Author Topic: Pitangatuba — Are there two races of this species?  (Read 833 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Pitangatuba — Are there two races of this species?
« on: September 02, 2020, 03:37:11 AM »
I've noticed that some photos and texts show two types of fruit on pitangatuba (Eugenia selloi) different plants.  One has spherical fruit and the other has oval shaped fruit. The oval one is purportedly less tart than the spherical one. 

In addition, there seem to be two types of leaves on these two 'races', if indeed that's what they are. One has glossy/shiney leaves with a crinkly surface and the other's leaves have a smooth matte finish, but I don't know which is which since I have plants with both types of leaves but which are all too small to fruit yet.

Does anyone on here have any further information which could corroborate that there may be two distinct races of pitangatuba based upon the descriptions I posted above? This would help in making a decision for which to choose when purchasing this species.

Just curious . . .

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:42:27 AM by Epicatt2 »

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Pitangatuba — Are there two races of this species?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 04:39:30 AM »
I think there’s more than that. Ever seen miguelT’s pitangatuba?  Very different elongated fruit.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 06:21:28 AM »
There is wide variation in pitangatubas. Adam Shafran (Flying Fox Fruits) recently posted a video on YouTube (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2VjjcH9Ens) about pitangatuba variation.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »
Out of one batch I had plants that produced different shapes of fruit with different wings and taste was a bit different as well. On the big one I retained the winter and summer fruits are quite different. They smell so good but are just a bit tart so sweet types would be great. The word race might not be the best one and it seems unlikely that there are distinct subspecies. Variation seems to be across a spectrum/continuum. Some lines or selections seem different and I don't know if the word variety which is confusing in itself is apt. Varieties are more distinctive lines that are recognisable, consistent and have a genetic basis as it is used in science. It means something different legally with PBR stuff but that is not the normal use of the word I guess.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 04:59:48 AM »
I have three fruiting trees.  One of them weeping and more productive so far.  The fruits are a bit different in shape and big.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk