Author Topic: Wurtz Avocado from Excalibur is Type AB?  (Read 7138 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wurtz Avocado from Excalibur is Type AB?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 02:54:26 PM »
I hear that any variety of avocado "gets mixed up" in cloudy weather--- "can't tell the time of day"--- and opens flowers of both sexes at the same time.
Har

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wurtz Avocado from Excalibur is Type AB?
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »
My wurst is about 3 years in the ground and was bought as a larger tree I think 15 gallon sized. Have had horrible issue with small brown beetles eating holes in the leaves. It has flowered twice, this year and last and not a single fruit set. Have been at a loss with it. Hope next year something changes. Had no choice but to spray it to kill these beetles a few months ago, but I think they are back cuz new flushes have some leaves with holes.

Did you get your Wurtz tree from Excalibur? The only pest I have is Sri Lanka Weevil, which is quite easy to take care of. I just go out once in a while during morning and evening, hand pinch any weevil I found. You might want to try Sevin Dust. I was told in the morning while the leaves still have dew, sprinkle some Sevin Dust on cardboard, and blow the dust toward the tree to create a dust cloud and the dust will stick to the leaves for better control.

I have not seen any sri lanka weavles, instead they are brown but have similar shape to the white sri lanka. I sprayed with Sevin not long ago and it seemed to subside for a bit. Gonna have to start checking tree in the evenings to see if they are back.