Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940266 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2325 on: October 01, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »
What about Physical Graffiti?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 03, 2017, 02:28:46 AM »
I have the same problem getting orange spots on my dragon fruit

This also looks like fungi.  Your best bet is spray with systemic fungicide.  If you do nothing it could rot or the plant will fight it off.  I have seen it on my plants when I sprayed with fungicide these turned into black crust.  I have also seen my plants fought off some smaller patches.  That spot eventually get crusty and peels off.  I know people feed their df via foliage sprays.  If you must, do it early mornings.  Keep the stems dry at nights.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 03, 2017, 02:37:41 AM »
Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to buy some fungicide tomorrow  hopefully it stops it from spreading

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 04, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
My yellow df has a flower developing for the first time, but it's already October. Considering the slow speed of yellow df, do you think I can realistically expect fruit for next year? Or will frost kill it?
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 05, 2017, 02:44:21 AM »
My yellow df has a flower developing for the first time, but it's already October. Considering the slow speed of yellow df, do you think I can realistically expect fruit for next year? Or will frost kill it?
The fruit can hang on the vine until next year and then ripen. If your area gets too cold, it can rot.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 05, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »

They normally flower around this time of year. My Megalanthus is flowering also. It actually has three stages of fruit development. It has one last Fruit hanging from last year, several green fruit from an early bloom about two or three months ago and there are flower buds forming again.

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 05, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
You can see all three stages of Fruit development in this picture

Simon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 05, 2017, 02:07:11 PM »
Very cool! Thank you very much
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 05, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
A couple of thoughts:
  • This park is going to be _full_ of flowers in 4-6 weeks, when the next flush of flowers blooms.

They're blooming! There were 3 open this morning, and I didn't have my pollen collecting kit  >:( .

I'm going back tonight, around 9:30 - 10:00 PM to collect some pollen. Anyone want to join me?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 06, 2017, 02:21:05 AM »
Here's the vine that's closest to the street. I'm calling this the "A" vine.

This was 9:00 PM in the evening; it's a 15 second exposure to get that much light. Full resolution, here.

There were at least 2 dozen blooms tonight, of which 5-6 were easily reachable on foot, and one more with a stepladder. I have about a teaspoon of pollen in my fridge, because some of my own vines will bloom within a week.

I didn't have any of my own pollen with me, so I couldn't pollinate this vine, but I will bring some next time I visit. I did hand-pollinate these flowers with their own pollen, though I suspect they're self-infertile (but I don't actually know for sure).

The B vine (also outside the gate) had only one bloom, but there are more buds ready to pop over the next several nights.

The C vine (inside the gate) also had lots of blooms tonight, but I couldn't get inside.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:26:17 PM by TheWaterbug »

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #2335 on: October 06, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
Wow! Now THAT is a dragon fruit vine!
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 06, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »
Is it normal for the dragon fruit bud to have a little yellowing​?

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 09, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Hmmm. Notice anything unusual in this photo?

Probably not, right? It's just two buds, ready to pop that night.

NOPE! That one on the left flowered the night before. I hand-pollinated it and collected its pollen, expecting it to be dried up and withered the next morning, like every other DF flower I've ever seen in my (admittedly short) experience.

But the next morning it was closed up as if it had never bloomed at all. That next night (last night) the flower to the right bloomed, and the one on the left was still closed up like this.

Has anyone observed this before? Does that flower on the left want a re-do?

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 10, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
I'm excited seeing my first Bloom :D.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »
Nice! What cultivar is that? What are you doing about pollination?

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: October 11, 2017, 03:02:12 AM »
It's a physical graffiti that I got from my neighbor. i just need another variety to cross pollinate.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: October 11, 2017, 10:53:13 PM »
It's a physical graffiti that I got from my neighbor. i just need another variety to cross pollinate.

I have physical graffiti that does not require another variety to cross polinate. However I hand polinate and cross polinate when I have multiple blooms. It gives me a lot of fruits compare to the Vietnamese red type.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:33 PM »
Wow I thought it wasn't self-fertile thanks for the info. How much do you water your DF when it has fruit?

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
Wow I thought it wasn't self-fertile thanks for the info. How much do you water your DF when it has fruit?

I water every other day . I plant it in 30 gallons with micro sprays.

Mag

• Austin TX Zone 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: October 12, 2017, 12:09:00 AM »

I would not count on this. Many people report physical graffiti is not self fertile. Including this well known vendor: http://www.spicyexotics.com/product/physical-graffiti/

I think there are multiple plants that people call physical graffiti. I lost a season of fruits before I figured out mine is not self fertile..

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »
Yes, the real physical graffiti is not self-fertile, like most of Paul Thomson's crosses. There's so much trading and fake ebay sales that people end up with something else. People like mattslandscape and Linda Nickerson and spicyexotic provide references for what the real ones should be like.

If you have a lot of DF plants then you're bound to get a few naturally cross-pollinated by animals. That's not the same as bagging the flower before it opens and then making it set fruit by pollinating with its own pollen when it opens. That's what self-fertile means.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
yea spicy exotic gives some good info on DF I already bought four cuttings from their site a month ago. I already have a couple DF growing in 30gal wood planters

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: October 12, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:43 AM »
Out of the Four (Lisa, Delight, American beauty, Maria Rosa) Which one is the best at producing fruit? I'm interested in getting some cuttings

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: October 15, 2017, 12:34:46 AM »
Brandon, if you are interested in getting some cuttings I can hook you up with a few. I also live in Ontario, CA, and I have plenty of plant material to pass some on. Private message me if you are interested.
p.s. If anyone else is interested in cuttings of S8 Sugar Dragon, Haley's Comet, Orejona, American Beauty or a few others I'd be happy to pass them along. Has to be in person though, as I had a bad experience sending plants through the mail and I try to avoid that whenever possible now.