Author Topic: How do you know if cherimoya and atemoya fruits are ready to be picked?  (Read 1930 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
I googled it and only thing i found was if the bumps smooth out and skin color changes to a yellowish green?  I used this last year for my pink mammoth and i think i picked it too early.  Others i have seen is to wait for fruit to drop? 

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 05:57:13 PM by boxturtle »

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: How do you know if cherimoya and atemoya fruits are ready to be picked?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:15:43 PM »
I pick my annona reticulata var. kampoung mauve when they are soft, thats for private use. Don't know when comercial people pick them.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »
You're not too far from me. For me my cherimoyas tend to ripe earlier like Nov, Dec. Atemoya would be in late Dec, Jan.  But this may all depend on the cultivar and location also.  I usually could tell ripeness by feel, color, smell. 
I think cherimoyas tend to develop a bit of a slight sweet but pungent smell similiar to the leaves. Because of the indented shape of your cherimoya the yellowing should be easier to find on the shoulders of the fruit between the bumps like the picture below. Also ripe cherimoya fruits tend to have seeds that rattle more if you shake them but hard to do till you pick it ahaha.  Your cherimoya looks like it could be ripe. I use to grow a lot more in the past but I have mostly atemoyas now for the firm texture.
Your atemoya looks like it may still have a 1 1/2 or 2 months to go. It's still very green. For them you may see some yellowing between all the bumps around the fruit.  I can usually easily tell they are ripe by feel as they develop a slight tacky feel on the skin maybe due to the sugars.
You can wait for them to drop but from my experience the drop fruits tend to develop a mushier texture and not as sweet.
Goodluck! Excited for u!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 12:56:30 PM by Eggo »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »
You're not too far from me. For me my cherimoyas tend to ripe earlier like Nov, Dec. Atemoya would be in late Dec, Jan.  But this may all depend on the cultivar and location also.  I usually could tell ripeness by feel, color, smell. 
I think cherimoyas tend to develop a bit of a slight sweet but pungent smell similiar to the leaves. Because of the indented shape of your cherimoya the yellowing should be easier to find on the shoulders of the fruit between the bumps like the picture below. Also ripe cherimoya fruits tend to have seeds that rattle more if you shake them but hard to do till you pick it ahaha.  Your cherimoya looks like it could be ripe. I use to grow a lot more in the past but I have mostly atemoyas now for the firm texture.
Your atemoya looks like it may still have a 1 1/2 or 2 months to go. It's still very green. For them you may see some yellowing between all the bumps around the fruit.  I can usually easily tell they are ripe by feel as they develop a slight tacky feel on the skin maybe due to the sugars.
You can wait for them to drop but from my experience the drop fruits tend to develop a mushier texture and not as sweet.
Goodluck! Excited for u!

thank you :)

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 10:00:00 PM »
What time of year you pick last year where you thought was too early?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »
My estimation for AP is 2 months after skin transition from dark green to light green.
I haven’t made any observation on cherimoya.

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »
For cherimoyas, that slight color change to yellow/green is a factor I use to determine when to pick!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk