Author Topic: Decaisnea fargesii in zone 9b?  (Read 1416 times)

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
Decaisnea fargesii in zone 9b?
« on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:59 AM »
Does anyone know if it can successfully grow Decaisnea fargesii (dead mans fingers) in zone 9b (soil pH 7-7.5)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Decaisnea fargesii in zone 9b?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 06:26:42 AM »
You could try but a better related plant its the Lardizabala from Chile.
Zabala its amazing because it mimics the leaves of the trees it grows and even mimics artificial plants leaves.
Its not iet understud how does it sees the leaves that she mimics.
The fruit looks like a pawpaw and its said to be of good quality,better than dead mans fingers.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:31:17 AM »
Zabala its amazing because it mimics the leaves of the trees it grows and even mimics artificial plants leaves.
The fruit looks like a pawpaw and its said to be of good quality,better than dead mans fingers.

That sounds really interesting but i think it will be hard to find it! I am asking for dead mans fingers and amelancier because i found them in a local nursery that is open despite covid19.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 06:48:01 AM »
Your right it will be hard to find Lardizabala viable seeds.
I have no experience with amelanchier and dead mans fingers.
Dead mans fingers looks like a curiosity collector plant rather than an usefull fruit tree.
I got an Akebia wich is related to dead mans fingers and i consider it a curiosity also,not an usefull fruit.
If you can find at the nursery and if they do well in your area i reccomend the mini kiwi ,,Issai,, or ,,dr Szymanovsky,,.These are good fruits available for cheap at supermarket seedling place this time of year.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
Your right it will be hard to find Lardizabala viable seeds.
I have no experience with amelanchier and dead mans fingers.
Dead mans fingers looks like a curiosity collector plant rather than an usefull fruit tree.
I got an Akebia wich is related to dead mans fingers and i consider it a curiosity also,not an usefull fruit.
If you can find at the nursery and if they do well in your area i reccomend the mini kiwi ,,Issai,, or ,,dr Szymanovsky,,.These are good fruits available for cheap at supermarket seedling place this time of year.

I have the mini kiwi issai 2 years and last year it managed to grow some feet. Also i bought last fall 2 akebia plants that seem to do fine (the only thing thag troubles me is that the new buds/leaves are completely white while emerging now the are purple/white, is that normal? )
I know dead mans fingers is a curiosity plant but i really want to have even barely edible plants in my garden

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:56:54 AM »

Are you sure Zabala has the mimicry properties? because i found that Boquila trifoliolata another species of the same family has that property. It is from the same region but a different plant

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »

Are you sure Zabala has the mimicry properties? because i found that Boquila trifoliolata another species of the same family has that property. It is from the same region but a different plant
Your right .Its Boquilla but has a synonim as Lardizabala trifoliata.
I think one its more cold hardy than the otther.
Its been a while since i studyed the flora of Patagonia.
If you get plants from Patagonia ,check if they are resistant to drought and heat.The more cold hardy they are ,the more they hate drought and summer heat.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:14 AM »

Your right .Its Boquilla but has a synonim as Lardizabala trifoliata.
I think one its more cold hardy than the otther.
Its been a while since i studyed the flora of Patagonia.
If you get plants from Patagonia ,check if they are resistant to drought and heat.The more cold hardy they are ,the more they hate drought and summer heat.

thankfully i have enough space near the pawpaws that i can put similar climate plants

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
I would recommend the Amelanchier - they go by many names here, like Juneberry and Serviceberry.

The ones i've eaten have been surprisingly good for a relatively unknown fruiting shrub. I might grow some eventually but for now i eat a few every year from bushes growing in a parking lot nearby.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
I would recommend the Amelanchier - they go by many names here, like Juneberry and Serviceberry.

The ones i've eaten have been surprisingly good for a relatively unknown fruiting shrub. I might grow some eventually but for now i eat a few every year from bushes growing in a parking lot nearby.

To be more specific the variety the nursery claims to have is
Amelanchier alnifolia 'Northline', if you know anything about it.
I was thinking of getting both since the dead mans fingers is very rare to find here

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »
I’ve not heard of that variety but that’s not saying much.

Regent is the most common variety sold here for fruit (many varieties are sold as ornamentals)