Author Topic: Annona dioica  (Read 33883 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Annona dioica
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
it's annona dioica.

they're really easy to grow! I hope the fruits are delicious, and live up to their reputation.

where did u get that one Mike?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:43:05 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
Adam
 You gave it to me when it was 1 inch tall . You new it was a annona but not what kind. I think that was when I came up to your house.
Mike

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
hahaha...it's nice to see the plants I've distributed are doing well!

now that I've heard so much good stuff about this species, I'm glad I planted these.

I bet this plant will do very well in FL...but I don't think it likes excessive rainfall, and moisture....so may be best to grow in containers.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
That is good because I grow all of my annona in containers so I can protect them from the cold. I have over forty in pots after losing all of my atemoya in 2009 to the cold. After talking with Adam about growing  all cold sensitive plants in pots.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:50:54 PM by TREESNMORE »
Mike

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »
Interesting discussion. I have several seedlings of annona tomentosa (seeds from Helton) and plants look quite similar to the pictures of Annona dioica. Reginaldo Baião from Brasil told me about Annona dioica that " The flowers of this species are rarely pollinated, perhaps for lack of pollinator." His photos : http://www.flickr.com/photos/38938362@N05/5474384496/#in/photolist-9kKDMA-9kKDNC

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »
Interesting discussion. I have several seedlings of annona tomentosa (seeds from Helton) and plants look quite similar to the pictures of Annona dioica. Reginaldo Baião from Brasil told me about Annona dioica that " The flowers of this species are rarely pollinated, perhaps for lack of pollinator." His photos : http://www.flickr.com/photos/38938362@N05/5474384496/#in/photolist-9kKDMA-9kKDNC

Hello Radoslav,
welcome to TFForum! I saw your photo in Flickr. How is your collection annonas? What species of Annona you now grow? What is already bloomed?
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »
Hello Alex

my annonas (seedlings):

atemoya
a. cherimola (flowering seedling)
a. cornifolia (flowering seedling)
a. deliciosa / rollinia deliciosa
a. montana
a. squamosa
a. scleroderma (flowering seedling)
a. muricata (flowering seedling)
a. neosalicifolia / rollinia salicifolia
a. purpurea
a. reticulata
a. tometosa

I used to have, but lost : annona crassiflora, raimondia, uvaria ovata, rollinia rugulosa, rollinia emarginata, burahol, a. glabra
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:34:55 AM by Radoslav »

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
I'm almost going to follow in your footsteps! I have the same types except A. tomentosa and A. cornifolia (just planted 10 seeds from ASaffron). I have recently sprouted seeds of "purple" variety A. squamosa "Kampong Mauve", Raimondia sp. from two sources and three 2-weeks seedlings of this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Seeds-Custard-Apple-Cherimoya-Chirimoya-Sugar-Apple-SweetSop-Annona-/221273064303?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3384e7036f#ht_1691wt_927

The seeds came in the mail quickly and the delivery was free.

What's wrong with your Raymondias and A. crassiflora? Because of what?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:14:57 AM by AlexRF »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
Raimondia - I bought seeds years ago from http://www.guaycuyacu.net/seed_sell.html
I was not  succesful with all seeds from this seller  - the reason, I think is, that they come from enviroment- real jungle,  to different from my conditions.
Annona crassiflora (seeds from Helton) - this, makes my realy sick = I always want to have annona crasiflora tree. It tooks nearly 2 years to sprout - I had 12 beautiful seedlings, but after  few weeks they started to lose leaves, one leaf growed, one droped and again and again and finaly they died. I think, that there had to be some infection on seeds or maybe this plant (annona crassiflora) need some special (poor) soil or what.

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
My Raimondia seedlings from two sources: the first  is "Guaycuyacu" (Jim West), second - Cuevo Del Polvo, Tenerife.
Sprouts are very moody especially from the first source. They like the warm moist air, but not too wet ground. Feel better in mixtures where less peat. At a temperature of 20-22 Celsius seedling death (root rot) for 3 days (one set for the experiment).

"... they started to lose leaves, one leaf growed, one droped and again and again ..." - I have the same happens with seedlings
A. diversifolia (Ilama). Part of the soil changed to a simple garden and made a bottom heat. It seems it has become better. We'll see ... I also suspect that the consequences of the GA3 treatment. Do You treated seeds Marolo before planting?

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
It seems to me that "wild" Annonas not grow well "in-store" soil mixtures. Respond well to the addition of a garden-forest soil and sand.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
No treatment for seeds before planting.  I guess that for annona seeds from Brasil, the best soil is some kind of  "terra rossa". So, next time I will use soil from my garden mixed  with sand for better drainage characteristics.

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
I'll look for Marolo seeds in February of the new season.
I hope you have already planted the seeds Annona spraguei?
I would be grateful for any "uncommon" Annona seeds sources.

Good luck in all your endeavors!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
Interesting comments on Annona crassiflora, AlexRF and Radislav.

When I brought a bunch of seeds from Brasil to Florida in 1996, we planted them under several conditions at Zill High Performance Plants.  Those which lived the longest, about two years, were in deep pots, in a very hot greenhouse, on the edge of a poorly irrigated area.

