Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283553 times)

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #825 on: July 09, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »

Satya,

I got an Orange  Essence mango from my tree yesterday. Outstanding mango. I have it grafted onto three trees now :) If space is limited, you might want to go with Honey Kiss. OE is medium vigor but from what I have seen, doesn't stay small.

Keep in mind when you topwork onto an established tree the growth habit if the topworked variety tends to be different (usually more vigorous) than if started from a nursery grafted tree.  For prime examples, look at the towering sizes of the Honey Kiss and Pickering at Walter Zill's.

Would a nursery grafted Orange Essence grow slow and stay small, like Honey Kiss or Pickering? Pickering seems to grow faster than HK in my yard.  Is that unusual?

Yes OE bought at 3g from Zill’s and eventually uppotted to 7g has grown almost like a bonsai so far, thick trunk with low branching but who knows may take off and grow vigorously any day soon, but so far it is behaving like it wants to be a compact tree.
I need Carla scions now, i have a branch of Fruit Punch that can be converted. Does anyone know about the origin of the name Carla for this mango? I would have named it Sweet sensation :)
Satya

clllocke

• Los Angeles 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 09, 2020, 04:33:52 PM »
I'm not a prolific mango taster, I've only tasted probably 20 different cultivars in my life, but I wanted to share some thoughts on a brand new mango I tried that I'd never heard of before.

Deimos, from Richard Campbell's Mangomen Homestead.

I received it in a shipped box a few weeks back, and had no idea what to expect, but I was overpowered by a delicious, sweet, citrusy... extremely BRIGHT flavor -- I don't know how else to describe it.  It was neck-and-neck with Sweet Tart for the best mango in the box.

According to Mangomen, it's a Myatrynat seedling that they're evaluating, and very excited about.  If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend you try it out, if only so I can get your (likely more-experienced) opinions on the matter.

--Jake

Mangomen deliver to California!?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 09, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm not a prolific mango taster, I've only tasted probably 20 different cultivars in my life, but I wanted to share some thoughts on a brand new mango I tried that I'd never heard of before.

I received it in a shipped box a few weeks back, and had no idea what to expect, but I was overpowered by a delicious, sweet, citrusy... extremely BRIGHT flavor -- I don't know how else to describe it.  It was neck-and-neck with Sweet Tart for the best mango in the box.

According to Mangomen, it's a Myatrynat seedling that they're evaluating, and very excited about.  If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend you try it out, if only so I can get your (likely more-experienced) opinions on the matter.

--Jake

I didn't find Deimos on their Facebook.  Also, they didn't list Cecilove or Pina Colada for sale this year.  Their season has ended.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:42:08 PM by johnb51 »
John

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 18, 2020, 01:38:55 AM »
Wanted to share two wonderful Indian variety mangoes i tasted this week. The first was Bombay mango, a gift from forum member FLNative and it was my first time tasting this particular variety. The other one was Sonpari, a highly recommended Indian mango variety by Har.

Bombay had intense fruity aroma, almost akin to Glenn when i first got it and our car was smelling with this aroma as we drove from Delray Beach to our home. The mango though mentioned to have issues with powdery mildew didn't seem to be affected and the fruit as well was spotless, orange blush with yellow background color.

Inside was deep orange. The first one i had, had a uniform color , this one in picture had a deeper orange closer to seed.

This was an exceptional spicy flavor mango, and to me the taste trumped Kesar, Mallika , Suvarnarekha and Alphonso i have had so far. Closer to seed it had started to get too ripe and this tasted like a peach nectar to my wife, to me it tasted a bit medicinal in the over-ripe area. I guess it is peak flavor when not allowed to go over ripe and it can go overripe within a day after its ripe. Texture juicy and soft. No fiber except minimal close to skin. No uneven ripening. Overall extremely good tasting spicy flavor mango in my opinion.

Then next came Sonpari, again my first time tasting. It ripened over many days and turned to pale yellow color, even stayed in fridge for a few days while i returned from my out-of-state work....

And it was very sweet, could not get the spicy flavor until i reached the skin, did i let it go too ripe? but it had no over-ripe fermented flavor, no funky taste, but very sweet filling firm creamy texture. I could not compare the two, i felt Bombay had a better balance of sweetness and spicyness and Sonpari more candy tasting with no subacid flavor.

A video says way more than words, if you like visuals please watch the whole tasting here: https://youtu.be/wNaGkc1q3sc
Satya

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 11, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »
Providence mangos that look like freakin' footballs!  Large peach in comparison.  Full review to come.  (These came from my old house.  First year the tree had fruit.  Although allegedly Providence is very susceptible to MBBS, all the fruit was disease-free, super-clean, and some of the largest mangos I've ever seen.)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:45:02 PM by johnb51 »
John

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 13, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »

--Jake

Nope, unfortunately.  I was visiting family.
--Jake

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 25, 2020, 01:27:18 PM »
PROVIDENCE.  Classic Florida Mango flavor.  I tasted "canned fruit cocktail," in line with its Kent parentage. Much larger than Kent (Yes, that is a dinner plate!) with a stronger acidic or tart component.  Up to 3 lbs.  Fiberless except close to the very tough skin.  Resin flavor near the skin, but it wasn't piney. It reminded me of raisins or prunes.  Very juicy, and amply but not overpoweringly sweet.  The fruit was very clean with no sign of MBBS.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:36:06 PM by johnb51 »
John

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 25, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »

One of favorite fruit.

PROVIDENCE.  Classic Florida Mango flavor.  I tasted "canned fruit cocktail," in line with its Kent parentage. Much larger than Kent (Yes, that is a dinner plate!) with a stronger acidic or tart component.  Up to 3 lbs.  Fiberless except close to the very tough skin.  Resin flavor near the skin, but it wasn't piney. It reminded me of raisins or prunes.  Very juicy, and amply but not overpoweringly sweet.  The fruit was very clean with no sign of MBBS.

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 25, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »
Not a real review, but I just wanted to say I'm absolutely LOVING the Kent and Keitt mangoes currently available at my Costco.  Box of 6 costs $6.99.  Just serves to remind me that there's no such thing as a bad mango.

Except for Tommys -- you can burn them all down to the ground.
--Jake

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 25, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
So you're thinking I didn't really eat these mangos, Viraldonutz?  Elaborate.  Oh wait, never mind.  You were saying that YOU are not writing a real review, just making a comment.  My old brain froze up there!

Ok, let me tell you my Providence story.  My family--parents, sister, and I--first started eating mangoes way back in the 1970's when shipping from Mexico to L.A. became popular.  Out of Kent, Haden, Keitt, Irwin, and Tommy Atkins we thought that Kent was the best.  That's how I came to have an affinity for that flavor profile.  Fast forward to 2015 when Walter Zill introduced me to Providence in Boynton Beach.  I was favorably impressed by the Kent-like flavor so I planted a tree.  This is not a precocious variety and didn't produce any fruit until this year.  I had to beg the new owners of the house I sold in March for some of these mangos to sample, and they were generous enough to give me eight gigantic fruit--Kent on steroids!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:53:46 PM by johnb51 »
John

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »
So you're thinking I didn't really eat these mangos, Viraldonutz?  Elaborate.  Oh wait, never mind.  You were saying that you are not writing a review, just making a comment.  My old brain froze up there!
Haha, I would never impugn your posts, John! You do a wonderful job describing each mango you review -- I feel like I'm right there with you.  Keep it up!
--Jake

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 26, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »

Glad you were able to Atleast try the fruit sucks to leave behind a tree you saw grow and hadn’t fruited and when it finally did you sold your house. My providence is on the same boat Waiting for it to fruit maybe 3 years in ground so far  and nothing.

it’s and awesome fruit. It has a distinct note I always thought maybe it was the one people taste in Jakarta.
Which now  makes sense it’s similar to Kent as to it seems Kent is the parent of both Jakarta and providence Atleast according to diagram Someone posted the other day. Guess I should try some Kent mangos never have.

So you're thinking I didn't really eat these mangos, Viraldonutz?  Elaborate.  Oh wait, never mind.  You were saying that YOU are not writing a real review, just making a comment.  My old brain froze up there!

Ok, let me tell you my Providence story.  My family--parents, sister, and I--first started eating mangoes way back in the 1970's when shipping from Mexico to L.A. became popular.  Out of Kent, Haden, Keitt, Irwin, and Tommy Atkins we thought that Kent was the best.  That's how I came to have an affinity for that flavor profile.  Fast forward to 2015 when Walter Zill introduced me to Providence in Boynton Beach.  I was favorably impressed by the Kent-like flavor so I planted a tree.  This is not a precocious variety and didn't produce any fruit until this year.  I had to beg the new owners of the house I sold in March for some of these mangos to sample, and they were generous enough to give me eight gigantic fruit--Kent on steroids!

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Mango Reviews - 2020 FINALE
« Reply #837 on: September 03, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »
Probably the last mango tasting of this year...thanks to TonyinCC for offering to try this beautiful mango!...

The tree was compact looking, and there were still some more mangoes hanging on the tree last days of August, so it produced all the way into September. The ones we had were picked at different dates, one 2 weeks back and was in the fridge, and another one picked a week back. The one picked 2 weeks ago with slightly wrinkled skin and deep orange inside, was sweeter with a rich spicy complex flavor. My first bite reminded of Carrie without the medicinal taste some talk about; then, as i ate further, there was deeper rich spicy taste. All in all a good tasting mango. The less ripe one, or may for some be the ideal ripe one, was less sweet with faint coconut undertone and a bit funky taste at first that would disappear as the taste opened up.
There was some fiber close to the skin. The seed was small, so good flesh amount in a small sized mango. Size wise, actually, it was not as small as Honey kiss or Piña colada, all the mangoes hanging on the tree were size of an average Carrie mango, and Tony said some were as big and weighed as much as 1lb.

Little Gem i tasted in June did not have this complexity in flavor compared to the one I had end of August, so definitely the flavor peaks at the end of season.

To those who prefer visual/audio tasting reviews, here is one: https://youtu.be/akpOEkOKg8o

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 03, 2020, 06:22:02 PM »
Mango season just starting in SoCal these two were pick too early sweet but not full flavor as we are use to

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 25, 2020, 07:44:48 AM »
Sometimes is good to talk about failures as well as success. In one trail the following varieties were trialled with a view to diversifying the Australian market around 40 years ago.
Mango varieties: Akbar, Apple, Banana I, Batawi, Betti Amba, Beverly, Blue, Boribo, Brooks Late, Bullocks Heart, Carabao Harbon, Carabao Lamao, Carabao Los Banos, Carabao Mindanao, Carabao Super Manila, Coconut, Crimson Blush, Davis-Haden, Dot, Early Gold, Edward, Elephant Tusk, Fairchild, Fajri, Fascell, Florigon, Gail, Gary, Gedong, Golden Delight, Goldsworthy, Golek, Graham, Harumanis, Hatcher, Hingurakoka-Willard, Hong Sa, Hood, Indo-Chinese, Isis, Jacquelin, Jakarta, Jewel, Joe Welch, Julie, Kalapady, Keitt, Kent, Keow Savoey, Kopu Reva, Kuru, Laskarshikhan, Lippens, Maha 65, Malgoa Ramasamy, Manalagi, Mapulehu, Momi K, Nam Dok Mai, Nimrod, Ok Rong, Olour, Ono, Pairee, Pairi, Palmer, Parri, Pico, Pirie, Pope, Rapa, Rosa, Ruby, Rupee, Sabre, Santa Alexandrina, Sensation, Southern Blush, Spirit of '76, Springfels, Sufaida, Tommy Atkins, Tong Dum, Van Dyke, Vellai Colomban, Wally, Zardalu and Zillate.were trialled.
Only a few Keitt, Kent, NDM and okrung survive these days and a few others in nurseries here and there. All were deemed inferior or not A grade export mangoes worth pursuing commercially. The KP and erivatives stranglehold remains stronger than ever and hundreds of varieties have been trialled. I wonder if the new Floridians have some that can challenge the status quo here.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 25, 2020, 08:02:54 AM »
Sometimes is good to talk about failures as well as success. In one trail the following varieties were trialled with a view to diversifying the Australian market around 40 years ago.
Mango varieties: Akbar, Apple, Banana I, Batawi, Betti Amba, Beverly, Blue, Boribo, Brooks Late, Bullocks Heart, Carabao Harbon, Carabao Lamao, Carabao Los Banos, Carabao Mindanao, Carabao Super Manila, Coconut, Crimson Blush, Davis-Haden, Dot, Early Gold, Edward, Elephant Tusk, Fairchild, Fajri, Fascell, Florigon, Gail, Gary, Gedong, Golden Delight, Goldsworthy, Golek, Graham, Harumanis, Hatcher, Hingurakoka-Willard, Hong Sa, Hood, Indo-Chinese, Isis, Jacquelin, Jakarta, Jewel, Joe Welch, Julie, Kalapady, Keitt, Kent, Keow Savoey, Kopu Reva, Kuru, Laskarshikhan, Lippens, Maha 65, Malgoa Ramasamy, Manalagi, Mapulehu, Momi K, Nam Dok Mai, Nimrod, Ok Rong, Olour, Ono, Pairee, Pairi, Palmer, Parri, Pico, Pirie, Pope, Rapa, Rosa, Ruby, Rupee, Sabre, Santa Alexandrina, Sensation, Southern Blush, Spirit of '76, Springfels, Sufaida, Tommy Atkins, Tong Dum, Van Dyke, Vellai Colomban, Wally, Zardalu and Zillate.were trialled.
Only a few Keitt, Kent, NDM and okrung survive these days and a few others in nurseries here and there. All were deemed inferior or not A grade export mangoes worth pursuing commercially. The KP and erivatives stranglehold remains stronger than ever and hundreds of varieties have been trialled. I wonder if the new Floridians have some that can challenge the status quo here.

