Author Topic: How tall would these citrus tree get? Meyer, Kaffir, Calamansi.  (Read 2429 times)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
How tall would these citrus tree get? Meyer, Kaffir, Calamansi.
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
I'm thinking of growing Meyer lemon, Kaffir and Calamnsi in front of my house to block out South sun that shine into the window and head up my office. The area is about 8' x 8'. Can I grow these trees 3' away from my window?

This is the mess I need to clear up and replace with the citrus tree as Fig did not work out in my area and the peafowls are enjoying the figs too much.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: How tall would these citrus tree get? Meyer, Kaffir, Calamansi.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »
I'm thinking of growing Meyer lemon, Kaffir and Calamnsi ...

You mean calomondin as seen in So Flo...decorative but non edible. Kaffir lime seems non-edible too. Look at its wikipedia entry.
Meyer Lemon...highly edible and trendy. I hear it is like a milder lemon and less acidic. I have one ready to container culture next spring.

Calomondin looks very nice with its little fruits but the fruits are way too sour. All citrus was originally small and sour and was bred over centuries to get sweet and large oragndes, grapefruits etc.

WIKI-
Calamondin, also known as calamansi, is an economically-important citrus hybrid predominantly cultivated in the Philippines. It is native to the Philippines and surrounding areas in southern China, Taiwan, Borneo, and Sulawesi. Calamondin is ubiquitous in traditional Filipino cuisine. It is used in various condiments, beverages, dishes, marinades, and preserves. Calamondin is also used as ingredients in the cuisines of Malaysia and Indonesia.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
Calamansi/Calamondin is eatable, it can be made into marmalade, salad dressing, Asia lemonade, and "preserved calamansi lime" which is good for sore throat.

Kaffir lime leaves is critical for many Asian cooking such as Thai Tom Yum, Laos sausage and Malaysia Rendang. Those are the reason I grow them. Because they're not known for consumption by most American, it's save to grow at the front yard so people won't steal them. Meyer lemon would be a different story, it's quite expensive to buy at the store so I want to grow it if it fits into my grow area.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »
All those trees can be pruned to size.  Your project could make kind of an interesting citrus hedge.
I think that to say calamondin is not edible is mis leading.  Out of hand it is sour but used instead of limes or lemons it has some advantages, especially in that, like a kumquat, the skin is edible.
Peter

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
 Meyer makes the biggest tree  but all will reach similar heights

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think I should look for Dwarf Meyer Lemon as it's probably the biggest trees on my list. I already have Kaffir Lime and Calamansi, they are not that big for 3 years old plant so I don't think they will get much bigger that will be taller then my roof.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
Meyer is a lemon crossed with orange so the trees are bigger

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
Keep them small enough to treat for the leaf miners and worse.  Unless you have the time to treat all the time, the only thing I've found that works is imidacloprid. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »
Dancy tangerine free of any sprays

Recent cold helped color them up

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
I have a Meyer lemon, it's about 5 feet tall and easily to keep short. Still produces 100+ lemons at a small size, though I am letting it grow up a bit now.
Effeminately a good lemon in my opinion. I make tons of lemonade when I have lemons, and you can freeze the juice too. I want to get some sugarcane going soon so I can use that for the lemonade... yum.
-Kris

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
Keep them small enough to treat for the leaf miners and worse.  Unless you have the time to treat all the time, the only thing I've found that works is imidacloprid.

Yes my Kaffir lime is currently suffer from Leave miner. I applied this a few months ago so it seems like the leave miners have stopped:

https://www.amazon.com/BioAdanced-Science-Based-Solutions-Vegetable-Concentrate/dp/B004BLNVMS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I will move forward with my citrus hedge project as soon as I get the current area clear up.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
Leaf miners control is about timing

They attack the new flush and spray after damage is seen is too late  they are tucked away inside the leaf.

As soon as you see a flush starting l, spray with oil spray

Repeat following flushes

Maxi crop spray can clear up a lot of little stuff

Bugs tend to attack weaker plants

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »

Yes my Kaffir lime is currently suffer from Leave miner. I applied this a few months ago so it seems like the leave miners have stopped:

https://www.amazon.com/BioAdanced-Science-Based-Solutions-Vegetable-Concentrate/dp/B004BLNVMS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I will move forward with my citrus hedge project as soon as I get the current area clear up.

That's the product I was talking about, imidacloprid.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 03:07:16 PM »
Leaf miners control is about timing

They attack the new flush and spray after damage is seen is too late  they are tucked away inside the leaf.

As soon as you see a flush starting l, spray with oil spray

Repeat following flushes

Maxi crop spray can clear up a lot of little stuff

Bugs tend to attack weaker plants

You're correct, but there are a couple of issues there.  One is the growth flushes usually happen around rain, which washes off the application.  2, it assumes you only have a few trees and/or have the time to spray constantly. 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
Former grove owner

Oranges and sunburst tangerines

First flush in spring during dry season and sometimes second

Dense planting for easy spraying

If just a couple trees I clip all the fresh damage to interrupt the life cycle and spray the following flush

If you want a true lemon the Bearrs originated in Central Florida and the quality is quite high

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
Meyer lemon would be a different story, it's quite expensive to buy at the store so I want to grow it if it fits into my grow area.

I snagged mine at Lowes three week ago. One gallon, looking very good for $14. There were 2 Meyer Lemons, other lemons and limes and lots of calomondin. Any Lowe's you drive by go in and see what they have. Or wait until
 the big spring gardening push when Lowe's gets lots of fruit tree and muscadines, guava, banana, citrus deliveries in one gallon size.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:36:13 PM by zands »