Author Topic: VIDEO UPDATE- Pawpaw Orchard & Garden  (Read 1662 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
VIDEO UPDATE- Pawpaw Orchard & Garden
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:48 PM »
Wanted to post an update to my first video.

This ones 17 minutes - sorry, I was a little talkative I guess.

If you have feedback or questions, please post here - I don’t really keep up with my YouTube account.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/z5ydE2Wt0yY

Denis

• Russia Moscow city
    • View Profile
Re: VIDEO UPDATE- Pawpaw Orchard & Garden
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:17 AM »
Wanted to post an update to my first video.

This ones 17 minutes - sorry, I was a little talkative I guess.

If you have feedback or questions, please post here - I don’t really keep up with my YouTube account.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/z5ydE2Wt0yY
Hello my dear! Thank you for good video!
Best regards,
Denis.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:47:53 AM »
Thank you

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:46:14 AM »
Thats a verry well maintained orchard and garden.
As for the ph issue i wouldnt add sulphur.My pawpaws did verry well when i watered them for a whole year with water that had 9 ph,they tolerate alkaline soils.Adding a source of nitrogen like Urea ( granules,are non explosive unlike amonium nitrate) will lower the ph a bit and there are somme urea granules that are coated in sulphur also for lowering the ph even more and faster than if you would use sulphur only because the bacteria that uses the sulphur needs a nitrogen source =urea.
You could also spray the pale green trees with a foliar iron solution because mostly the lack of iron causes this but they can absorb it through the leaves.At hign ph the iron becomes  less available.
As for the problem with the fungus and the buterfly larva eating the leaves,you shouldnt woŕry much because neyther the fungus or the larvae could kill your trees even if you left them untreated.My paw paws also have holes in the leaves like that.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
Thanks!

Very interesting info on growing them in alkaline conditions.
My soil when last tested had moved below 7, but initially was about 7.8.
Half or more of the trees have nice dark leaves, so it’s confusing.
The leaves on the yelllowish trees are also smaller which makes me wonder again about sun sensitivity.
I have tried light watering with 6.0 pH and it had no affect. I may experiment on 2 or more trees with different things (pH, nitrogen, iron, shade) to see what works. If I can get to it.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Pawpaws like a lot of Nitrogen and you have lower levels because of the wood chips.If you will add nitrogen you will see that the wood chips will start to decompose verry fast and becoming black.
If you want to stop the wood chips from decomposing fast ( to act as a mulch and not to turn them into soil) then scrape the wood chips a little and add the nitrogen to the ground and after that put the wood chips back.
Also ,if you add the nitrogen on top of the wood chips,then a.lot of that nitrogen will not reach the pawpaw roots because bacteria will use it to decompose the mulch.
If you add urea granules then it will fix all your problems,add nitrogen,lower the ph a little and the iron will become available due to lower ph.Be carefull to choose Urea and not urea nitrate for safety , because simple urea its non explosible while urea nitrate its explosive.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
Yep, I follow you on all that.
I initially fertilized in April by removing wood chips and putting down Milorganite (N and P source), aged chicken manure, and alfalfa meal, lightly working it in and watering before putting mulch back.
I did this on all trees except the ones I planted this year.

I’ll look into the urea. Thanks!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »
I tried some Blood Meal around a few trees and as an experiment, some chelated iron drench on a couple others.
MAYBE the blood meal treatment has resulted in a minor greening. The Iron has done nothing.

One of the trees that had shown yellowing is now looking burned - actual brown spots like someone burned it with a magnifying glass in the sun.

I am coming to the conclusion as I hypothesized in the video that the issue is UV sensitivity/too much sun.

This is surprising because the trees were anywhere from 3-5 feet tall after last year's season. According to KSU, 18 inches is the minimum height for full sun exposure, so it's mysterious why these much taller trees are showing sunscald.

I suppose it's because they have grown so fast - these are all seedlings (my grafted trees look fine) and are only in their third growing season (second one in the ground).

I have shaded these trees now and hope this helps.