Author Topic: Cleft grafting mangos?  (Read 1477 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Cleft grafting mangos?
« on: May 08, 2020, 09:28:05 PM »
I was watching mango-grafting videos and saw Richard Campbell cleft graft a mango tree.

I will be trying my hand at grafting and the cleft graft seemed outwardly easier to do--I'm afraid I'll cut too deep in the root stock's cambium layer if I try veneer grafting.

But cleft grafting does not seem to be commonly practiced with mangos and I was wondering why. So, why?

Thanks!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Cleft grafting mangos?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
If you are afraid, you can practice peeling thin strips of bark back and reattaching them.

Since the cambium is between the bark and the wood, you usually don't end up cutting too deep on mango which has a leathery, pliable bark, and firm wood.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Oolie! I'm also going to be practicing preparing scions. Do you know why cleft grafting isn't typically used? I'm guessing it's because it could be harder to match size of scion with rootstock?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Oolie! I'm also going to be practicing preparing scions. Do you know why cleft grafting isn't typically used? I'm guessing it's because it could be harder to match size of scion with rootstock?

The most commonly practiced graft is the one most easy and convenient to perform, the path of least resistance.

You don't need a terminal bud for a veneer, so any swollen bud will do, plus you get excellent cambium contact and the graft heals more quickly/stronger attachment point.

Also, you are correct, in many instances it's easier to get a cambium match with a veneer.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:57:43 PM »
Im not an expert at all but cleft grafting seems quite easy to me.  I think one of the reasons the big operations use a single bud vaneer type graft is so they get more grafting material from the parent tree.  Not necessarily because its easier. 
Brad Spaugh

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »
Cleft grafting is my most successful practice with mangoes, my veneers are getting better, but definitely suggest starting with clefts. Ideally your scion and graft target are exactly the same width, simple then to match the cambiums as long as your cuts are true. If your graft target is larger than your scion width, it's still pretty easy to split your target off-center, where it matches the width of your scion. If your scion has a greater diameter than your graft target, it's gets a little trickier. I usually go for a veneer in that case and hope for the best.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
One reason that side veneer is used more than cleft is if the graft fails you can put another graft on quicker. I think the cleft is better overall.
Peter

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
See this method that is shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTcBEjGKkE

It is not exactly cleft nor is it veneer.  I believe she has it demonstrated in another video on grafting.
I use all depending on the material I have.  There is a veneer method method that Zill demonstrated here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp_QOOLRTcI and a variant of sorts that a forum member coined "grave and coffin" strange name but decent method for some types of scions.

My suggestion practice them all.  If you prune your plants, practice your cuts and on the branches you plan to prune before or after you prune them. 

Enjoy

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
See this method that is shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTcBEjGKkE

It is not exactly cleft nor is it veneer.  I believe she has it demonstrated in another video on grafting.
I use all depending on the material I have.  There is a veneer method method that Zill demonstrated here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp_QOOLRTcI and a variant of sorts that a forum member coined "grave and coffin" strange name but decent method for some types of scions.

My suggestion practice them all.  If you prune your plants, practice your cuts and on the branches you plan to prune before or after you prune them. 

Enjoy

Just chiming in here because you're new to grafting. I had some success with avocado and citrus but zero with mango until I tried the method mentioned above. I have almost 100% with this one when working on in-ground trees. I won't even bother with any other method. Only thing is the root stock has to be somewhat bigger than the scion. I highly recommend it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk