Author Topic: Myrica rubra  (Read 73714 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Myrica rubra
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2015, 11:44:15 PM »
Web says M. Californica and M. Cerifera do better with 3mos cold stratification.
Both of these should work. Yes, that's what the seed instructions say too. Start with a plant if you can. I just don't know where to get a rootstock around here.

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
Fang Liu,  I have two young native myricas (myrica californica) in the ground but I thought you said myrica cerifera had been more successful rootstock for the yang mei.  If you want to "adopt" one of my myrica and try grafting it, that would be fine.  It's in the front yard so you could come visit your child anytime.  I'm two  miles from the ocean, so it is definitely more humid here than in Burbank.  If you're going to be at the WLA CRFG scion exchange, we can talk then.  BTW, if you want a myrica californica for your very own, the Grow Native Nursery in the WLA VA grounds currently has five one-gallon trees.  I got mine from them as one-gallons several months ago, upcanned them to five gallons and put them in the ground last week.  Though of course, I am still hoping to bring back genuine yang mei trees next month.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Myrica-Rubra-Chinese-Bay-Berry-Morella-Rubra-Subtropical-Rare-Seeds-/371089995124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5666aff574

Myrica rubra seeds

$0.79
free shipping

also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121449350116?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i actually bought them just now from here...
along with  Kakdam papaya
and Pom seeds
$5 or so for everything

any guess as to germ rates ?
LOL

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:27 AM »
I am done with Myrica seeds if my current batch doesn't work, Ill wait until someone has seedlings for sale.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
I am done with Myrica seeds if my current batch doesn't work, Ill wait until someone has seedlings for sale.

I gave up on them. Much easier to just buy some southern bayberry plants (or even find them growing wild) and just graft them.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »
I didn't want to discourage people from trying to grow from seeds. They should last a year. One batch I cracked open the shells to find 25% of them already aborted and paper thin. 50% germination would be really good. You'd have to crack the shell to remove the source of inhibiting hormone, which is the shell. Seed coat also inhibits but much less. I wouldn't try to remove that since the seed is so fragile.
A professional fruit harvesting friend in China did want to discourage me from doing it. He said he wouldn't plant seeds in the Fall from fruits of the same year. I can ask for seeds later this year if I remember.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2015, 08:55:38 PM »
On M. Californica. One cleft graft, two veneer, two whip:

Thanks fyliu!
Shane

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:39 PM »
On M. Californica. One cleft graft, two veneer, two whip:

Thanks fyliu!

Very nice update us with the progress.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Will do. Btw, I got the M. Californica from Briggs in Vista. They were the 4th nursery I called, so not terribly hard to find. I'd love to get that Sierra species, hartweggii, so that I could grow in colder climes. That can wait till its working on Californica though.

Had a great walk around today. All my pear grafts are breaking buds. Avos looking ok. Loquots too. Spring is here in San Diego.
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »
So all of my grafts failed. Will try again someday. Jim Nietzel said something discouraging to me today when I asked him about Yangmei. Said he had the same experience as everyone else that's ever tried them (presumably in CA), i.e. they struggled for a while and just died.
Shane

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2015, 01:39:07 AM »
They do seem tough to graft. I have had some success with totally brown woody scions with no swelling buds. Any green scions with buds always seem to push growth too quickly and then shrivel before a connection with the stock is established. I think I will end up with a few good ones from this years batch of scions though. Last year I only had two successes, a BiQi and a female seedling. I might try air layering next.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
Visited San Francisco Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park. Library said they had myrica rubra but turned out to be super small:

Didn't have time to find the mature tree reportedly in berkeley arboretum.

Actually right next to the rubra was a californica, with something else growing up between its two trunks. No label, but it look related and had nice smelling leaves different from the californica. Californica leaves on right, other on left.

Shane

yc889

• Bay area, California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2015, 05:30:55 PM »
It seems like a little easier to graft on M. Cerifera than on M. Californica, but this summer I succeeded on both with the approach grafting method.
The native growing area has much higher humidity, so I believe the key to a high grafting success rate is providing a high humidity environment (using shaded plastic bag or a greenhouse), although I did not use them for myself. Grafting thicker (7 to 10 mm) scions also helps a lot, but I have succeeded on couple of 4 mm  scions too.
I never had any problem with the tap water in my area (ground water and Hetch Hetchy water mixed). I also had lots of seedlings die but I think that's mostly because of insufficient shading from sun, or insufficient water.
I sowed some M. Cerifera seeds in July/August, and had a bunch of seedlings in Sept. M. Cerifera and M. Californica are definitely much easier to handle than yangmei plants, and the yangmei scion I grafted on M. Cerifera had deep green leaves, and appears less susceptible to watering conditions or shading requirement.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
Thanks for chiming in on your successes. I did a few approach grafts but 2 of the californicas actually died in the heat we were having. I didn't re-water quickly enough. M. cerifera plants seem to be more difficult to get here. I'll see if I can get some online and try approach grafting those.

My last californica approach graft hasn't been cut yet. Maybe I'll wait for next spring when they're actively growing.
Jsvand5 told me he cut some off too soon and they didn't make it.

What would be good times to put on and cut grafts? Keeping them over the winter doesn't feel ideal.

yc889

• Bay area, California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2015, 10:41:02 PM »
I also had a few that's cut too early and died. A couple others, I cut a little early, but when I observed they were starting to wilt, I gave them the plastic bag treatment, which saved them. Overall, my experiment on approach graft probably will end up with a 50% success rate or better. Next year I do this I should do better than that.
I am also trying the approach graft with the scion cut from the donor plant, but with a bottle to keep its water supply. No conclusion yet, but so far looking good. If this method works well, that will make things a lot easier.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2015, 03:44:09 AM »
You mean cut the donor scion and keep the cut end in water for a while while the rootstock continues to merge with it? Interesting.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2015, 06:38:54 AM »
Both of my attempts to grow from seed failed.  Although I didn't know about shelling the first go round.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »
thanks for the heads up on approach grafting yc.

the old bottle graft! that's fun. that's an old technique that's also used to get off season flowering for cross polination.
Shane

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Anyone have updates on the best technique for sprouting seeds, where to buy seedling plants or grafted plants? I did a forum search and the seeds seem nearly impossible to sprout and even if they sprout, they seem to die.

Sounds like innarching is the way to go but you would need a living plant to innarch to.

If anyone has a plant for sale, I’m definitely interested! Thanks,

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
This plants seems really hard to propagate to me. It might be because I have one tree and it's a weak one that produces weak cuttings. The bareroot shipping probably damaged the roots too much and it's not recovered for many years. Maybe I need to grow seeds and inarch it like you say.

I'm still trying to figure out seed germination. I've been cracking them open and they look fine inside. Then they become moldy and rot. I guess put them in peat moss so the fungus don't get them so fast. I haven't had much success myself.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »
I know of two separate projects to propagate the Chinese cultivars of Myrica (actually Morella) rubra and make plants available for sale in the US. I think it's safe to say that within 3-5 years they'll be easily found.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
Has anyone seen this site ?

http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/myrica_rubra.htm

they say they ship to the USA.
i am sending them an email to get pricing.
it may be cheaper to get a group order going ?
i really want 1 or 2 (they have different varieties)
"black-peak" looks interesting...

unless its very expensive i will probably order.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
Dang, such horrible font color choice on that website.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »
That's where we ordered from before. The website looks a lot better already. There's no scrolling or pop up stuff. Images are less stretched than before too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk