Author Topic: How To Improve Jackfruit Pollination  (Read 5727 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
How To Improve Jackfruit Pollination
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:46 AM »

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:19:26 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: How To Improve Jackfruit Pollination
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:59:34 PM »
You can also just take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a bunch of holes so it drains and fill it with discarded fruits & peels and place under your tree. This will attract pollinators like crazy but not cats. This method is used by annona growers to help attract annona pollinators (Nitidulid beetles). It is not so necessary in Florida since we already live in the BUG capitol....     
FloridaGreenMan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:25:16 AM »
You can also just take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a bunch of holes so it drains and fill it with discarded fruits & peels and place under your tree. This will attract pollinators like crazy but not cats. This method is used by annona growers to help attract annona pollinators (Nitidulid beetles). It is not so necessary in Florida since we already live in the BUG capitol....     

Hi FloridaGreenMan
Those Nitidulid beetles also help to pollinate my Cherimoya trees, I have also found them in over ripe Guava's! But I don't know if they are the same as the Annona seed borer?

Thanks for the tip, I will try it  :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »

Hi FloridaGreenMan
Those Nitidulid beetles also help to pollinate my Cherimoya trees, I have also found them in over ripe Guava's! But I don't know if they are the same as the Annona seed borer?

Thanks for the tip, I will try it  :)

Nitiludids are very tiny beetles, almost the size of flea and they do not damage the fruit.  Annpna seed borer is the larvae of the Chalcid fly. The fly lays the eggs in the fruit and the larvae burrow into the seeds. They are totally different.       

FloridaGreenMan

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
I have seen someone run his fingers over the male flower, check to see pollen sticking on his fingers, then very lightly running his hand over a female flower.   I didn't check back to see if it actually worked.
Har

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
I have seen someone run his fingers over the male flower, check to see pollen sticking on his fingers, then very lightly running his hand over a female flower.   I didn't check back to see if it actually worked.

I have heard of this.  There were some older jakfruit breeders that used this method.  I think they called it, affectionately, a "hand job."  A very effective method....for those folks that are more "hands on"  in their approach.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
In general, I have heard of people using small paint brushes to help pollenate (instead of the finger method described). 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
In general, I have heard of people using small paint brushes to help pollenate (instead of the finger method described).

Yes. But you have to understand these are desperate guys!   ;) :D
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk