Author Topic: Giant citron  (Read 2196 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Giant citron
« on: April 22, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »
This was grown from seed:

Giant Yemenite Etrog citron probably produces the largest citrus fruits, they can get even bigger than a pomelo.

The inside of the fruits are mostly all pith though (with some seeds), very little to no juice pulp.
This cultivar is a pure species variety of citron, not a hybrid.

From pictures I have seen, the fruit size can get as big as an adult head.

( Banpeiyu is another Japanese pomelo variety that can produce very large fruits, as big as a child's head, but the fruits of Giant citron can get even bigger, even if not consistently so)

It has been a very fast grower.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Giant citron
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 04:15:59 PM »
It's hard to find good pictures showing how big the fruits can get, but here are a few pulled off the internet:

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »
Actually,  researchers from University of California, Riverside (UCR), Department of Botany and Plant Sciences, United States; and United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS)
for the Chinese Citron Germplasm Project  travelled around Yunnan and other provinces of China, observing both cultivated and wild citrons,  collected information about germplasm, horticultural practices, and economic uses, as well as cuttings and seeds, which were used to establish a germplasm collection with 30 accessions in Jianshui, Yunnan Yunnan, China.
Xulan Huc and  David Karpa found specimen ‘Ninger Giant’ citron, the fruit weights about 15 kg ,making it the largest known citrus fruit.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:39:40 AM »
We already spoke of this one, but it a lemon, not a citron.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/11/lots-of-lemon-at-the-land-epcot-living-laboratory-harvests-lemon-that-weighs-15-pounds/

I wrote about Ninger Giant citron, it is citrus medica from Ning'er, province Yunnan and the weight is 15 kg (not 15 pounds).

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »
Also known as the "Nine pound lemon". Look like budwood may become available, but is it from the same source?

https://ccppdms.ucr.edu/ccppdms/upcoming_varieties

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Also known as the "Nine pound lemon". Look like budwood may become available, but is it from the same source?

https://ccppdms.ucr.edu/ccppdms/upcoming_varieties

Nine Pound Lemon is well known cultivar, sold by nurseries around the world.
http://idtools.org/id/citrus/citrusid/factsheet.php?name=Nine+Pounder
Buti it has nothing to do with Yemenite Etrog citron from SoCal2 posts and  Ninger Giant citron from my post.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »
I was refering to Sylvain's post.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 05:27:29 PM »
I'm going to be trying to make some crosses between Ichang papeda and Giant citron. Hopefully there should be some hybrids that show up in the F2 generation that show a very high level of hardiness, maybe on the level of Yuzu.

have some cuttings of both but it will be a long time until they reach fruiting stage

Citrons are not very cold tolerant, even less than regular lemons. The only ones more sensitive to cold than citrons are limes.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
 I bought a citrus from a stall with 12 pound citrus fruit in Amalfi, Italy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNWiUur3_dE

The vendor insisted they are citrons (cedro). However, other vendors in the area insisted that the Cedro are the smaller (haha, 1-4 pound) warty, elongated pointy bright or dark yellow fruit while the type of fruit i bought (up  to 12 pounds, pale yellow, stocky and usually of irregular shape) are a lemon - citron hybrid.

Who is right?  In the area there is an incredible diversity of lemon-like citrus.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
I bought a citrus from a stall with 12 pound citrus fruit in Amalfi, Italy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNWiUur3_dE

The vendor insisted they are citrons (cedro). However, other vendors in the area insisted that the Cedro are the smaller (haha, 1-4 pound) warty, elongated pointy bright or dark yellow fruit while the type of fruit i bought (up  to 12 pounds, pale yellow, stocky and usually of irregular shape) are a lemon - citron hybrid.

Who is right?  In the area there is an incredible diversity of lemon-like citrus.

As you can see it has winged petioles, so it is not lemon, nor citron (cedro). It is hybrid with something. Tintori nursery sells it as C. limon Amalphitanum ornamentale, "Ornamental lemon from Amalfi".

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 04:20:07 AM »
Could it be a hybrid with grapefruit or pomelo?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 05:27:39 AM »
Could it be a hybrid with grapefruit or pomelo?

It is possible, one popular  cedzomelo (citrus medica x citrus maxima) is Ponderosa lemon.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 07:14:40 AM »
This is not a citron because the leave is articulated and it cannot be a citron-lemon hybrid because the petiole is winged.