We did not try adding beneficial soil bacteria or fungi.  There are now many organic fertilizers with soil microflora which one ought to try now.
Har

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 04:40:08 AM »
Interesting comments on Annona crassiflora, AlexRF and Radislav.

When I brought a bunch of seeds from Brasil to Florida in 1996, we planted them under several conditions at Zill High Performance Plants.  Those which lived the longest, about two years, were in deep pots, in a very hot greenhouse, on the edge of a poorly irrigated area.

We did not try adding beneficial soil bacteria or fungi.  There are now many organic fertilizers with soil microflora which one ought to try now.

Thanks Har!
Indeed Marolo comes from the Cerrado, hence has a long tap root, so we need a high pot with well-drained soil fertilized microflora.
A. crassiflora (Marolo) and A. coriacea (Marolo-Liso, also by Cerrado) seedlings grown in many Brazilian forest nurseries. We ought to ask our Brazilian friends on the forum (Dreamfrutas, RICBITAR...) to get in these nurseries instructions for germination and cultivation of these species.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
Alex & Har or someone else

What do you guys recommend getting from Helton (annona sp) ?. I'm looking for something delicious and have a similar seed to pulp ratio to the more common annona like soursop and sugar apple.

Thanks

Mohd
Moh'd

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
Mohammed,
Perhaps the only Annona mucosa "Biriba" (ex Rollinia Deliciosa). Ratio is the problem.
As they say, the fruits of Marolo (Annona crassiflora) are good. But grow it outside of Brazil is quite a feat.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »
Thanks Alex

Right now, I'm growing ....
- Thai giant annona squamosa (the fruit is almost 1 KG  :o)
- Atemoya
- annona squamosa (purple)
- Annona reticulata (from Puerto Rico)
- annona muricata (from india)
- annona mucosa

And Soon I hope I can get Ilama and Soncoya seeds. BTW, what do you think about ANNONA NEOSALICIFOLIA and Annona salzmannii ?.

Duguetia lanceolata is certainly one of the most beautiful looking fruit.

Moh'd

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Dear Mohd,
I trust the opinion of Anestor Mezzomo, he grows several A. neosalicifolia and receives regular crop, the taste of the fruit responds very well.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101936771881917391876/FruitsFrutas30MontagensDeFotos?noredirect=1#5331959842107711634

Previously this specie called Rollinia salicifolia. That is a "wild" close relative of Biriba - Annona (ex Rollinia) mucosa.
Judging by the Anestor's experience it performs well in cultivation. The fruits are clearly larger than in the wild.
I have six months grow 4 Annona neosalicifolia and 2 Annona (ex Rollinia too) xilopiifolia (almost the same fruits, different leaf shapes). All from Helton's seeds.

Many people in the north of Brazil, especially from the state of Bahia, appreciate the taste of the fruit Annona salzmannii.
Although the fruits are like the fruits of "wild" Rollinias, it is "true" Annona. According to the form of its flowers, it relates to the "Guanabana group" within Annona genus. In February (when it ripen), I will be looking for seller of this seeds.

D. lanceolata fruit  is certainly impressive. The fruits of many Duguetias are very beautiful, but they have little to eat. With one exception - D. furfuracea (as they say  :)).

A. purpurea (Soncoya) seeds here: http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/
I bought A. diversifolia (Ilama) seeds here: http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistforeign.html
Someone else was selling them a forum about a month ago.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
I might get A. neosalicifolia seeds in the future... Certainty worth growing.

That is Luc. He got a good varieties from both species (ilama and Soncoya)

Thank you for your input Alex. You seems to be a very knowledgeable guy in the Annona family and good luck in growing them.
Moh'd

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 11:27:24 PM »
I might get A. neosalicifolia seeds in the future... Certainty worth growing.

That is Luc. He got a good varieties from both species (ilama and Soncoya)

Thank you for your input Alex. You seems to be a very knowledgeable guy in the Annona family and good luck in growing them.

Exactly! Luke is a good source, one of the best experts in Tropical Fruits.

I had the pleasure to chat on facebook with the competent Brazilian expert Antonio, he is best described A. salzmannii:
http://www.fruitipedia.com/beach_sugarapple%20Annona%20salmannii.htm
Tarciso Leão and Alex Popovkin did great photos:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=annona+salzmannii
In my opinion A. salzmannii is an interesting specie for cultivation and will not grow as much as in the woods/forest, where it is forced to compete for sunlight with its neighbors.

Thanks for the kind words and also good luck with Annonas.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
my buddy grafted dioica onto reticulata...so far so good...it's out of the bag, but hasn't leafed out yet.

next spring we will try more grafts and rootstocks (atemoya, pond apple, cherimoya)

I tried defoliating a scion and grafting onto atemoya about 2 month ago...and it failed.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
Adam,
You are our only hope of  Annona dioica seeds!  :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
Alex,

don't forget Miguel!

he has a specimen that set fruit in Portugal.

I think one of my plants should flower next year...but they're only about 2yrs old now.

It would be nice if the fruit is decent...the plant seems very easy to grow in a pot...and it's a very tough plant...it can handle hot, cold, acid, alkaline, drought, shade, full sun.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »
Thanks! I remember about Miguel. However, he grows Annona tomentosa. I believe that it is very close to Annona dioica, but not the same.

A man who has raised fruit A. cornifolia and R. emarginata, inspires confidence and hope for further results! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk