Author Topic: Latest tree trip  (Read 1033 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Latest tree trip
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
I did a run Thursday and hit three spots. Fruitscapes in Bokeelia, A Natural Farm in Howie in the Hills, and Pokey's Citrus in Zellwood. Pkey's and a A Natrual farm are about 15 min apart so if I hit one I hit the other. 

The main reason for my trip was  I wanted to replace possibly two of the 7 gal ($70) purple Caimitos I purchased earlier this year from Fruitscapes. I say possible because they both defoliated after experiencing  a couple of weeks in the unheated greenhouse. The temp is usually around 50 but I did have with a few nighttime lows in the upper  30's.  I am not sure if it was lack of water or the cold. One of them had shriveled leaves when I noticed it and the other (which I hope will come back above the graft)completely defoliated. The one with the shriveled leaves failed the scratch test and it is stiff. R.I.P. The second reason was to get a butterscotch sapodilla.

First StopFruitscapes
I texted earlier in the week and got an indeterminate answer about what they had for Caimitos. I decided to take the risk since they confirmed what they had the butterscotch sapodilla in 7 gal and at a cheaper price than was quoted on in the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum. Unfortunately they did not have purple Caimitos in the 7 gal size so I bought a 15 gal for $150.  It was about a foot short and 2 cm too narrow for me to call it a good deal for a $150 plant. It looks pretty healthy though so we will see. The bigger disappointment was the butterscotch Sapodilla. I must have caught them when they upsized the pots. It was way small for a 7 gal tree. It would have been a deal at 3 gal for $45 and just fair at 5 gal for $60 but it was not a good deal at all for $70. I had to get it because I knew I wasn't going to hit anywhere else. The service on this trip was good. The young guy there was polite and helpful. I snagged some canistels from the market which did not have much fruit and headed to the next location.

Second stop A Natural Farm
I hit that spot to look for some miracle fruit trees. I have purchased miracle fruit trees before and so far the ones I have gotten from them have been the healthiest and the best producing. I bought two 1 gal that would have been really nice 3 gal at any other vendor. They cost $45 which is more than fair for the actual plant size but about $20 too much for the pot size. That said I would have bought more if I had the loot. If you are in the market for Miracle fruit trees get them from these guys. Don't worry about the pot size. Buy the plant because the caliper size and the health make them worth it.

Pokey's
My last stop was Pokey's. I was hoping to snag some cold tolerant Avocados, a Meiwa kumquat and some fertilizer. I don't know what Pokey has in his fertilizer but it is the best stuff I have found. I have a hard time thinking he has a special blend but the fertilizer I bought from him seems to do better than the fertilizer I bought from other places.

The big score  I found at Pokey's was a 3 gal ($45) Young Hands (I actually think it is "Younghans" White Sapote. He only had one and it was back near a mix of yellow strawberry guavas, black sapotes, and something else I can't remember. I actually had planned on getting my godson to pick up a  Younghans in Phoenix at Oleary's (assuming his website is accurate). I probably will still get the one from Phoenix but I am happier that I got the one in Florida. I also snatched up a 3 gal ($45) black sapote  so I can experiment with inarching with my texas persimmon and my Nikita's gift persimmon. They had a nice healthy Yehuda loquat. I picked up a 3 gal ($55) that  I felt it was a little high as well. The Emperor Lychee stung a bit more; $65 for a 3 gal! I got a 5 gal Meiwa for $65. A good fair price in my opinion. I talked to Pokey for about an hour. He is as always great to talk to and full of knowledge. If you are near Zellwood go by and see Pokey. He is slowing down but he has wealth of knowledge and he has really good quality citrus and avocados. 

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Latest tree trip
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 07:34:33 PM »
Interesting when you were at natural farms in Howey-in-the-Hills did you lay eyes on their red and black  jaboticaba? We were planning on going up there this week to get out of the house and it's a nice area. According to their nursery list they have red and black. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:06:30 PM »
I actually did not look at the jaboticabas. I have purchased two from them in the past. One was a great deal the other one was not grafted as well. Neither have fruited and both are the "red" variety.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
Just in case anybody searches this forum and wants to know, Canistels taste nothing like egg. Likewise based on the the one I just ate they also do not taste like sweet potato, pumpkin pie or anything else I have heard then described as tasting like. The texture is somewhat similar to hard boiled egg or cooked sweet potato (dry type like white or Okinawan) but neither really explains it. The flavor is "tropical". There is a citrus note but absolutely not tartness. There is something similar to soursop and custard apple and pawpaw. Also there is no resiny flavor.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:59:49 PM by CarolinaZone »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 11:55:55 PM »
I have eaten many canistel (Fairchild 2, Trompo, Aurea and Bruce) and the flavor of a properly ripened canistel does resemble pumpkin (Ross less so but there is still a slight component).  Never have I noticed a citrus component as you described.

The name egg fruit is not for the flavor but due to the resemblance to a hard boiled egg yolk.  The better varieties/specimen are more moist and creamy, lesser quality specimen are more dry like a hard boiled egg yolk.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk