Author Topic: Drooping Leaves on Pickering Mango Trees  (Read 1267 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Drooping Leaves on Pickering Mango Trees
« on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:41 PM »
A lot of my newly planted mango trees went into bloom. The leaves on the ones in bloom seem to droop, particularly the Pickerings. Is this normal?

I've had them bloom and fruit before, but it was when they were in a pot and didn't produce but one or two fruit. They were heavy bloomers this year and seem to want to produce a lot of fruit. While the leaves are droopy, the panicles are not.

Here are pics of two of my Pickerings:

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: Drooping Leaves on Pickering Mango Trees
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:54:48 AM »
South Florida has had very little rain so perhaps they need lots more water

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »
It looks like a mixed flush/bloom but is under stress. The new leaves have not hardened & tend to droop especially in water stress.
You might notice less stress in morning which would indicate it needs water.
Tree will be happier with competing grass removed out 3 feet or so and some mulch to conserve water and keep soil temp lower.
Removing fruit on a small tree might put energy into canopy and root growth. 3-4 mangoes such a young tree might produce might only cost a few dollars to buy and allow tree to reward you with larger crops faster.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
Yah, looks like lack of water.
Jeff  :-)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »
Even after a lot of rain, the tree still droops. The panicles remain perky, though. The other fruiting/blooming mango trees also still have droopy leaves on the stems with panicles, but not as extreme as this Pickering. This one is also on a slope, and I encountered a fire ant mound at the edge of the planting hole. I poured boiling water on the ants, though I think some survived and are regrouping.

Should I worry about this little (~4') tree? When should I remove the fruit? Any other suggestions?--I thought about relocating it, but don't want to stress it out.

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk