Author Topic: Some pics from Nha Trang, Viet Nam  (Read 9723 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Some pics from Nha Trang, Viet Nam
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

Vietnamese grown "australian mango" - R ...... our Aussie members should know this ;D

Tim

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Some pics from Nha Trang, Viet Nam
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »
Tim, thanx for sharing. The sugar apples look delicious. There is one pic that looks like it's showing the almonds that we had back home.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
Awesome, mouth-watering pics.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
incredible pics

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
Tim.....great shots....lots of sugar apples!   
FloridaGreenMan

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
Great pictures. Going to Vietnam and other Asian countries is at the top of my bucket list!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:08:43 AM by MarinFla »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:35 AM »
righteous straight out of Vietnam and big  thanks. They're eating good over there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:01:13 AM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:23 AM »
Looks like a great trip Tim! How long were you there? What was the highlight for you? Thanks for all the nice  photos.
Oscar

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
australian mango looks is either R2E2 or a big Kensinton Pride
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
Amigo, looks like you had a great time over there ;) Thanks a lot for sharing those awesome pics :)

I have a lot of questions for you... for example, how did those java apples taste? Which ones did you like the most? The mangosteen, I guess they were imported, right? Which fruits did you like the most?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Hi Tim,
Thanks so much for sharing...all them fruits look great 8) A fruit i'm really surprised to see in Viet Nam, is Caimito :o Never knew you could find them over there :o
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »

This my favorite fruit presentation

What type of trees are these?

Interesting planting method.

Noni in concrete
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:39 AM »
Wow!  Lucky fellow, looks like a great time.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »

What type of trees are these?
Looks like trees with little pepper on them?

Are some of the sugar apples bigger than others? I saw the first ones in photo and they looked giant. Then I saw the one with a quarter on it an d they're just normal sized. Thanks for all the pics.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for looking.  It was an awesome trip...too bad my stay was short.

cuban - you nailed it, tropical almonds!!!  Sea grapes & Tropical almonds are used extensively there as shade trees.  I was the only one picking fruits aside from two kids there ;D

FGM - sugar apples are in season ... Vietnamese people only care for the chewy textured SA, non chewy SA can't sell at all there.  I brought back some excellent cherimoyas from San Diego but not one person cared for it, they all hated its texture.

Oscar - I was there for 3 weeks.  It was not at all a fruit hunting trip though I found plenty at the markets to keep my mouth busy.  Highlight?  Kids got to meet grand folks on their moms side for the first time.  They ate everything I did ... fruit-wise.  Oh yea, watching them play on the sandy shores I grew up on - for me that hits home the most  ;D 

Recher - it's indeed an R2E2.  I liked it a lot ... well, more than Kent at least.  It's commercially grown about 30 something miles south of my home town.

Felipe - java apples taste?  They varied a lot, I had some really sweet and juicy to some really bland ones.  I'm not familiar but I think these were Black Pearls?  The Black Diamond I had several months back was better.  They had to import mangosteens from Thailand in years back but they're locally grown now, the only imported fruits were apples & oranges.  Hoa Loc mango was imported too but that's from different provinces within the country.  We were right in the middle of mangosteen season & paid less $1.5/kilo.  Which fruits did I like the most?  We went through piles & piles & piles of mangosteens quicker than any other fruits so I'd say Mangosteen ;D.  I think it's easier to pick out what I didn't like:  langsat.

She liked it

Steven - Chrysophyllum cainito are grown everywhere there...they even have established cultivars.  Funny you brought caimito up cuz I never found a great tasting purple caimito...until this trip.  It was incredibly delicious, I'm now a fan of this purple type.  Notice its atypical shape compared to other caimito fruits?

Fyliu & Harry - those are Ochna integerrima trees.  They were for the lunar new year ... the ones you see in that picture were going for $20-40/each depending on time of purchase and your haggling skill. 

As for the planting method, I saw a much bigger noni tree and some fruiting sugar apples grown in the same manner.  It's unreal these trees can thrive under such conditions, yet here we are pampering our trees to death.

This tree here was selling for 7,500,000 (around $360) - marked up 2-3 times because of the lunar new year but still cheap.

Tim

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
R2E2 is a good mango less enjoyed by Ozzies than it should be. I think this is because people eat it t=at toio ripe a stage. Like Tmmmy Atkins it should beeaten firmer than you would with most mangoes.

I buy R2E2 but for my taste buds Kensignton Pride is definitely better
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
A vietnamese friend of mine was importing those bonsai'ed mickey mouse plants and selling them on ebay. He said they were upwards of 10 years old and sold for a hundreds of dollars here in the states.

I really like the chewy sugar apples. They remind me of atemoya. You can peel the skin and eat it like a peeled orange.
Jeff  :-)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:51:48 AM »
Tim - excellent photos - glad you had such a great family trip!

Gary

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »
Steven - Chrysophyllum cainito are grown everywhere there...they even have established cultivars.  Funny you brought caimito up cuz I never found a great tasting purple caimito...until this trip.  It was incredibly delicious, I'm now a fan of this purple type.  Notice its atypical shape compared to other caimito fruits?

Hi Tim,
That's freak'n awesome, great to hear you finally found gold 8)

Slowly but surely them new world fruits are making there way into the hearts of Asians 8)

Your daughter sure is having blast on the beach, with a malay apple in the hand ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »

Hi Tim,
That's freak'n awesome, great to hear you finally found gold 8)

Slowly but surely them new world fruits are making there way into the hearts of Asians 8)

Your daughter sure is having blast on the beach, with a malay apple in the hand ;D

I think starapple has been in Vietnam and Thailand for quite a few decades. I've seen starapple in backyards in Thailand, but you never see them in the markets.
Oscar

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:31 AM »
not sure how long starapple has been in Vietnam, but I remember my paternal grandparents' house had a huge tree that seems to have always been there.  They also had malay apple, rambutan and jackfruit trees - these are not considered exotic to any Vietnamese I know.  They seem to have always been around...
kimi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »
Seems that starapple must be grown commercially in Vietnam because USDA is considering allowing them into USA after irradiation. Here is the proposal and study:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/process/downloads/Vietnam-StarApple.pdf
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 06:09:13 AM »
Seems that starapple must be grown commercially in Vietnam because USDA is considering allowing importation of Vietnamese starapple into USA after irradiation. Here is the proposal and study:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/process/downloads/Vietnam-StarApple.pdf
Oscar

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
I'm jealous of you, able to stay there for 3 weeks! Last time I was there for only 2, and that was in 2006. Great photos, damn I want some annonas now. Did you make it to VinPearl with the cable ride?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »
Yes Sir!  I actually wanted to take the ferry so the kids can can run around a bit but we went by cable car both times.

Here's the view from the island...

First view of the island coming off cable car...  notice all those "fruit" trees?  Hundreds, or possibly thousands, of mango trees all over.  You can't tell in the picture but nearly all trees of age were sending up panicles ... can't imagine the sight in the summer, must be beautiful seeing mangos hanging from the trees all over.

Ground level view from the island...

View from inside the cabin on our way back to mainland...

I'm jealous of you, able to stay there for 3 weeks! Last time I was there for only 2, and that was in 2006. Great photos, damn I want some annonas now. Did you make it to VinPearl with the cable ride?
Tim

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
Everything in your photos were still being built when I was there. I loved the desolate beaches, just my family and another. All that to ourselves! Off topic: have you been to Phu Quoc island, just gorgeous.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
Really nice pics Tims... Looks like you had a lot of fun...:) And wow... all the fruit looks so good.

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
very tempting pics Tim - I keep coming back to have another look.  Those malay apples reminds me of the cashew apples I used to eat (a taste that I still miss after all these years). 
kimi

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »
Newgen - haven't been to Phu Quoc but I was told by family & friends that's a definite must ... so maybe in 5 years?

Kimi - have you been back there?  If not, I think it should be on your schedule ;D
Tim

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 03:27:01 AM »
Tim - I've been back a few times, but all before I became interested in tropical fruits... those visits mainly had me indulging in soursops, longans, rambutans, star apple etc... the fruits I knew from childhood.  Wasn't too concerned with seeds/tree growing, cultivars etc... :)  next visit will definitely be more interesting.  :)
kimi

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
Tim I just found this post...did you see what anyone was doing with the sea grapes? I am sure I am missing the boat on them. I bet there is more to be done than sour jelly...
Thanks Kathy Thomas

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
WOW!!! AWSOME!!! Impressive diversity... i just love to try them!!!  :P :P :P

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
Kathy - there was hardly any interest so no, I didn't see it in anything processed.  About the only thing I got were weird looks pulling over on the side of the roads to pick fruits ;D

Tim I just found this post...did you see what anyone was doing with the sea grapes? I am sure I am missing the boat on them. I bet there is more to be done than sour jelly...
Thanks Kathy Thomas
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:44:15 PM by Tim »
Tim

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
It's a tropical paradise for growing fruit there.

Amazing variety of fruits and great pictures. Thanks for putting your fist in to have an idea of fruit size.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.