Author Topic: Need Help to ID This Cherimoya again  (Read 329 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Need Help to ID This Cherimoya again
« on: February 06, 2024, 04:18:09 PM »
Ok, I will ask again if anyone can help me ID this cherimoya tree and fruit. This is my oldest tree, got a small plant from a worker 25 yrs ago. The tree is super vigorous, has the largest leaves of any annona I have growing. I only found one photo of the fruit from 15 yrs ago. This tree requires hand pollination and I don't pollinate it so not much if any fruits grow on this tree. I'm using it as a strong rootstock tree to graft other varieties.

Here's the only fruit photo I have, and some photos of the leaves and branches.

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help to ID This Cherimoya again
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 10:49:02 AM »
Check this out. “In California a variety (originally from Tenerife, Canary Islands) with unusually large leaves has been listed by nurserymen under the name Annona macrocarpa.”
https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/CherimoyaPopenoe.htm

Anyone have pictures of a. macrocarpa? I assume yours is a seedling, perhaps of that variety.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 02:29:03 PM »
Thanks for this article. Yes, my variety could be the Annona macrocarpa. The person who gave me the plant said it was from his father's old tree that has good tasting fruits. He gave me the tree in a small pot in 1990s. My fruits do have the finger print pattern and the fruits do get from 1-2lbs. I should try to take some photos of the flowers and hand pollinate them this year to taste the fruits again.

Maybe I have a rare/scare cherimoya in my backyard and didn't even notice for 30 years.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 04:50:26 PM »
It's impressa type as you've noted, it could be Fino De Jete, but there are a number of popular impressa type cherimoyas around.

If you prune to create a denser canopy (opposite of what you do for prunus), you may have a higher incidence of self pollination. The key is to keep the humidity high so the female part of the flower doesn't dry out before the pollen is ready. You can spray the canopy with a hose or use foggers on a timer as well to try to increase the humidity.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 05:16:55 PM »
I prune the tree every year, doesn't help, it needs to be hand pollinated for many fruits. For now, I have grafted many other named varieties and they grow fast and vigorous on this large rootstock tree. My yellow birula graft from last year is over 10 ft tall now with many branches. I'm grafting Brad's Dr. White on this tree now.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 02:50:25 AM »
Hey Kaz, I think that is just a regular A.cherimola.  Bays and Booth were impressa types that were often available in the supermarkets some 30+ years ago however I never seen fruit that large like yours. But my Booth seedlings produce similiar size leaves.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 03:39:25 AM »
Based on the description, I think Eggo is correct. I have a Booth and it fits all the same description except fruit. BUT, when I bought the tree at Clausen nursery 5-6 years ago, they showed my one of their large in ground trees that had huge fruit like your pictures. That's why I bought it!