Author Topic: Mango Chemistry  (Read 2835 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Mango Chemistry
« on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
Came across these pie charts on the volatile components of some mango varieties, I was curious to see if I could find some correlation between specific chemicals and traits such as flavor, and shelf life.

I soon realized its not that easy,  each segment or component groups could be further divided into more chemical groups.

Its amazing how much variation there is between mango varieties. these charts may be helpful for someone fiddling with the idea breeding new varieties.   notice the complexity in some varieties, such as Sindhu. Neelam and Ratna.   Sindhu has non viable seeds by the way, but wonder if its pollen can be used for crossing.

Using a variety with complex traits in one of the parents, could make for a lot of variation in breeding programs.

Not easy to decipher how each of these components translates into a trait in a mango,  lactones are credited for giving a mango its coconut / peach type flavor.

3-carene, methoxyl furanone, and 5-methyl furfural, also attribute to a mangoes taste and aroma.

Also notice the high relative level of ketones in Keitt and Neelam,  ketones are what supposedly give raspberries and acai some of its beneficial attributes.  but do they also give mangoes a longer shelf life? Keitt and Neelam, have a reputation for having a good post harvest shelf life. maybe its some other marker all together.

Compare Kesar and Osteen with Chaunsa, so chemically different, what up with that !?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:01:13 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
Anyone breeding the 40% alcohol mango?
Tim

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
Very interesting. A lot of work was done with this in AU as well. I will see if I can find the charts. In the mean time, can you re upload those images to your own hosting so they are no longer 'hot-linked'? Thanks.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
Very interesting. A lot of work was done with this in AU as well. I will see if I can find the charts. In the mean time, can you re upload those images to your own hosting so they are no longer 'hot-linked'? Thanks.

Put em on photobucket :)

anything you have on this, i would like to see.

Here is a link to a very good document and list on this subject, check page 20.
TITLE:  DIFFERENCES IN SENSORY CHARACTERISTICS AMONG VARIOUS MANGO
CULTIVARS IN THE FORM OF FRESH SLICED MANGO, MANGO PURÉE, AND
MANGO SORBET

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2097/12125/ChristieLedeker2011.pdf;jsessionid=D08E67F01D7E5188D26861404F1619AA?sequence=1

Big list of mango compounds: Title: Volatile Components from Mango

http://www.aseanfood.info/Articles/11018260.pdf
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:26:14 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "