Author Topic: Growing Mango from Seed  (Read 9507 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Growing Mango from Seed
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:21 PM »
I am growing mango from seeds to use as grafting rootstock.  The seeds are a hardy "bush mango" variety and are polyembryonic.  When more than one shoot spouts up, it is best to pinch off the slower-growing one immediately, try to pull the one up without damaging the primary shoot, or let 2 or 3 grow a while before culling them down to one?  What's the best way?

Thanks,
John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Herman

• View Profile
Re: Growing Mango from Seed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »
You should be able to separate each shoot easily.  If you keep the seed above the soil or soilless medium, when you see it shrink, you can separate each shoot by gently breaking it off from the others.

-Herman

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
JCaldeira,
I just keep the healthiest one and cut the rest as soon as possible! 
You have a Portuguese, Brazilian, or any other latino country's  surname.  Do you speak Portuguese?  Fala Portugues?
Berto

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  As an experiment, I pinched the 2nd shoots in some bags off and left the others alone for a week or so.  Those I am mostly able to pull up with a bit of seed attached as Herman mentioned.  I planted the whole seed, so I think pulling didn't work right away due to the endocarp.

My planting process consists of planting the seeds in the garden under about 1/2" (1-2 cm) of soil, then transfer them to bags as soon as they sprout.   

My plan is to cleft graft these when they are a month or so old or as soon as they are thick enough, using scions that have been defoliated a week before to encourage bud growth.  On the ones that fail to take the cleft graft I plan to later try veneer grafting.

John

PS:  My family name is Portugese, To the U.S. by way of a couple of generations in in Trinidad, and now to Fiji.   

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  As an experiment, I pinched the 2nd shoots in some bags off and left the others alone for a week or so.  Those I am mostly able to pull up with a bit of seed attached as Herman mentioned.  I planted the whole seed, so I think pulling didn't work right away due to the endocarp.

My planting process consists of planting the seeds in the garden under about 1/2" (1-2 cm) of soil, then transfer them to bags as soon as they sprout.   

My plan is to cleft graft these when they are a month or so old or as soon as they are thick enough, using scions that have been defoliated a week before to encourage bud growth.  On the ones that fail to take the cleft graft I plan to later try veneer grafting.

John

PS:  My family name is Portugese, To the U.S. by way of a couple of generations in in Trinidad, and now to Fiji.   

Have you ever lived in Trinidad? If you have, what are the differences you've noticed between the Indian diaspora communities in Fiji as compared to Trinidad? From what i've read, it seems as though the ones in Fiji kept more of the culture from the Indian subcontinent. Would you agree?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
Have you ever lived in Trinidad? If you have, what are the differences you've noticed between the Indian diaspora communities in Fiji as compared to Trinidad? From what i've read, it seems as though the ones in Fiji kept more of the culture from the Indian subcontinent. Would you agree?
I have not lived in Trinidad so cannot compare the cultures, but Indo-fijians generally have retained a lot of their Indian culture - especially food :-).

John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:28:06 PM »
I have not lived in Trinidad so cannot compare the cultures, but Indo-fijians generally have retained a lot of their Indian culture - especially food :-).

John

Oh okay. Would you recommend Fiji as a good place to vacation?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »
Would you recommend Fiji as a good place to vacation?

Fiji is a great place to vacation for people that enjoy water activities such as snorkeling, diving, kayaking, sailing, swimming, etc.  It is also a good place to try many tropical fruits and enjoy new cultural experiences. 

Accomodations range from backpacker dorms to 5 star hotels.  Fiji has approximately 300 islands, 100 of which are inhabited.  Most hotels are located within a couple of hours of the international airport in Nadi, but there are also some on many islands for the more adventurous.

Best months to visit are between April and October, as it is the dry season.  April through June are my favorite months because it is the dry season but the water is still very warm.  Fishing is best in November and December.

John
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:00:22 AM by jcaldeira »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
Hey John coincidence, I recently received an e-magazine "Escape from America" and Fiji was one of the places featured, seems like it would be a great place to retire to someday.

I went on a google earth tour and noticed lots of agriculture on the main Island,  what is it that they grow there? it didnt look like rice or coconuts, more of a  bush or small trees.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
Hey John coincidence, I recently received an e-magazine "Escape from America" and Fiji was one of the places featured, seems like it would be a great place to retire to someday.

I went on a google earth tour and noticed lots of agriculture on the main Island,  what is it that they grow there? it didnt look like rice or coconuts, more of a  bush or small trees.

Im thinking its probably Cassava or Taro?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Sugar cane has the most acreage on the northern and western sides of the main islands (the dryer sides).  The eastern and southern parts of the islands grow a lot of different crops, including taro root, ginger, papaya, coconut and mahogany.  Most of the mountainous interior is rain forest where some wild fruits can be found, including "kavika" (similar to rose apple), "wi", "ivi nut", and wild yams.

The volcanic soil here is very rich.  I had read that the soil contains a lot of micronutrients because it is created directly from the earth's magma that is rich in trace minerals.  In contrast, sedimentary rock has more separation of minerals based on density over the millenia.   

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
I read somewhere that you should pinch off all shoots save the one last to sprout - apparently it will be the one to bear the best quality fruit?   ???  I'm also germinating some mango seeds to grow in pots and i've been putting off pinching any shoots due to the conficting information, i'm even thinking of potting them all up just in case some fail to survive?  :P
kimi

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »
"I read somewhere that you should pinch off all shoots save the one last to sprout - apparently it will be the one to bear the best quality fruit?"

I not read or heard that about mango.  With citrus, it's exactly the opposite.  The first sprouts from polyembryonic citrus are almost always clones of the mother plant, while the last sprout is usually the fertilized one with fruit quality that is more variable.

John 

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »
Hi John :)

I'm no expert - far from it.  ;D  Because of all the contradictions on the web, i'm too scared to remove any shoots at all!   ;D 

A quick google yielded several websites that said to keep the smallest stalks:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7105872_do-grow-mango-tree-plant_.html
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2164092.htm
http://www.gardenguides.com/80585-grow-mango-plant-seed.html

Can anyone shed some light on this topic?   ;D ;D ;D
kimi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
Hi John :)

I'm no expert - far from it.  ;D  Because of all the contradictions on the web, i'm too scared to remove any shoots at all!   ;D 

A quick google yielded several websites that said to keep the smallest stalks:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7105872_do-grow-mango-tree-plant_.html
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2164092.htm
http://www.gardenguides.com/80585-grow-mango-plant-seed.html

Can anyone shed some light on this topic?   ;D ;D ;D

What are your intentions for the seedlings? Are you planning on using them as rootstock for grafting? If so, separate them all and keep them. If you are growing it for good fruit quality, I have no idea. Are these all from Kensington Pride fruit?

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »
I want them for fruit - i don't know the first thing about grafting/rootstock... but will definitely look into it when i've sponged up enough knowledge  ;D

There's a couple calypso mangoes and a couple honey gold, but mostly they're R2E2.  At this stage, the plan is pot most of them and maybe put just one in the ground... i much prefer the taste of the honey gold, but the calypso seedlings look a lot healthier at this stage, so still deciding...

when is the best time to plant them out?
kimi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 03:28:03 AM »
Sugar cane has the most acreage on the northern and western sides of the main islands (the dryer sides).  The eastern and southern parts of the islands grow a lot of different crops, including taro root, ginger, papaya, coconut and mahogany.  Most of the mountainous interior is rain forest where some wild fruits can be found, including "kavika" (similar to rose apple), "wi", "ivi nut", and wild yams.

The volcanic soil here is very rich.  I had read that the soil contains a lot of micronutrients because it is created directly from the earth's magma that is rich in trace minerals.  In contrast, sedimentary rock has more separation of minerals based on density over the millenia.

Hi John, kavika is malay apple, here in Hawaii they are called mountain apples, Syzygiuim malaccensis. Wi is called wi apple here, and is usually called in english ambarella, hog plum, or june plum, it is Spondias cytherea. Ivi nut is usually called Tahitian chestnut in english, Inocarpus fagifer.
I agree that Fiji is a wonderful place to vacation. Some of the best snorkeling and diving on the planet. Beautiful coral atolls, and very friendly native Fijian people and Indians. Been there many times, but not in many years, and i'm yearning to go back.
The big downside of living there it would seem to me is: frequent hurricanes and political problems. Remember Colonel Rambuka? I was just about to move to Fiji when the colonel took over first democratically elected congress with a gun.
Oscar

Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
Oscar, thanks for the common names of kavika, wi and ivi.  Now I can look them up in some books and the internet. 

Do you have any idea what a small fruit tree called 'Vutu' is named in English?  It typically grows by the seashore, has large waxy leaves, and produces a small (smaller than a ping pong ball) green fruit that is not edible but the nut inside is tasty and usually eaten raw.  I can post a photo of a small non-fruiting tree if it would help.

Be sure to look me up if you ever find yourself in Fiji again.  I have a small motorboat that can bring us to some amazing snorkeling.  Maybe my farm will be fruiting by then :-).

John

PS: You're right that Fiji isn't perfect.  I was also in Fiji when Rabuka took over in 1987.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer then. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:07:01 PM by jcaldeira »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »
Oscar, thanks for the common names of kavika, wi and ivi.  Now I can look them up in some books and the internet. 

Do you have any idea what a small fruit tree called 'Vutu' is named in English?  It typically grows by the seashore, has large waxy leaves, and produces a small (smaller than a ping pong ball) green fruit that is not edible but the nut inside is tasty and usually eaten raw.  I can post a photo of a small non-fruiting tree if it would help.

Be sure to look me up if you ever find yourself in Fiji again.  I have a small motorboat that can bring us to some amazing snorkeling.  Maybe my farm will be fruiting by then :-).

John

PS: You're right that Fiji isn't perfect.  I was also in Fiji when Rabuka took over in 1987.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer then.

Hi John, don't know what plant vutu refers to. Could it be what we call kukui nut? Loo here: http://www.traditionaltree.org/ under Aleurite mollucana. If that is not it a photo would help. Thanks for the invite. If i'm ever lucky enough to make it back to sweet Fiji i will definitely look you up. You're right, no place is perfect. In those days i was looking for the perfect utopia and Fiji helped me realize how naive i was!
Oscar
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
Fiji is on my list of places to visit.  Was in Australia last year and this close to getting over there but it was not to be...this time.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 04:19:16 PM »
Fiji is on my list of places to visit.  Was in Australia last year and this close to getting over there but it was not to be...this time.

Used to be all the flights to Australia and New Zealand from USA stopped over in Fiji for refueling. That's how i found out about Fiji as i extended my stop and ended up liking Fiji a lot more than my final destination.
Oscar
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »
If any of you are planning a Fiji trip, please allow me to show you a little bit of Fiji while you're here.  I'm near Rakiraki, on the most northern part of Viti Levu Island.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 02:58:40 AM »
If any of you are planning a Fiji trip, please allow me to show you a little bit of Fiji while you're here.  I'm near Rakiraki, on the most northern part of Viti Levu Island.

John

Thanks John, one of these days i'm gonna take you up on it and you'll find me on your doorstep. I recommend Fiji to all other members, it's an awesome tropical destination. Fijians are also super friendly and welcoming people. Tops Hawaii in many ways! Fiji is the real South Pacific adventure.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk