Author Topic: Most Outrageously Delicious Canistel Ever  (Read 18592 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Most Outrageously Delicious Canistel Ever
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »
Was able to get limited amount of scion wood of this excellent canistel. Making it available for those interested: 2 scions plus shipping in USA $16. PM me if interested.

Oscar,

I'd take 2 scions for posterity!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
I'm not a big fan of canistels but have tasted one that was excellent and quite moist. Strangely enough it was a random fruit bought at Saigon Market in Orlando, Fl. I will keep trying them until I find a few winners and will be trying them in recipes in hopes to find a use, besides fresh. I still have not had a chance to sink my teeth into a Ross. I have heard there are a few trees around one area of the island but haven't had a chance to snoop around.
Life is good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
I'm not a big fan of canistels but have tasted one that was excellent and quite moist. Strangely enough it was a random fruit bought at Saigon Market in Orlando, Fl. I will keep trying them until I find a few winners and will be trying them in recipes in hopes to find a use, besides fresh. I still have not had a chance to sink my teeth into a Ross. I have heard there are a few trees around one area of the island but haven't had a chance to snoop around.

Bob, keep snooping around Vieques like Peter Falk on an episode of Gilligan's Island....

you get my vote for "fruit hunter of the year"...

i just know you're going to unearth some real treasures, if you haven't already  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
I had one the other day that was the  texture and sweetness of a fresh moist date, and tasted like canistel mixed with that artificial grape (think purple popsicle). But it was small and seedy. Definintely something I could eat out of hand and enjoy though.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »

Bob, keep snooping around Vieques like Peter Falk on an episode of Gilligan's Island....

you get my vote for "fruit hunter of the year"...

i just know you're going to unearth some real treasures, if you haven't already  ;)

Haa! Peter Falk with a dash of Hunter S. Thompson.

Adam you have the seedling from the canistel I am referring to somewhere in your flora flea market. It is labeled "Saigon Market".
Life is good

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »
I have tried some pretty good canistels including some that are very large with perfect skin.I have a Ross sapote that is great and the best canistels are about on par with it and it produces multiple crops.
About 3 years ago Peter Salleras of Mission Beach (Feluga really) brought me a canistel that was bred by a local farmer which he said was great.Its first good crop ripened in the last few weeks and in a epiphany moment much like what Oscar experienced I was delighted with the first one.Thai visitors who have stayed at my place for 8 weeks have attacked the fruit like a plague of locusts and are absconding with every seed.The last one is ripe now.My visitors also have been quite taken with black sapotes and the local atemoyas.

Mike you didn't get what i was trying to say. This canistel is in a different league. Way better than any Ross sapote. Almost seems like a different fruit. Doesn't have any of the strong musky taste or annoying cloying sweetness.
Oscar

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 11:02:18 PM »
    Hello Group

I realize that this is a older thread but I was curious if anyone had success grafting scions of this " Jay Ram" canistel . After reading the description by Oscar it sounds like a tree that I would love to try growing at some point. Oscar i'm sure that you added it to your collection . Would Love to hear feedback especially of the grafting  successes of folks on this board.

William

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:45 PM »
    Hello Group

I realize that this is a older thread but I was curious if anyone had success grafting scions of this " Jay Ram" canistel . After reading the description by Oscar it sounds like a tree that I would love to try growing at some point. Oscar i'm sure that you added it to your collection . Would Love to hear feedback especially of the grafting  successes of folks on this board.

William

Mine didn't take. I am hoping he gets more in the future. Oscar didn't have any available when I asked him about it a couple weeks ago.
-Josh

FloridaFruitGeek

• USA, Florida, North Marion County, USDA Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Florida Fruit Geek
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
This whole discussion has got me wondering about how different people react to the flavor and texture of particular canistel fruits. I haven't had the opportunity to try many named varieties -- the majority of my canistel eating experiences have been in the Sapotaceae grove at Fruit & Spice Park, where most of the trees are unlabled as to variety.

I absolutely LOVED the vast majority of canistels I ate there, as well as most I've eaten elsewhere. It's really my favorite fruit (yes, I like them more than mangoes!). But I was always puzzled about how the employees at FSP never seemed very excited about all those golden treasures dropping from the canistel trees. Whenever I asked them how they liked canistels, they'd typically shrug their shoulders and make some indifferent comment, sometimes saying it's too dry for them. Same comment I frequently see online, people saying they want a moister-fleshed canistel.

That gets me wondering. The dryness that other people complain about -- is it  exactly the texture I like in this fruit? Or are they just eating it at an earlier, drier stage than I'm eating them? Perhaps the varieties I've eaten just have particularly moist flesh?

And then there's flavor. Reading this thread, I wish I could sit next to Oscar of Fruitlovers, sampling the same canistels, to see if the "strong musky taste or annoying cloying sweetness" he detects in many varieties are qualities I would also find objectionable, or maybe the flavors he dislikes are exactly the flavors I love about this fruit. Oscar does say he's not a huge fan of canistels.

I've also heard people online complaining about canistels having a fart-like aroma. I've never detected any such smell in any canistels I've ever sniffed. Again, makes me wonder if we're dealing with different types of canistels, different stages of ripeness, or if we just have different noses.

Guess I need to meet up with some of the other people on this board during canistel season, and have a canistel taste-off. Have others noticed a wide range among people in which canistel varieties they prefer (flavor, texture, & aroma), or do you find that different people tend to rate canistel varieties similarly?

-Craig

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
I am getting reports that white sapote can grow in your northern FL climate

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
I had the same thought a few weeks ago.  Crazy. 

I have liked the unknown fruit that I have had at Fairchild and Benders grove.  But the only time I had a ross, it tasted grapefruity to me (not a grapefruit fan--but do like hops) and I am hoping that I like the Aru and Fairchild #2 I planted, but never tasted the fruit.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 05:47:25 AM »
This whole discussion has got me wondering about how different people react to the flavor and texture of particular canistel fruits. I haven't had the opportunity to try many named varieties -- the majority of my canistel eating experiences have been in the Sapotaceae grove at Fruit & Spice Park, where most of the trees are unlabled as to variety.

I absolutely LOVED the vast majority of canistels I ate there, as well as most I've eaten elsewhere. It's really my favorite fruit (yes, I like them more than mangoes!). But I was always puzzled about how the employees at FSP never seemed very excited about all those golden treasures dropping from the canistel trees. Whenever I asked them how they liked canistels, they'd typically shrug their shoulders and make some indifferent comment, sometimes saying it's too dry for them. Same comment I frequently see online, people saying they want a moister-fleshed canistel.

That gets me wondering. The dryness that other people complain about -- is it  exactly the texture I like in this fruit? Or are they just eating it at an earlier, drier stage than I'm eating them? Perhaps the varieties I've eaten just have particularly moist flesh?

And then there's flavor. Reading this thread, I wish I could sit next to Oscar of Fruitlovers, sampling the same canistels, to see if the "strong musky taste or annoying cloying sweetness" he detects in many varieties are qualities I would also find objectionable, or maybe the flavors he dislikes are exactly the flavors I love about this fruit. Oscar does say he's not a huge fan of canistels.

I've also heard people online complaining about canistels having a fart-like aroma. I've never detected any such smell in any canistels I've ever sniffed. Again, makes me wonder if we're dealing with different types of canistels, different stages of ripeness, or if we just have different noses.

Guess I need to meet up with some of the other people on this board during canistel season, and have a canistel taste-off. Have others noticed a wide range among people in which canistel varieties they prefer (flavor, texture, & aroma), or do you find that different people tend to rate canistel varieties similarly?

-Craig

I'd say you have a different opinion than most about canistel, especially given that you say you like canistels better than mangoes. Mangoes almost always make it to most people's top 10 fruits. I'd say that making it to top 10 is extremely rare for canistels, maybe even top 25.
Oscar

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
    Oscar

Were you successful in your grafting efforts to add this " Jay Ram " canistel to your collection , and if so how long do you think it would be until bud wood would be available ? Maybe a couple years ?

William

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »

And then there's flavor. Reading this thread, I wish I could sit next to Oscar of Fruitlovers, sampling the same canistels, to see if the "strong musky taste or annoying cloying sweetness" he detects in many varieties are qualities I would also find objectionable, or maybe the flavors he dislikes are exactly the flavors I love about this fruit. \

Yes, I suspect that the qualities he finds objectionable are either unnoticed or pleasant to you-and me.

I'm another canistel fan, with limited experience eating different varieties.  Ross is the only one I'm currently growing

I'd like to try Oscar's find.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2015, 06:08:34 PM »

And then there's flavor. Reading this thread, I wish I could sit next to Oscar of Fruitlovers, sampling the same canistels, to see if the "strong musky taste or annoying cloying sweetness" he detects in many varieties are qualities I would also find objectionable, or maybe the flavors he dislikes are exactly the flavors I love about this fruit. \

Yes, I suspect that the qualities he finds objectionable are either unnoticed or pleasant to you-and me.

I'm another canistel fan, with limited experience eating different varieties.  Ross is the only one I'm currently growing

It's not just me. Most people are not so crazy about canistel for the very same reasons. If you try to sell this fruit you will see what i mean. The good news is that there are selected types that i think would be a whole lot more popular with most folks.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »
    Oscar

Were you successful in your grafting efforts to add this " Jay Ram " canistel to your collection , and if so how long do you think it would be until bud wood would be available ? Maybe a couple years ?

William

Yes scions will not be available of this canistel for at least a couple of years.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
I have a canistel that was the end product of several generations of crossing the best types around here.It might be better than my Ross sapote with moist and rich flesh than is less sweet potato than most.Those big perfect,smooth skinned bright yellow types are dry too often and not moist enough.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »
      Oscar

Thanks for the reply. I will be patiently waiting . At this time I only have Trompo which is growing nicely.

William

Joshua

• Australia gold coast Queensland subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »
Please tell me more about canistall in a pot Jeff or anyone else.  I'm mainly a container gardener until iget some land and have sseveral just dying to get planted or repotted

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
Joshua, here is the link of Adam's experience fruiting a Bruce in a pot

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9610.25
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:36:24 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Joshua

• Australia gold coast Queensland subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »
Sorry mabi I it was adam

FloridaFruitGeek

• USA, Florida, North Marion County, USDA Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Florida Fruit Geek
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »

It's not just me. Most people are not so crazy about canistel for the very same reasons. If you try to sell this fruit you will see what i mean. The good news is that there are selected types that i think would be a whole lot more popular with most folks.

Part of what's so confusing about this discussion is that we don't have enough widely distributed clonal varieties of canistel to use as reference points, for people who are widely scattered geographically. What seems to be the most widely distributed variety of canistel (or relative of canistel, depending on who you ask) is Ross Sapote, and unfortunately there appear to be numerous seedling varieties being distributed under that name. So your Ross Sapote could potentially  have a very different flavor and texture than mine.

Not to mention differences in climate, soil, rootstock, stage at which fruit was picked, ripeness at time of eating, etc, etc.

We just need to have a bunch more canistel-eating parties, with named varieties, and everyone can fill out a form rating each variety!

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »

"Yes fruit collector, yes still alive (i think). He's on the lam."

I would suggest NOT naming this fruit after Jay Ram,who is a notorious pedophile, but instead calling it the Triades (Tropical Research in Island Atoll Development Experiment Station, which was the name of Jay's farm). Just sayin'.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:05 AM »

"Yes fruit collector, yes still alive (i think). He's on the lam."

I would suggest NOT naming this fruit after Jay Ram,who is a notorious pedophile, but instead calling it the Triades (Tropical Research in Island Atoll Development Experiment Station, which was the name of Jay's farm). Just sayin'.
Was he ever convicted of anything? If not i think you're innocent till proven guilty. Anyway this has nothing to do with the fruit itself, or its inherent value.
Oscar

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
I think mangomike is right, should give it another name. Someone who keeps absconding (first to Florida, then allegedly to California) in order to escape trial is not worthy of the "innocent until proven guilty" standard.

The conviction rate for sex crimes in the US and other Western countries is very low and the conviction rate in general has gone way down (per unit of crime committed) due to more bureaucracy, political correctness, corruption, etc.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida