Author Topic: Is it ok to use saran/cling wrap to wrap mango scions ???  (Read 1025 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Is it ok to use saran/cling wrap to wrap mango scions ???
« on: April 29, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »
Wondering if this is ok to use to wrap mango/tropical fruit tree scions?? Not the graft union, but the remainder of the scion to contain moisture. Anybody have experience with this???

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Is it ok to use saran/cling wrap to wrap mango scions ???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »
My father uses plastic similar to this with a decent success rate.
just have to remember that the bud likely won't push through so you have to unwrap it when its pushing

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
My father uses plastic similar to this with a decent success rate.
just have to remember that the bud likely won't push through so you have to unwrap it when its pushing

Got it. Yeah I try to cut a small slit with a sharp razor in the area of the new flush. Thank you

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
I would recommend against the use of LDPE. They do sell it as grafting tape, but it's not even biodegradeable, and it really works against the success of the graft if the intended use is to minimize transpiration.

When you graft, you can wrap the scion in parafilm or use a zip-top bag and put some moisture in it. In either case, the goal is to reduce transpiration, not to prevent it. By preventing it, you can smother the scion, keeping the transpirational flow from occurring and preventing the action of moisture supply from the rootstock occurring. You can think of it as capillary action, when you put a paper towel in water, it wicks water up. If the towel is already wet, the effect is reduced. The idea is to allow flow to occur, but to prevent the scion from drying out prematurely.

Parafilm or other paraffin waxes are used frequently for this purpose, as they limit the transpiration, and are biodegradeable.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »
It can be used, a strip cut out of a plastic bag can be used too.
But buddy tape is so much better.

Think about it like knocking a nail in with a rock, of course you can do it, but a hammer is better.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 09:53:39 PM »
I typically use parafilm, I was just curious. Cling wrap looks and feels an awful lot like buddy tape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk