Author Topic: Paw Paw questions.  (Read 3257 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Paw Paw questions.
« on: June 18, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
I'm very excited to try my hands at this, got a few questions:

[1] Is container planting even a feasible option?
[2] I've read that for some fruit trees, planting 2 or 3 in the same large hole is OK. How about for paw paw?
[3] My soil is clay, should I make a mound/raised bed?

Thanks!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Paw Paw questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Awesome!

I wish I had direct experience to be able to give you better advice. However, all I can do is offer what i've read or heard:

1) I have heard of folks, specifically in California, growing pawpaws in pots. I think most rules around growing trees in pots would apply to pawpaws. Namely, you might want some kind of root-pruning setup, either air-pruning or using a coating like Microkote. Also, pawpaws have a strong taproot and in nurseries are most commonly grown in 14-inch deep pots (though some like Forest Keeling use air-pruning pots for a shallow taproot). Just something to be aware of. Hale and Hines nursery here in Tennessee sells really really big containerized pawpaws, and I believe theirs fruit with no problems. However, pawpaws are generally not mentioned in context of container growing.

2) I think you would be fine to plant 2 in a large hole. I have read references to this with pawpaws. In the wild, they grow in pretty dense patches.

3) I have been advised that mounds are not ideal for pawpaws, but who knows. As for clay, most sources say pawpaws like a looser soil with lots of organic matter (don't amend the planting hole of course). But that's probably just something that gets copied and pasted. I have some clay (not sure how it would rank on a clay "scale") and the trees i planted a few months ago seem ok. Of course, it's very early.

Not a lot of authoritative info there but maybe something to chew on. Good luck!

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
Thanks Triloba Tracker,
Much appreciated!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Thanks Triloba Tracker,
Much appreciated!

Sure thing! 2 cents, worth every bit of what you paid fer 'em.

I would say of course, one of your issues in Zone 10 may be chill hours. If memory serves, most sources say 400 hours minimum for pawpaw.
I'm not convinced the tree itself needs it, but for fruit it probably does.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »
Triloba Tracker,

I looked at the chill hour chart here:
http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/Weather_Services/chilling_accumulation_models/Chill_Calculators/

My area (Kern County) has above 800. I'm more worried about the hot dry wind. I'll plant them in a sheltered area.

Thanks,

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 05:57:10 PM »
Triloba Tracker,

I looked at the chill hour chart here:
http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/Weather_Services/chilling_accumulation_models/Chill_Calculators/

My area (Kern County) has above 800. I'm more worried about the hot dry wind. I'll plant them in a sheltered area.

Thanks,

Gotcha!

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
As to your clay question...the paw paws I have been growing are growing in 6 to 20 inches of top soil, before hitting a thick layer of clay that stays clay for as deep as any tree will grow.  In my experience so far the paw paws planted in only 6 inches of top soil before hitting clay will survive, but they are not happy....anything with 12inches or more seems to be doing pretty well.  I would also say the the trees planted at the top edge of a hill/bank seem to be especially happy, perhaps because of better drainage or access to more top soil by seeding roots down the side of the hill? not sure at this point...but I agree with what has been said earlier, I wouldn't put them in man made mounds...but if you have a hill or a ravine it might be worth trying them at the top edge as long as other growing conditions seem good
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:33:53 AM by coyote »

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 01:35:27 AM »
Tried growing them in a container in AZ.  I highly recommend planting them in the ground

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »
Paw naturally grow on fertile soil along edges river and creeks and in flood planes in the woods. They like drainage and plenty of water. I've seen them and gathered fruit from the wild here in the mountains of NC along sides of creeks in flat areas where creek is about 3 to 5 feet below edge of the flood plain. These grow to be high trees with rather large trunks. They don't like their roots damaged at time of planting and need a long tap root to form before seedling will break surface of soil, hence usually grown from seed in tall pots. My trees are planted on top of a mountain in NC in deep sandy yet black soil with good drainage on a gradual slope, which is not their native habitat; they are found wild in the valley along side river/ creek with better access to water, not on mountain top. Therefore, I make sure to mix plenty of compost into planting site and mulch around trees with homemade shredded leaf/tree matter to help promote moist soil. They don't start to bloom until about 5 feet tall in ground. I wouldn't expect great results over the long term in a pot.  Paw paws are wonderful and strange native trees that unlike other domesticated fruit trees have picky root systems initially, but once established in ground, can withstand some drought and don't need pruning or spraying with insecticide and are pretty much unmolested by deer and bear predation up until harvest, unlike apples and pears and drupes.