Author Topic: Florida persimmons  (Read 3657 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Florida persimmons
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
I recently bought a persimmon tree from a farm stand retailer and it was labeled Florida Persimmon. Can anyone share any experience with this variety, I assume it is the astringent variety.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Florida persimmons
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
I know 2 places where there are native persimmons growing. Usually the fruit is small and very astringent if there is any,
I thought the only use was for rootstock? I would get more information from the seller. Florida persimmon
is too broad?

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
The seller was a nursery that sells a lot of fruit trees and has a large fruit and veggie stand along side. I will call today.

tanfenton

• United States, FL, Palm City, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »
I know 2 places where there are native persimmons growing. Usually the fruit is small and very astringent if there is any,
I thought the only use was for rootstock? I would get more information from the seller. Florida persimmon
is too broad?

Do you have the ability to describe where these trees are? I'm currently looking for regional D. virginiana for use as rootstock for cultivated D. kaki and am in need of seeds.

All the best,
Nathaniel

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
Perhaps the "South Florida Persimmon"?  If so, it is astringent.  Non-astringent varieties tend not to fruit as much as astringent in hot climates.  SF Persimmon was originally called the Hudson and came from a backyard of a house in Tallahassee.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
One place is a couple trees in an orange grove where my son and I fish, I would have to take you there.
The other place is in Lehigh Acres off Joel Blvd. Those trees are ever expanding their range and there must be over
20 trees. In the past there have been small seedlings which could be dug up easily. Joel Blvd is a fairly large Rd off SR 80 and
runs through Lehigh. It has a SR # but I don't recall it. The fruit won't be ready for several months. I can check it more
closely on my next trip through?

Mike

tanfenton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
One place is a couple trees in an orange grove where my son and I fish, I would have to take you there.
The other place is in Lehigh Acres off Joel Blvd. Those trees are ever expanding their range and there must be over
20 trees. In the past there have been small seedlings which could be dug up easily. Joel Blvd is a fairly large Rd off SR 80 and
runs through Lehigh. It has a SR # but I don't recall it. The fruit won't be ready for several months. I can check it more
closely on my next trip through?

Mike

Mike,

The pure stand of trees off SR 80 sounds very promising. When have you noticed ripe fruit on the ground in that area? I'd be very interested in making a pilgrimage to your coast to collect some drops but know it's bad foraging karma to reveal this sort of stuff in a public forum! I'll e-mail you if you let me know a time that visiting makes sense. :-)

Nathaniel

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
Ive seen trees along the Caloosahatchee River also

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
Well live and learn. I called Nelson Family Farms in Ft. pierce, a gentleman there knew the  question well, he said thy have no idea what it is and went on to say they wished the buyer would quit buying these, the same is true he went on to say with the papayas they get. He further added he thinks it is the non astring variety but could not be sure and I would have to wait and seek. Needless to say I am not happy and mad at myself to buying it and trusted them to sell a variety that does well here in PSL. Darn.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »
There is a new persimmon that Zill is grafting from a tree that Dr. Crane has. It is labeled South Florida Persimmon. I have a few I can take a picture of tomorrow. They are all sold. I do have other persimmons
Mike

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
Any1 know the taste of coffeecake variety?
And how does it compete with fuyu

tanfenton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »
There is a new persimmon that Zill is grafting from a tree that Dr. Crane has. It is labeled South Florida Persimmon. I have a few I can take a picture of tomorrow. They are all sold. I do have other persimmons

Mike,

Any idea of the relation (if any) to the cultivar of that same name that has been distributed for many years? (I have also, as a previous poster mentioned, seen the South Florida dubbed as formerly being the "Hudson" of North Florida. Buuuuuuut I have also heard of people using the name "South Florida" when referring to the cultivar "Triumph," which is grown quite productively by both Julian Lara and Bill Lessard down in the Redland. ZHPP propagated Triumph at one point in time. Do they have the two trees growing side-by-side anywhere for comparison's sake? Lots of ambiguity when it comes to low-chill, Florida-specific D. kaki cultivars!)

Nathaniel

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »

South Florida

Triumph

Fuyu

Mike

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »
I dont have the native persimmon with the small astringent fruit. There is a wild tree growing close to me that I am going to get the seed from. Maybe the fruit ripens in oct or nov . I dont know were Dr. Crane got his tree from. I have seen 15 gallon trees that Zill had loaded with fruit That is what started my new interest .
Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »

South Florida

Triumph

Fuyu

The leaves on all the South Florida variety look basically the same as most othe Hapanese types (Fuyu, Triumph, Hachiya, etc.).  I have seen the fruit on trees that were purchased.  Fruit size was snaller than a Fuyu.

I too have been informed that it was the same as Hudson by members here,  not by anyone at ZHPP...I have no evidence/priif confirming either way.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
I have two, one bought labelled "Winterset" which has been opined that it is not actually a winterset, and it's a shy bearer, and the fruit are long like the Cali persimmons and astringent when not VERY ripe.

The other was labelled a "South Florida" persimmon, and the fruit is small and round like a tomato and it too is astringent until very ripe. I have yet to taste a persimmon that was not astringent until ripening sufficiently.

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
I have two, one bought labelled "Winterset" which has been opined that it is not actually a winterset, and it's a shy bearer, and the fruit are long like the Cali persimmons and astringent when not VERY ripe.

The other was labelled a "South Florida" persimmon, and the fruit is small and round like a tomato and it too is astringent until very ripe. I have yet to taste a persimmon that was not astringent until ripening sufficiently.

The astringent tyoes are much sweeter and better flavored.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk