Author Topic: Mulberries any good?  (Read 1219 times)

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
Mulberries any good?
« on: June 29, 2020, 12:57:44 AM »
We had a tree spring up, and just let it grow without knowing what it was. I think this year was the first year it fruited, and I seriously didn’t recognize this fruit at all.

Doing some research, I’m pretty sure it’s a variety of white mulberry. Though the amount of fruit produced is pretty small, I tasted one, and it was alright.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good? And maybe do they produce more fruit in later years? Thanks.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberries any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »
Mulberries are a reasonably popular fruit among fruit enthusiasts.
There are many selected/named varieties of mulberries out there for sale, etc.

Wild white American mulberries, however, are not generally considered a desirable fruit tree to my knowledge.
(white mulberries, I think of different species/variety are, however, grown in Turkey for dried fruit production and are fabulous in my opinion)

If it were me, I would graft a dwarf mulberry variety onto it, such as Gerardi Dwarf. Wild mulberry trees get huge.

to your other question, yes It will produce more fruit as it gets older.

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:32:26 PM »
Mulberries are a reasonably popular fruit among fruit enthusiasts.
There are many selected/named varieties of mulberries out there for sale, etc.

Wild white American mulberries, however, are not generally considered a desirable fruit tree to my knowledge.
(white mulberries, I think of different species/variety are, however, grown in Turkey for dried fruit production and are fabulous in my opinion)

If it were me, I would graft a dwarf mulberry variety onto it, such as Gerardi Dwarf. Wild mulberry trees get huge.

to your other question, yes It will produce more fruit as it gets older.

Alright. That’s really helpful. I’ll have to look into grafting. Thank you!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
I'm just now seeing your picture.....that is not a white mulberry, at least not the ones we have around here.

Looks like a red mulberry, which when the fruits turn blue/black, can be pretty tasty, depending on genetics.

Still if you can get some scions of improved varieties, you could graft it.

Juicebox_J

• USA, Utah, Ogden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
I'm just now seeing your picture.....that is not a white mulberry, at least not the ones we have around here.

Looks like a red mulberry, which when the fruits turn blue/black, can be pretty tasty, depending on genetics.

Still if you can get some scions of improved varieties, you could graft it.

Hm. That’s just what the app I used to classify it told me, but I was confused in a similar way.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
I cannot verify that it is the true variety (tice) advertised as I just purchased, but I did receive ten (10) healthy cuttings last week for $15.00 total including shipping.  I put rooting hormone on them and put them in a pot in shade and all 10 are starting to leaf out now.  They may or may not be rooting.  The link for the cutting is as follows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tice-Mulberry-Cuttings-10-Scions-for-Grafting-or-Rooting/193543767691?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:11:43 PM by countryboy1981 »