Author Topic: Question about mango tree trimming , is it against the law? PLEASE HELP  (Read 7002 times)

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
I live in Broward county fl; I was trimming my mango tree on my property today and code enforcement came by and told me to stop trimming or they were going to fine me and place a lien on my hose, they said I need to have a arborist trim it, now I have been trimming my tree for 25 pls years, is this really true I'm not allowed to trim my own trees in my own yard? Seems like it can't be true,please help I don't wanna spend $500.00 to trim a tree I can do myself!
As always thank you for you input!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:09:57 PM by FRUITBOXHERO »
Joe

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Question about mango tree trimming , is it against the law? PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »
Sounds like BS to me. I trim our trees frequently (also in Springs) and have never had an issue. Coral Springs is not great at making its ordinances public though, so who knows... either way, it will be a cold day in he'll when the city tells me how or who can cut my trees.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
A quick Google search suggests that only paid/contracted tree trimming services are affected by Broward County's licensing ordinance.  I'm not 100% sure, though, so contact your county and ask to read the specific ordinance. 

I found this:

http://pompanobeachfl.gov/pages/department_directory/development_services/urban_forestry_division/pdfs/downloads/Broward%20County%20Tree%20Trimmer%20Enforcement%20Brochure.pdf

Read the "Whom does the Ordinance Affect?" section.

In any event, it seems that the tree trimming companies have some county politicians in their pocket.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
The last paragraph here, suggests that you can as long as you do it properly.

http://www.broward.org/PermittingAndLicensing/Licensing/Engineering/Pages/ProperTreeCare.aspx

Maybe code enforcement thought you were a un-licensed tree trimming service.
Or they cannot tell the difference between a mango tree and a mangrove tree (which usually requires licensed pro to trim).

DM

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:46 PM »
Yikes. Yah, that doesn't sound right. If you are in the business of trimming trees, then you must have a license and abide by the regs. But, as a homeowner, I'm pretty sure that one can trim their own trees. If the tree dies, then they can make you pay a fine or replant, but I've never heard of the requirement that one use an aborist.

I would ask for the specific section of the code of ordinances. You can view Coral Springs code of ordinances here: https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10537 .

You must live in a nicer 'hood. The middle class / upper middle class folks seem to be quite a bit nosier than in blue collar 'hoods like where I live. We've done some pretty eccentric stuff in our yard (ie, stuff that's technically against code :-), and we've yet to have a run in with code compliance. It all depends on how nosy your neighbors are. The blue collar folks are busy working and don't have time for petty stuff like monitoring what their neighbors are doing in their garden. You must have a neigbor with too much free time on their hands.

I read about a lady (in Weston I believe) who was told that she was not allowed to have a raised vegetable garden in her backyard. Unless you live in a fruit-friendly area like Davie, the nicer hoods can really put a hamper on one's freedom to garden responsibly.
Jeff  :-)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »
I live in Broward county fl; I was trimming my mango tree on my property today and code enforcement came by and told me to stop trimming or they were going to fine me and place a lien on my hose, they said I need to have a arborist trim it, now I have been trimming my tree for 25 pls years, is this really true I'm not allowed to trim my own trees in my own yard? Seems like it can't be true,please help I don't wanna spend $500.00 to trim a tree I can do myself!

The code enforcement guys in CS are idiots. I was cited last week for things like:

Overgrown lawn. I mow every Saturday, this idiot cited me on Friday after a week of heavy rains

Sprinkler pump exposed, needs a concealment. This pump has been on the side of my house since 1985. In order to see it you have to trespass and go into my yard

Trash cans not screened from view -- If I erect a screen, I will have to trespass on my neighbors property to put them away. Also they CAN NOT be seen from the street without trespassing on my neighbor's driveway.

Litter - I am mulching my front yard and every few days I bring home a few bags and set them by my door. This clown wants me to bring them in the yard first? No way!

Foundation shrubs -  "Install foundation shrubs / ground cover across the foundation to hide the area where the foundation meets the ground." I refuse to cooperate, and WILL NOT INSTALL idiotic shrubs!

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS GESTAPO IDIOCY!!!! I'VE ASKED FOR A HEARING AND WILL BRING AN ATTORNEY AND SUE FOR MY RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND PURSUIT OF LIBERTY AND HAPPINESS!!!

ALL of my neighbors up and down my street have received similar code notices. We are planning on a group of us retaining legal counsel and starting a class action lawsuit if this does not cease and desist.

Hint to everyone here--- Do not move to Coral Springs. We have red light cameras, and more code enforcement WITHOUT a home owner's association than any condo or association I EVER lived in!

Flame off !! :-)

Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
I like the propaganda about not hat racking a tree and that it is illegal. I recently cut a tall mango tree way back mostly off  the top. I think I hat racked it....doh......not sure.

I will admit that not hat racking is a good idea for some trees.
For FBHERO....call code enforcement on Monday and ask. What you were told must be wrong. Must be a newbie code officer. Where I live they are in church Sunday.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »

The code enforcement guys in CS are idiots. I was cited last week for things like:

Overgrown lawn. I mow every Saturday, this idiot cited me on Friday after a week of heavy rains

Sprinkler pump exposed, needs a concealment. This pump has been on the side of my house since 1985. In order to see it you have to trespass and go into my yard

Trash cans not screened from view -- If I erect a screen, I will have to trespass on my neighbors property to put them away. Also they CAN NOT be seen from the street without trespassing on my neighbor's driveway.

Litter - I am mulching my front yard and every few days I bring home a few bags and set them by my door. This clown wants me to bring them in the yard first? No way!

Foundation shrubs -  "Install foundation shrubs / ground cover across the foundation to hide the area where the foundation meets the ground." I refuse to cooperate, and WILL NOT INSTALL idiotic shrubs!

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS GESTAPO IDIOCY!!!! I'VE ASKED FOR A HEARING AND WILL BRING AN ATTORNEY AND SUE FOR MY RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND PURSUIT OF LIBERTY AND HAPPINESS!!!

ALL of my neighbors up and down my street have received similar code notices. We are planning on a group of us retaining legal counsel and starting a class action lawsuit if this does not cease and desist.

Hint to everyone here--- Do not move to Coral Springs. We have red light cameras, and more code enforcement WITHOUT a home owner's association than any condo or association I EVER lived in!

Flame off !! :-)

I would do the same thing. Hope you and your neighbors kick their ass in court. :) And, yes, thanks for the warning about Commie Springs. ;) 
Alexi

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
I like the propaganda about not hat racking a tree and that it is illegal. I recently cut a tall mango tree way back mostly off  the top. I think I hat racked it....doh......not sure.

I will admit that not hat racking is a good idea for some trees.
For FBHERO....call code enforcement on Monday and ask. What you were told must be wrong. Must be a newbie code officer. Where I live they are in church Sunday.

They're not "Officers" they're volunteers

"I would do the same thing. Hope you and your neighbors kick their ass in court. :) And, yes, thanks for the warning about Commie Springs. "

I like the Commie Springs bit.
Regards,

Gary

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
haha commie springs...lol
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
It's in my front yard, she was driving by and stopped asked me if I was the home owner and I said yes she then told me I can not trim my own trees and would come me if I didn't stop! She then took a pic of my tree and told me if she sees it's been trimmed I would have to show her a receipt from a arborist or be fined and a possible lien on my property.... and the. I find out she also told my neighbor he could not trim his own ficus hedge? What the hell is going on here I have lived in Coral Springs for 40 + years and never had these problems! Although I did get a notice to pressure clean my driveway after I did it 10 days before, took 2 months to clear that up! I love city code enforcement!
Joe

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
This is insane, do we not live in the United States of America where the right to property and to with it as you see fit (so long as it does not infringe on others right to do the same) is an inviolable right? Screw them. Thats what I like about have my grove in the farming area, no one can be bothered to give a damn what you are doing!
- David Antonio Garcia

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »
It's called Totalitarianism.   

