Author Topic: Mexican mangosteen flood tolerance?  (Read 1970 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Mexican mangosteen flood tolerance?
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
I have searched, I have found some info, but nothing terribly definitive.  Does anyone know the flood tolerance of the Mexican Mangosteen?  Trying to figure out where to put it in my yard.  Also, I understand they prefer full sun, true?

Thanks!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican mangosteen flood tolerance?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
Do you mean Luc's Mexican Garcnia sp.?
If so, they can take massive amounts of water, like Jaboticaba. I have had my potted trees in tubs of water for a couple months at  time with not perceived ill effects.  I think I recall Raul showing one growing on the side of a river bank.
That said, they do prefer shade for the first 2-3 years. I have had most of mine in shade for that amount before introducing them to direct S. Fla sun. They tend to burn.

Keep in mind that my oldest trees are 4-5 years old and have not yet flowered for me.
Keith

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:29:29 AM »
Thank you.  I had also read that they grow on riverbanks, so I assumed they were flood tolerant. 

Very bummed about your 4-5 year old trees not fruiting yet.  I know the purple mangosteens are very slow growing, I assumed these would be also.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:25:27 AM »
Sure, it’s a slow grower.  My best one is about 3m tall and has flowered twice without setting fruit.  I’m a little concerned that it needs cross pollination to set.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
I have some 4 meters tall that have not fruited yet. They flowered once, but not at good time....high winds and pounding rain knocked all the flowers off. From what i remember Raul and Luc saying, they don't need cross pollination.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
I hope that’s so.  I was wondering about that and thinking that maybe they haven’t really proved that with a tree that is isolated for sure.  I have two that are planted far from each other, one has flowered lightly twice and the flowers simply fell off.  It could also be that certain trees need cross pollination and others no.  I have two other South American garcinias that are self sterile or practically so.  It’s interesting!
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:49 AM »
I hope that’s so.  I was wondering about that and thinking that maybe they haven’t really proved that with a tree that is isolated for sure.  I have two that are planted far from each other, one has flowered lightly twice and the flowers simply fell off.  It could also be that certain trees need cross pollination and others no.  I have two other South American garcinias that are self sterile or practically so.  It’s interesting!
Peter
With garcinias the need for cross pollination is the extreme exception rather than the rule. But we'll find more about the exact needs of Mexican garcinia in next couple of years i'm sure.
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
Peter

A member here in FL got a fruit from his lone tree. No cross pollination

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
Great, I wonder why mine hasn’t set. There’s been a few flowers in small, tight groups on some different branches and there’s lots of pollinators around. Patience.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
Some trees in the wild have some of their roots growing in the water .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north