michsu...Here is my soursop... :) :) :)go for the limit.  Now, pray for mild winter  :D

Seedling soursop tree in a small pot for $69.99 at Green Mart

Inground

Let it be....

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:52 AM »
Well, does anyone has any success in fruiting their Soursop, yet?
If so, how hard it is to keep it to stay alive through the Winter?

A photo or two would be very helpful to encourage me (and others?) to try to grow this in Southern California..., thanks!

Sam

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:54 AM »
I have my guanabana in a 15 gallon next to my mango tree, and it's doing pretty fine

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »
All the leaves fell off of my seedling that I got from Mimosa nursery. It has been in the ground since spring of 2016. Its about 2.5 feet tall...trunk is about the thickness of a quarter. I scratched the skin by the trunk and it was dark brown... but I scratched the skin of the branches at the top of the tree and it was green. I am assuming that it is still alive and didn't die since the branches up top are still green under the skin. Also, I have it planted about 5 feet from a south facing wall so it does not receive any sun throughout this whole time...it is in the shade. In the summer it gets full sun.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:40:34 AM by alangr088 »

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
All the leaves fell off of my seedling that I got from Mimosa nursery. It has been in the ground since spring of 2016. Its about 2.5 feet tall...trunk is about the thickness of a quarter. I scratched the skin by the trunk and it was dark brown... but I scratched the skin of the branches at the top of the tree and it was green. I am assuming that it is still alive and didn't die since the branches up top are still green under the skin. Also, I have it planted about 5 feet from a south facing wall so it does not receive any sun throughout this whole time...it is in the shade. In the summer it gets full sun.

It may be very well dead from the ground up. That's what happened to one of my Sweet Tart mangoes I planted on my parent's ranch. I had plastic surrounding the tree, but a wind blew the plastic over during or after the heavy rains. I  have been busy, and hadn't been over there in like 3 weeks. So with the plastic sitting on top of it, it stayed in a super humid environment sitting in cold soggy roots for too long, and it died from the ground up. The top of the tree was green under the bark, but it was dead at the trunk when I found it in this condition. Now it's completely dead.  :-[ It was in filtered sunlight so I know it wasn't greenhouse induced heat damage.

On a side note, I had 2 in-ground 2 foot soursop seedlings underneath a tree that lost all its leaves during the winter. It got down to 27 degrees and killed one for sure. But it looks like one of the 2 is growing back. I'm surprised on how tough some of these subtropicals are. The cold got the one soursop, all the papayas, and one sapodilla (I thought they were tough?). But all the mangoes, except the one mentioned, came through like a champ. Even the tropical guavas all survived and are rapidly growing back leaves.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:37:35 PM by WaterFowler »