Author Topic: What's this atemoya? Big but not Mammoth  (Read 2732 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
What's this atemoya? Big but not Mammoth
« on: May 26, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »

I have been seeing this large knobbly variety of atemoya in the markets lately and have tries it.It has few seeds unlike AP and Gefner and it sweeter and better quality than those. This one is well over 2kg and they get at least double that size with 1kg to around 3kg seeming to be pretty standard. Pink's Mammoths do get much larger but those in the markets are not the whoppers and Pink's Mammoth is mis-shapen and almost flakey inside such as in the broken apart one below and an intact one on the scale.

Could this be a new child of Pink's Mammoth or does someone recognise its variety? Maybe it is just new to my area.When I chop it open I will post a pic.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What's this atemoya? Big but not Mammoth
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 01:37:40 AM »
That looks very similar to what is known here simply as Jumbo AP which is very much bigger than normal AP as seen on the photos below and its flesh is also much chewier than that of AP or Gefner.

Thera

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 01:46:29 AM »
Keen to see a pic of the inside Mike. I would have thought mammoth or one of its relatives/sports. If they are all regular shape though, odd.

Kinda does look like the jumbo AP posted by KH above. It may just be me, but I see a lot less AP in shops now days and if that variety is chewier, and tastes the same as regular AP, then I’m guessing that’s not it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:54:32 AM by Ulfr »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 02:10:23 AM »
Heya Thera that is similar alright although in your one the top is not so flattened and the scalloping on the bumps is a bit different. That could just be cosmetic with a bit of 'phenotypic plasticity' going on. It seems different from AP's I see here but maybe it is my imagination thinking it taste better.
 Ulfr yes it is more regular than PM being an acorn shape. AP's and Gefners are just not around as much any more but still are in the nurseries. They are small and firm and look better than mammoths but mammoths, PP's and Hillary White's seem to have struck and knocked out the competition. Tropics sun is just a back yard tree and Late gold is creeping into the markets.
There is a considerable volume exported to Asia fro SEQ and NE,NSW and they prefer the mammoth and its progeny like PP and HW.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 02:52:15 AM »
Good info Mike. I too grow and am a mammoth fan and have a tropic sun here too.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 03:13:39 AM »
KJ Pinks?
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »
That looks very similar to what is known here simply as Jumbo AP which is very much bigger than normal AP as seen on the photos below and its flesh is also much chewier than that of AP or Gefner.

Quite frankly, I see them different if you look carefully at structure of scales and form of the rows and the hole shape of the fruit there is not much similarities...
El verde es vida!

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
So, Mike, any tasting report on this one?
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 03:20:12 AM »

It is what's inside that counts.
Firm and not flakey flesh with more seeds than Pinks Mammoth and clan but fewer than AP. There is little grit towards the skin but a little in the veneer inside seed containing capsules.
And the taste? The flesh is smooth on the palate and chewy in a pleasant way, yielding easily. The taste is pleasantly sweet without a complex aftertaste and it has a classic atemoya taste.
The verdict? It is a winner with an abundance nice flesh.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 08:31:26 PM »
Thanks for the taste report, Mike. Looks like you guys have come up with yet another winner.
BTW, the grittiness around the seeds seems to be what I'm seeing often here with our APs and variants.

Looking forward to reading about other "new" varieties of superior annonas from Down Under, Mike.
Thera

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »

I have been seeing this large knobbly variety of atemoya in the markets lately and have tries it.It has few seeds unlike AP and Gefner and it sweeter and better quality than those. This one is well over 2kg and they get at least double that size with 1kg to around 3kg seeming to be pretty standard. Pink's Mammoths do get much larger but those in the markets are not the whoppers and Pink's Mammoth is mis-shapen and almost flakey inside such as in the broken apart one below and an intact one on the scale.

Could this be a new child of Pink's Mammoth or does someone recognise its variety? Maybe it is just new to my area.When I chop it open I will post a pic.

Hello Mike

I like sugar appgle. but it has too much seeds...

If  Pink's Mammoths has little seeds. and If you have seeds. Can i buy some?