Was a requirement for survival to be having commercial potential (ie- long shelf life, shipping, etc.)?
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 25, 2020, 08:13:53 AM »
Most got knocked out due to a lack of market acceptance pretty early on and yes shelf life and presentation were amongst commercial considerations. Growers have been looking for a messiah mango for decades but it never arrived and riches promised with new types were false profits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 25, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
Farmers who grow Keitts, palmer, brooks tend to sell locally at low prices and NDM can be sold to southern cities for a reasonable price but its a tiny slice of the market.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 25, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
For that matter many of the locally derived types haven't faired very well. Calypso has had a lot of bad reviews so its calapso for it to some extent. Honey Gold never really took off and R2 E2 is big but nowhere near the quality of its parent KP so is a niche variety.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #844 on: June 01, 2021, 11:21:07 AM »
Seedling and a half ripe Glenn

Seedling and a Cogshall

From Left to Right, Dupuis, Carrie (runt), Glenn, Edgar, Cogshall, Sunrise, and Seedling

Looks like a mono

Sunrise won in the end.

A generous forum member brought by a seedling mango for me to sample.
The two fruit I got seemed a day apart in ripening and had a wonderful Glenn aroma coming from it.
Unlike most Glenns I've eaten this seedling mango actually lives up to the aroma.
I just ate a nice baileys marvel yesterday and I feel this seedling compares pretty well I'm terms of flavor.
It's mostly classic tasting with a drop of extra acidity and dash of bombay.
I thought the darker yellow one would be overripe but this seemed to be the stage where the rich classic flavor stood out. Sweeter to.
Compared it to a Glenn and cogshall and it was easily better.
A particularly sweet Sunrise came in at just out classed everything though.

I'm terms of classic flavor Mangos this was pretty good.
I would like to have a table with a prime classic varieties for a proper comparison
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 11:25:25 AM by skhan »

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #845 on: June 02, 2021, 08:58:54 PM »
For today's mango dinner plate we had:
Valcarrie, Orange Sherbet (Cookiemontsters Clone), Zinc

Orange Sherbert is still a bit too early, still tastes great though. Definitely can taste all orange flavor, it's just tamped down a bit. (Picked from My Yard)

Zinc was overripe, plain and simple. Didn't even finish it.
I know there's a trick to picking this one but i like the mango so much that i don't mind learning. (Picked from My Yard)

Valcarrie was great, had that nice Carrie flavor with the extra firmness I prefer. I lot stronger than most of the Angies I've had this year, in sweetness and spice.
I would be great to compare the three and Julie side by side.
(Picked from friends and TFF member's yard in Coral Springs)

Orange Sherbet (Cookiemontsters Clone) 221g

Zinc 375g

Valcarrie 524g

Orange Sherbet (Cookiemontsters Clone) Pit - 31g (Pit to Fruit 14%)

Zinc Pit - 35g (Pit to Fruit 9.3%)

Valcarrie Pit - 52g (Pit to Fruit 10%)

All three with their pits exposed. (Valcarrie, Zinc, OS) left to right

The money shots
OS

Zinc

Valcarrie

Valcarrie was mono, it had a distinct lobe on each side
OS and Zinc look like they had 4 each, so possibly poly

Round 2 with another Zinc
This one wasn't overripe but I think i left it a bit too long for my taste.
No acid balance just a one noted sweetness (same thing happens to Cac when you leave it to get fully yellow/orange)

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2021, 09:44:22 AM »
I just had Baileys Marvel, Cogshall, Edgar and Z-0 for breakfast
I'll post a review in a bit

LMk if you guys like this format, or if I'm missing any info. (Don't have a brix meter yet sorry)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 03, 2021, 10:10:06 AM »
For today's mango dinner plate we had:

Orange Sherbert is still a bit too early, still tastes great though. Definitely can taste all orange flavor, it's just tamped down a bit. (Picked from My Yard)

Zinc was overripe, plain and simple. Didn't even finish it.
I know there's a trick to picking this one but i like the mango so much that i don't mind learning. (Picked from My Yard)

Valcarrie was great, had that nice Carrie flavor with the extra firmness I prefer. I lot stronger than most of the Angies I've had this year, in sweetness and spice.
I would be great to compare the three and Julie side by side.
(Picked from friends and TFF member's yard in Coral Springs)

Orange Sherbet (Cookiemontsters Clone) 221g

Zinc 375g

Valcarrie 524g

Orange Sherbet (Cookiemontsters Clone) Pit - 31g (Pit to Fruit 14%)

Zinc Pit - 35g (Pit to Fruit 9.3%)

Valcarrie Pit - 52g (Pit to Fruit 10%)

All three with their pits exposed. (Valcarrie, Zinc, OS) left to right

The money shots
OS

Zinc

Valcarrie

Valcarrie was mono, it had a distinct lobe on each side
OS and Zinc look like they had 4 each, so possibly poly

Round 2 with another Zinc
This one wasn't overripe but I think i left it a bit too long for my taste.
No acid balance just a one noted sweetness (same thing happens to Cac when you leave it to get fully yellow/orange)

That is an issue with ZINC which is why it never really propagated by ZHPP.  Its very probe to uneven ripening, and especially the "early" crop.  There are tricks to harvesting this variety. In any event, I think you will find much more pleasure in the later/second crop (similar to Duncan...early crop can be blah and at times insipid).
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #848 on: June 03, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
Thanks Rob, I remember you mentioning that earlier

Chris from Truly tropical has a video with Walter talking about how to pick it....I still don't quite get it lol.
I find Z-0 to be pretty similar just more tart and smaller.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 03, 2021, 11:28:47 AM »
Hey Syed,

Format is very helpful, and enjoy reading them. On glen aroma I totally agree, mango is beautiful in looks with strong aroma but the ones I’ve had that aroma doesn’t translate to meaningful taste for some reason. Looking forward to Zill-0 review, I also heard from a friend that went to Zill’s yesterday and picked up some Zill-21 which evidently he was told this is first year the tree has flowered.

One thing that may also be of interest to add in these reviews is comment on possible parentage. For ex “ I was at Zills and bought this new mango that’s supposedly a cross between Carrie and Valencia pride” we know this as Val-Carrie yes, and we can also see it evident in the look and taste. I think by adding parentage info people come to an idea in their mind what the flavor may resemble if having had any of the parents.

-joe