Author Topic: What happens if you graft a high chill hour scion onto a low chill hour tree?  (Read 1122 times)

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Does anybody have any experience, especially in southern Florida with grafting a high chill hour scion onto a low chill hour tree/rootstock? Just curious if there is potential to get a say 200-400 chill hour fruit to produce if grafted onto a low 100ish chill hour requirement tree? Anybody who has tried any of these kind of experiments please share your experiences!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
There will be little or no change.

I have one apple tree grafted with several varieties and the low chill varieties start before the high chill varieties.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
I think all the chill biochemistry happens in the bud itself.
Shane

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
There will be little or no change.

I have one apple tree grafted with several varieties and the low chill varieties start before the high chill varieties.

I figured this was the case but have seen mentions of some trees having reduced the chill hours necessary for the higher chill hour cultivars

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
I think all the chill biochemistry happens in the bud itself.

I think so as well, was hoping there could be some kind of symbiosis that would help to reduce the chill needed since it gets the energy from the tree it was grafted to