Author Topic: Top 5 mangoes  (Read 34253 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 mangoes
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
Hey Tim  :) . Care to elaborate on NDM Sai Tong vs. regular NDM differences? Some months back I read that (from Excalibur) the Sai Tong was just a bigger version of NDM but the taste were similair.

Its the color of the skin that is the big difference. Sia Tong turns bright yellow.  Flavor is very close.  For me, Sia Tong is considerably more productive than NDM.
While I agree that Siathong will obtain a somewhat more uniform "yellow" color, I have not seen it and what would be defined as "bright".  If looking for an alternative to NDM with a slightly different flavor profile, I would go with Bram Kai Mai/Brahm Kai Mei...while it can be eaten green, I find it to be even better when let to color up some on the tree and eaten as a ripe mango.  It can almost be peeled and eaten like a banana.
- Rob

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »
After eating a Maha Chanok this year I am amending my list. It is now:
1. Edward
2. Maha Chanok
3. Kent
4. Properly ripened Mallika
5. Keitt
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Hey Tim  :) . Care to elaborate on NDM Sai Tong vs. regular NDM differences? Some months back I read that (from Excalibur) the Sai Tong was just a bigger version of NDM but the taste were similair.

Its the color of the skin that is the big difference. Sia Tong turns bright yellow.  Flavor is very close.  For me, Sia Tong is considerably more productive than NDM.
While I agree that Siathong will obtain a somewhat more uniform "yellow" color, I have not seen it and what would be defined as "bright".  If looking for an alternative to NDM with a slightly different flavor profile, I would go with Bram Kai Mai/Brahm Kai Mei...while it can be eaten green, I find it to be even better when let to color up some on the tree and eaten as a ripe mango.  It can almost be peeled and eaten like a banana.

Sorry to have to disagree, but I have to, as my experience is totally contrary and preferences would be in complete disagreement.  First, I did not use the description of "bright yellow" haphazardly.  My Sia Tongs are bright yellow.  Secondly, in my opinion, there is no comparison in size or flavor with Brahm Kai Mea/Brahm Kai Meu.  BKM is more productive and consistantly so than NDM at my house.  However, at my house, NDM and Sia Tong are highly prized and BKM is barely eaten.  I find the flavor far superior in NDM and ST.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
from the few i have tasted:
madame francine,pascual and haden.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »
To be honest, I like Southern Blush more for flavor & complexity.  But the kicker for me in Sia Tong is that it has a unique durian flavor/aroma, or at least they seem so to us.
Tim

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

I do not have available all the other varieties mentioned, my trees are still small and do not produce fruit yet, ( LZ, CC, NDM, Lancetilla, Maha Chanok Alphonso)  out of the local varieties, the ones I have enjoyed the most was the Pascual, which is a bit acidic like an orange, which gives a nice twang to the mango flavor.  little fiber, and is huge.

I didn't see any Hadens or Kents this year at the Mango festival. seems they are disappearing as farmers switch to Keitts.   prefer a Kent over Keitt, but more profit for farmers in the later.

Next year I'm going to try and make a trip in the summer to Fla, so I can try out  some of the much talked about varieties here in the forum.  my NDM and Lancetilla,  should flower this year. as those plants are big enough. 

this year i only tried 1 new variety "Osteen" and it was pretty darn good, even though it was just a sample "piece", I want to try a whole one.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »

I do not have available all the other varieties mentioned, my trees are still small and do not produce fruit yet, ( LZ, CC, NDM, Lancetilla, Maha Chanok Alphonso)  out of the local varieties, the ones I have enjoyed the most was the Pascual, which is a bit acidic like an orange, which gives a nice twang to the mango flavor.  little fiber, and is huge.

I didn't see any Hadens or Kents this year at the Mango festival. seems they are disappearing as farmers switch to Keitts.   prefer a Kent over Keitt, but more profit for farmers in the later.

Next year I'm going to try and make a trip in the summer to Fla, so I can try out  some of the much talked about varieties here in the forum.  my NDM and Lancetilla,  should flower this year. as those plants are big enough. 

this year i only tried 1 new variety "Osteen" and it was pretty darn good, even though it was just a sample "piece", I want to try a whole one.

most of my grafted plants(keitt,pascual,parvin,tommy and bizcochuelo) did produce flowers already except the bizcochuelo and don't remember if the parvin did...so i guess they can be grafted already, just let me know and the scions are yours.

what i like about the pascual is that it's quite big without any fiber, which is good when you want to eat it right away but i prefer madame francine as it's a bit less messy with better flavor. i don't know how vigorous pascual would be as i can't find that information online...my grafted one seems to be growing quite slowly, probably needs a larger pot.

did you ever try the ataulfo? it seems really good tasting...i wonder if this is the one i tried instead of alphonso.

too bad i never went to the mango festival  :P

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Hmm I think i tried a supermarket imported Ataulfo in the states, that I did not care for. they are probably good off the tree.

I have tried a local "Manila" , I planted the seed, and got two sprouts, not sure which is the clone or which is the mutt, but have them both growing.

At Hipolito Mejia's ranch, is the only place I know of with mature Alphonso trees, I have never tried one, but what i can gather, the Alphonso's quality seems to depend greatly on climate, soil etc. they may have a reputation as being the best Mango in the world in India, but everywhere else, its seem to have mediocre flavor according to the posts I have seen.  plus Alphonso are not very productive, compared to say, a Kesar.

Also thanks for the Scion offer :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
the Alphonso's quality seems to depend greatly on climate, soil etc. they may have a reputation as being the best Mango in the world in India, but everywhere else, its seem to have mediocre flavor according to the posts I have seen.

I agree. I have tasted ripe Alphonso mangos from India, which could have been the best mangos I have ever had, while Alphonsos grown outside of India are described as average tasting...

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
yeah it happens that some fruit doesn't taste the same grown somewhere else but i'm confident as mangoes do very well here but besides that we have many microclimates at higher altitude.

well mangoes in my experience the polyembryonic mangoes can produce up to 5 seedlings from a single seed. i believe the sexual seedling will be more than likely be dead already...as i often have 3 or 4 sprouts and only 2 make it. but anyways as long as you keep 2 plants you will always have the variety and maybe a new one as well.

i will try to get a couple of the ataulfo mangoes as they are also polyembryonic.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
My favorite all time mango is Tommy Atkins. I really love attractively colored fruit that is totally bland tasting. While on topic of bland tasting foods, i also love raw potatoes, unsalted ofcourse!  ;)
Seriously, some of the best tasting mangos in Hawaii are:
Rapoza
Gouveia
White Pirie
Carrie
Golden Glow
Oscar

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
I have yet to taste Maha or Angie, or some of the new Zill cultivars. But  my favorites among the oldy goldies are Kent, Dot, Keitt, and Valencia Pride.  None of these is consistently excellent; maybe that's too much to ask of a fruit.   I also tasted Edgar for the first time this year, and that would be in my top five as well.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
http://www.trubus-online.com/trubus/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=447:new-selections-for-cultivating-mango&catid=98:topic&Itemid=494

This site has nice info about new species with the sweetness brix levels. Irwin should be sweet like ndm

I have the khio-jay which on the site has fruits of 500 gram but the salesman told me they will be 2kg....

I also have Yu wen which also gets 2 kg max.

Can anybody tell me if they are nice?

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »
http://www.trubus-online.com/trubus/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=447:new-selections-for-cultivating-mango&catid=98:topic&Itemid=494

This site has nice info about new species with the sweetness brix levels. Irwin should be sweet like ndm

I have the khio-jay which on the site has fruits of 500 gram but the salesman told me they will be 2kg....

I also have Yu wen which also gets 2 kg max.

Can anybody tell me if they are nice?

I have seen Yu Wen being sold on Ebay.  have not seen mention of it on here though.
William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 04:42:51 AM »
http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/mango.htm

Jason Nursery in Guangdong showed promise with lychees and bayberries but I don't know anyone who has got the seedless lychees out of them.I wonder how good the mangoes are.I suspect they are excellent but it isn't easy to get them from China.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Sorry i forgot to add my top 5.

1- NDM 4
2- Okrung
3- a green one we think it is Brahm Kai Mea
4- ?
5  ?

I finally found out what i bought on Chatuchak market last week, it is not Irwin or Yu-wen but it is Aiwen the most grown mango of Taiwan. I read that in hot tropics it will grow too fast so the flavor gets weaker. I will see and if i dont like it i cut it off the tree one day.

Mike on your link about China mango's i see at the bottom ivory (elephant tusk)  mango with red blushes. That one was also sold on Chatuchak but i want to know if it is nice before i buy it. I have enough colored mango's now so i only go for flavor from now on. I have plenty species now so i only buy really good ones.

Irwin mango has 20 brix as NDM has, why nobody mentions it as being very nice? It is not only sweetness that makes a mango nice but sure it is important.

Pitless lychee is also on my list but we have never seen it.

This is Aiwen mango, original from Florida

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »

Perhaps they are referring to the Florida mango called Irwin?  Maybe something was lost on the translation.  I don't know of a Florida mango called Aiwen.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »

Perhaps they are referring to the Florida mango called Irwin?  Maybe something was lost on the translation.  I don't know of a Florida mango called Aiwen.

Haha please don't go there! It took me more then a week to find out what species i bought while it is written in Thai language on the tree. I thought exactly the same as you that it should be Irwin but i let my wife type it in Thai and this is what google found:
http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en-TH&source=hp&q=%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99&gbv=2&oq=%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%80&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3.0.0i19.3062.6578.0.8000.12.11.0.1.1.1.422.2425.2-4j3j1.8.0...0.0...1c.1.XlIXPmtgHOI

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »
The Thai search shows a mango that has some of the characteristics of Irwin but seems longer than the Irwins I have grown or seen. It would be interesting to compare them internally and of course, eating experience-wise.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
Irwin is an older type commercial variety still grown in some places. but not as popular as in years past, as more commercial farmers are switching to newer varieties, there are a few reasons for this.  Irwin ( at least in my experience ) is a decent tasting mango but suffers from jelly seed, and un-even ripening. I purchased 10 this year, and if i was lucky to get a good one, they were really good, but most had jelly seed.  probably due to all the rain we had this year.

Another reason I suspect is, that they do not hold up well when hot water dip treatment is used. ( required for exporting mangoes into the US )  Palmer, Kent, are also old popular commercial varieties that are not being grown as much as in the past.  personally I like Kent because of its smoothness even if its considered a mild flavored mango by many here.  I have not tried many of the other varieties which I am sure will become my future favorites, such as Lemon Zest. Coconut Cream. Maha Chanok. and even NDM which I have not had yet.

I have a mission to visit Fla during mango season next year.  that is if the world doesn't end in Dec 21  ;D :P ::)
William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 01:51:12 AM »

I just took this picture and Nam Doc Mai is at the back,at least one of the NDM varieties that is here.At the front however is a more exciting mango, Sam Ru Du -the 3 seasons mango.Besides fruiting out of season they taste great.I thought they were the same as chocadam but I have been told by thai mango enthusiasts that SRD is better tasting,fruits more out of season and is held in much higher esteem.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »
Mun sam rue do i easy to graft, i have them on my tree's. Here people eat them green, i forgot when i ate them.
For green mango khio savoey is also a nice one. When there are no green papayas Thai use them to make pokpok (sum tam).

Chocanon can fruit more times then sam rue do. I m making a multigraft tree on a chocanon but i was stupid to not see that the chocanon-tree is grafted on some rootstock as well. So i dont know if my grafts will also fruit out of season now. I should use a chocanon rootstock for that  i guess but now it is too late because 4 grafts are alive on the tree now. I will give it to somebody where it can grow in full soil and full sun.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2012, 05:13:35 AM »
Bangkok the local thai people here call this 'village' sam ru du and does it look the same as the one you know there? Okrung,keow sawoy,NDM and elephant tusk are enjoyed by the thai community here also but they go bonkers over this one.It is firm when yellow and I find it like okrung but maybe better and a bit ahead of NDM.Last year they wetre in the markets right through winter but not this year.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
My wife thinks the lower one is chocanon. I have no idea about the "village" one. I would pick the ndm because this one has the perfect colors, green yellow pink that means the taste changes all the time. All yellow is only sweet and taste the same all over.