Author Topic: Unique Passion fruit vines that will grow well in southern California?  (Read 1567 times)

surftrunks

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
I already have a "Frederick" Passion fruit vine that is doing great in my yard. I want to add to the passion fruit collection with a couple other passion fruit variety's that are different from my current Frederick variety (different colored flowers, different colored fruit, sweeter fruit, larger fruit...........)

I'm wondering if there are some varieties that grow better in southern California that I should consider adding to my yard?
Can I put 3 or 4 different passion fruit vine varieties in a large 22inch diameter by 22in tall planter and have them all climb along a trellis on a wall and will they do ok?

Thank you

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Is your planter resting on soil... or on a paved area?
If soil... The passion flower roots will definitely seek out the soil through the drainage holes if they can.
To their advantage I would say.
Definitely plan to water them regularly either way. They should be fine with some extra attention.
That trellis will help you out too. Keeps the vine, flowers and fruits off the ground and better advertises the flowers for your Bee population.
Plus you will appreciate the aesthetic qualities of the blooms yourself!

Kevin Jones

Mistozy

• North San Diego County
    • View Profile
I have orange granadilla, yellow passionfruit, and Hawaiian likikoi in going in pots right now. They are not as rigorous as the typical passionfruit varieties, but they are growing. I want to see how they hold up during the hotter summer months coming up.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
The lilikois fo well during summer but get hit by the cold.  Im yanking both my yellow plants.  Obe was really large and made fruit but it was just not happy in winter and looks bad after winter. 
Brad Spaugh

Mistozy

• North San Diego County
    • View Profile
How cold does it get by you?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:42:54 PM by Mistozy »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
I think Barath did a nice Passiflora forum write up for CA ,if you do a forum search for passion fruits.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Theres no frost here, it gets to the mid 30s a few nights a year.  Very few hours under 40 this year.   Its not the absolute lows its the prolonged winter thats a problem. 
Brad Spaugh