No one can truly own any property unless they are of the few who are too big for anyone to dare to bother them.  And no one can work for hire unless they have paid Protection.
Har

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
I'm sure it is the commercial tree trimming businesses that convinced the county to make it hard for people to use unlicensed landscaping services 'for their own good'.

Related:  When I lived in Texas, there was a state law passed stating that only licensed pest control professionals could remove honey bees from walls of houses.  Beekeepers were not allowed to remove the bees!   That law was changed two years later after the beekeepers got their sh*t together and lobbied against it.

Also in Texas, plumbing companies convinced some counties to pass laws that all fire sprinkler systems needed to 'backflow tested' every year.  So every year in my county every townhouse, condo and apartment owner has to hire a plumber at approximately $70 to have this done.  It's a 15 minute rip off.

Politicians are being bought.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 12:37:57 AM »
When elections are pushed as horse races, for dummies to vote for the projected winner, to feel that they are on the winning team, Totalitarianism wins--- and anyone else "threw their votes away" because they voted for someone who couldn't win.

Democrat / Republican collusion keeps other parties in "mere diversions" status.  Vote the bums out.

I vote for Libertarians or Reformers or Greens any chance I get.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
Yikes. I'm glad I don't live in coral springs. It's a nice place, but that's some serious big brother.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
wow, code rangers? is they like blade runners or something? http://www.coralsprings.org/code/coderangers.cfm?CFID=9064617&CFTOKEN=52679370

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »

Code rangers are volunteers and not city staff; they can ask you to do something but cannot issue a citation. I live in Coral Springs, trim my trees as well and I don't think it is against the law.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Code rangers have a personal incentive to come down on lawn, shrub and fruit tree dissidents. They see their home prices going up and they think your yard is detracting from this. They have more interest in a conventionally landscaped Coral Springs than our refusenik forum members.

If you want to push these so called "code rangers" buttons start bragging about how you actually are a good neighbor because you have been diligent about trapping and killing rats attacking your fruit trees.  Rats is the magic word. Tell them that so far you have bagged 40 this summer.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:07:27 PM by zands »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
Just listening to this from 3,000 miles away, I am appalled at these kinds of codes
and restrictions on homeowners. Jeez, I hope our city doesn't catch wind of this
kind of thing..........

Feel for you guys...and good luck with the lawsuit. Hope you overturn that ridiculous
ordinance!!!!

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
I'm sorry you had to go through that. You may want to make a big deal out of this by calling newspapers and other media to let them know about the ridiculous nature of your warning. You may want to talk to your neighbors and gather up steam and more support so that you have a strong foundation that can resist any possible backlash from authorities whom may or may not be on your side. Something doesn't seem right here.  I hope you fight this all the way!
Simon

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
I read about this not to long ago, funny how you'll here about something for the first time and then a real life example will come about.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1985-07-09/news/8501270920_1_code-violations-code-enforcement-board-enforcement-officer
- David Antonio Garcia

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
- David Antonio Garcia

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »
Sounds like a fun place to live  :(

In Holland we are not allowed to prune/cut our own tree's in the frontyard when they are taller then 3 metres because then they belong to the city counsils. The big tree's make the view of a street and they want to protect that. So we cut the tree's before they reach that hight or we can never cut them anymore, not even by a gardener.

It's strange that only a real gardener is allowed to cut them and not the owner, what makes the gardener so special? Did they go to study for their jobs at a university or so?

I just cut my pet pakchong, passionfruit, plumeria (here in Thailand) and throw the tree's on the street so the gardeners will pick them up for free. Love that! We have about 20 private gardeners who will do anything if you ask them. We also have rules like no plantpots on the pavement but nobody obeys those rules included myself and then nothing happens. ;D